Why-Why-Zee or Why-Why-Zed?

Magnus

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Nov 4 2007, 06:20 PM)
By the looks of the thread, it looks like I should change the way I sing the alphabet.

...double u, ecks, why and zed. Know I know my ay bee ced's, won't you come and sing with med?

Nice...

I've always called it YYZee, but hey, no matter how you say it, it still kicks some major ass, does it not?

QUOTE (Tom C @ Nov 4 2007, 06:40 PM)
YYZed, listen to some of the bootlegs from the MP tour, and Geddy pointedly says to US audiences that it is YYZed. If it's good enough for big nose, it's good enough for the rest of us.

There you have it, then.

Regardless, as I'm sure we all know, most of us will refer to it in the same way we always have.

biggrin.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (Analogkid1123 @ Nov 4 2007, 10:44 PM)
considering its based off of the airport and the airport is YYZeeeeeee

then it has to be YYZeeeeeeee

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I don't get it...

QUOTE (makehaste2112 @ Nov 1 2007, 06:44 PM)
Do Canadians pronounce z's "zed"?

If they do, I will also!

tongue.gif

Yes they do.

I work at a US radio station in a border town. It was hard to get used to Canadians saying 'zed' but most of them do.

It's YYZed, but I'm so used to calling it YYZee, that I can't force myself to call it Zed.

Interestingly, Canadians do say ZeeZee Top, not ZedZed Top.

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Nov 5 2007, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (makehaste2112 @ Nov 1 2007, 06:44 PM)
Do Canadians pronounce z's "zed"?

If they do, I will also!

tongue.gif

Yes they do.

I work at a US radio station in a border town. It was hard to get used to Canadians saying 'zed' but most of them do.

It's YYZed, but I'm so used to calling it YYZee, that I can't force myself to call it Zed.

Interestingly, Canadians do say ZeeZee Top, not ZedZed Top.

I say "Zee Zee Top" because they are an American band and that is how they pronounce it. That is my Canadian perspective on that.

Other than that, as a Canadian I say YYZed and I use to own a Camaro Zed28. tongue.gif

When I first saw the title, I thought it was pronounced Y-Y-Zee. Even now I keep referring it as that. And.....

:o Uh-oh. I've just bumped a 7 year old thread.

Darn. :facepalm:

• Like 6

Zed. The airport it was titled after is YYZed, therefore it is YYZed.

Case closed.

The airport is called "Toronto Pearson International Airport". The code for the airport is "YYZ" (or "CYYZ"). I have a hard time believing that American pilots say "YYZed" when saying the airport code.

• Like 1

According to my French teacher it's Zed.
  • Like 1

Case closed.

The airport is called "Toronto Pearson International Airport". The code for the airport is "YYZ" (or "CYYZ"). I have a hard time believing that American pilots say "YYZed" when saying the airport code.

When you fly in they tell you that you are arriving at YYZed.

Case closed.

I don't remember them saying that to me. In fact, unless I've blocked it out, I've never been on a plane in which they announce the airport code for the airport into which you are flying: they always use the actual name of the airport.

-Why do Americans view themselves as centre of the universe?? It's Zed. Everywhere except in US and only because Americans wanted to be different and changed it.

-Zed because otherwise it would be confused with other letters like Vee or Cee. Who cares how the alphabet "flows"?? It's not a poem..

-YYZed!! There's a Geddy interview where the interviewer asks about YYZee and Geddy answers back and says YYZed..

-Oh ya and in canada we usually say Zee Zee Top. Because it's a proper name. Just like YYZ. The alphabet doesn't need to "flow" but sometimes it's nice if words do.. Especially ZZ top baby ;)

Case closed.

I don't remember them saying that to me. In fact, unless I've blocked it out, I've never been on a plane in which they announce the airport code for the airport into which you are flying: they always use the actual name of the airport.

Of all the places you've been, I have a hard time believing you've never flown into LAX.

I say it zee, and I also say PURT. yes, I know better.

Ugly American. :)

Case closed.

Of all the places you've been, I have a hard time believing you've never flown into LAX.

I've only flown into there once in 1998 on my way to Korea (then China). I don't remember them calling it LAX, but I'm not saying they didn't. I do know that people do call the airport by that name in shorthand, though. When I flew into Toronto no one called the airport YYZ (as in, "Can you take me to YYZ, driver?" or "How were the lines at YYZ?"). Maybe people do, but I've never heard it.