Good news for New Jersey squirrel eaters

owlswing

ohmy.gif When I heard this on the new this morning I thought it was a joke but reading the news now I saw it again...

Good news for New Jersey squirrel eaters Tue Oct 30, 2:36 PM ET

Squirrel eaters in the US state of New Jersey have been told that the bushy-tailed rodents are likely safe to eat, after earlier being advised the unlikely delicacies could contain toxic metals.

The Environmental Protection Agency said earlier this year it had discovered high levels of lead in a squirrel taken from near a waste dump in the Ringwood area and advised people to eat the rodents no more than twice a week.

Officials have now said the test results were an error.

"A blender that was used to process the tissues into usable samples was defective and was identified as the source of the lead contamination," the Environmental Protection Agency said in a statement dated Monday.

The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife describes squirrel as "good table fare," offering recipes for squirrel chowder, stew and barbecue.

"The Environmental Protection Agency said earlier this year it had discovered high levels of lead in a squirrel taken from near a waste dump in the Ringwood area and advised people to eat the rodents no more than twice a week."

I eat squirrel only once a week, so I'm good. Phew! http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/18.gif

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend a good side dish?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 31 2007, 06:54 PM)

Acorn squash? hehe...

laugh.gif

Perfect!

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Oct 31 2007, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 31 2007, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 31 2007, 06:54 PM)

Acorn squash? hehe...

laugh.gif

Perfect!

spit6ph.gif

...but of course... rofl3.gif

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

We have several hazel nut trees in our yard. The squirrels are busy storing up for the winter. I watch them every day digging their holes and storing the nuts for future use.

What I want to know is how they remember where they buried their nuts.

From my understanding, they only recover a small percentage of their own buried nuts, so the trick, I guess, is to bury a lot of them.

My dog buries things all over the yard, then comes across them weeks or months later.

• Like 1

I think they each have an individual scent, and can recognise it when they come across it. So they can SNIFF their nuts out...

RpClKD3.gif

• Like 1