It SUCKS to be a Lions fan!

QUOTE (Sark @ Jan 7 2005, 07:47 AM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 6 2005, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Jan 5 2005, 03:33 PM)
It really does suck to be a fan of the forlorn never-been-to-the-Super-Bowl-or-even-come-very-close Detroit Lions. Lowered expectations are a way of life. "Next year!" the everlasting battle cry (and that is in OCTOBER!)  icon_really_happy_guy.gif "But look at our hockey/basketball/baseball team!" the yearly defense. Oy!

Even Barry Sanders knew it was a sinking ship.

Can a fellow fan or two share my pain here? Even if you have another fave team. Maybe the Browns, or the Cardinals. Anyone? Anyone?

It could be worse BSG you could be a Viking fan. A Team year after year who seem to have it all but always seem to choke or have disaster strike at the most inopportune times.Remember 4th and 25 on the last play of the game last year against Arizona to knock them out of the playoffs.Remember the chip shot field goal against Atlanta years back that cost them a trip to the super bowl,hell our kicker set a record for most consecutive field goals ( 2 years) until that one shanked left and what about the Hail Mary against Dallas, Stauback launched a brilliant career at our expense, the prevent defense was originated from that one play and i can only imagine what heartache will be bestowed upon us this sunday against the hated Packers.So see BSG it could be worse you could be cheering for the purple and gold this sunday. trink39.gif yes.gif

Hey fellow Vikes fan! I must admit, I do bleed purple and gold but they have sucked latley! I suppose backing into the playoffs is better than not being there at all. I just hope they can scrape up whatever they have left as far as team spirit goes. After all, they are playing the reviled green and gold at Lambeau field!

Guaranteed SNOW! laugh.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 6 2005, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 6 2005, 11:23 AM)
Detroit has a football team????? confused13.gif

And Arizona does I suppose....... rofl3.gif

...soon to be renamed the Arizona Budgies laugh.gif

Touche Ricky! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Now this thread brings forth an interesting question:

Is it worse to NEVER come close to glory, (Lions and Cardinals) or to come SOOO close, to have your hopes dashed? (Think Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills, or Minnesota Vikings.)

And a third option is the 49's scenario. For the once-mighty to have fallen on hard times?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (BSG @ Jan 7 2005, 06:38 AM)

Is it worse to NEVER come close to glory, (Lions and Cardinals) or to come SOOO close, to have your hopes dashed? (Think Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills, or Minnesota Vikings.)

And a third option is the 49's scenario. For the once-mighty to have fallen on hard times?

confused13.gif

Some band or other I heard somewhere wrote a song about this:

Sadder still to watch it die

Than never to have known it....

Anyways, I feel your pain there. I have been a Browns fan for my whole life mind you, and nothing has come of the team since they came back to the league in 1999. Now maybe that Butch Davis is finally gone, we will be able to get some good players and get the team back where it once was before they left Cleveland. Let's hope! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Sark @ Jan 7 2005, 07:47 AM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 6 2005, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Jan 5 2005, 03:33 PM)
It really does suck to be a fan of the forlorn never-been-to-the-Super-Bowl-or-even-come-very-close Detroit Lions. Lowered expectations are a way of life. "Next year!" the everlasting battle cry (and that is in OCTOBER!)  icon_really_happy_guy.gif "But look at our hockey/basketball/baseball team!" the yearly defense. Oy!

Even Barry Sanders knew it was a sinking ship.

Can a fellow fan or two share my pain here? Even if you have another fave team. Maybe the Browns, or the Cardinals. Anyone? Anyone?

