The Amp Thread!

Soni

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Oct 29 2007, 03:03 AM)
I made up my mind this weekend. The Switchblade is going on Ebay in the next few days.

The zenTera does everything I need and sounds better doing it. I started using the G-Major's noise gate and that took care of the noise issue so I'm done looking at other amps.

What really clinched the decision was how much the zen can sound like the amps Alex used. One example is the tone on Hemispheres (Hiwatt BTW!). I can absolutely nail that one with the zen and the SB doesn't get close.

Did you put the SB on Ebay or do you still have it? I talked to someone the other day who may be interested in it.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 29 2007, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (_pete_ @ Oct 29 2007, 03:03 AM)
I made up my mind this weekend. The Switchblade is going on Ebay in the next few days.

The zenTera does everything I need and sounds better doing it. I started using the G-Major's noise gate and that took care of the noise issue so I'm done looking at other amps.

What really clinched the decision was how much the zen can sound like the amps Alex used. One example is the tone on Hemispheres (Hiwatt BTW!). I can absolutely nail that one with the zen  and the SB doesn't get close.

Did you put the SB on Ebay or do you still have it? I talked to someone the other day who may be interested in it.

I put it on Ebay and it's already gone. I had to drop the price twice though.

I ended up breaking even. Grrrr.

Ok, I am