It could be worse BSG you could be a Viking fan. A Team year after year who seem to have it all but always seem to choke or have disaster strike at the most inopportune times.Remember 4th and 25 on the last play of the game last year against Arizona to knock them out of the playoffs.Remember the chip shot field goal against Atlanta years back that cost them a trip to the super bowl,hell our kicker set a record for most consecutive field goals ( 2 years) until that one shanked left and what about the Hail Mary against Dallas, Stauback launched a brilliant career at our expense, the prevent defense was originated from that one play and i can only imagine what heartache will be bestowed upon us this sunday against the hated Packers.So see BSG it could be worse you could be cheering for the purple and gold this sunday. trink39.gif yes.gif

Hey fellow Vikes fan! I must admit, I do bleed purple and gold but they have sucked latley! I suppose backing into the playoffs is better than not being there at all. I just hope they can scrape up whatever they have left as far as team spirit goes. After all, they are playing the reviled green and gold at Lambeau field!

Aha finally another vikes fan. I thought i was alone in my pain.

Sark dont forget to post your playoff picks on the Its time to pound your local bookie thread.

Sun. 4pm... The Vikings are coming... TheVikings are coming 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (BSG @ Jan 7 2005, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 6 2005, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 6 2005, 11:23 AM)
Detroit has a football team????? confused13.gif

And Arizona does I suppose....... rofl3.gif

...soon to be renamed the Arizona Budgies laugh.gif

Touche Ricky! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

confused13.gif

I do love the NFL for the fact that poor teams still have a chance in the future because they get first picks in the rookie draft. The typical recent examples being the Cowboys in 92/93 after going 1-15 the season before, The Pat's after being farging rice for years, The Buc's ...ditto. Even the likes of the Panthers who are still NFL babies so to speak, reaching the final immediately following an abysmal season. But!!!! There are always exceptions, and these are the likes of Arizona, Detroit, Chicago (despite winning in '85 have done nowt since and had one good season a few years ago), Cincinatti (one SB final in '88 - but murdered slowly - nothing since)

The formula I think is:

MUST have a top Running Back well on top of their game

MUST have a quality Quarter Back

MUST have at least one good Receiver

MUST have a good Defence (sorry - Defense) laugh.gif

only one excepton to this was the Ravens when they won purely on arguably the best defense the NFL has seen... with no real offense to talk about.

Heck this is fun...and I've had a few trink38.gif 's laugh.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 8 2005, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 8 2005, 12:55 PM)
A quarterback is only as good as his offensive line.

And that's the truth! yes.gif

Finally, someone who agrees with me! See, Peyton Manning is a good quarterback, and he broke the single season TD record, but he has a great line and amazing WRs and TEs at his disposal. Many quarterbacks could have done what he did if they had what he has. There's my take on the whole thing. trink39.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 8 2005, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 8 2005, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 8 2005, 12:55 PM)
A quarterback is only as good as his offensive line.

And that's the truth! yes.gif

Finally, someone who agrees with me! See, Peyton Manning is a good quarterback, and he broke the single season TD record, but he has a great line and amazing WRs and TEs at his disposal. Many quarterbacks could have done what he did if they had what he has. There's my take on the whole thing. trink39.gif

Exactly! I do congratulate Peyton Manning on his accomplishment, but one cannot take the fact unnoticed that the offensive line he was working with was exceptional, not to mention some near-impossible catches the recievers made.

...this comes full circle to the thread about the Colts. If the Colts had had a half-decent defense, then Manning would have a SB ring by now, maybe more than one.

It is quite a shame, because he and Marvin Harrison hves to be one of the best passing-receiving partnerships ever to grace the NFL. But alas, will the Colts ever win the Superbowl?

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 8 2005, 06:22 PM)
...this comes full circle to the thread about the Colts. If the Colts had had a half-decent defense, then Manning would have a SB ring by now, maybe more than one.

It is quite a shame, because he and Marvin Harrison hves to be one of the best passing-receiving partnerships ever to grace the NFL. But alas, will the Colts ever win the Superbowl?

Very good question rickyrob. I don't really think anyone knows if they will or not. I mean, you are right about the Colts defense and it's horrible. If they could actually get a defense, they would easily be the best team in the NFL in my opinion. There offense is simply amazing, and Manning and Harrison have something very special.

Archived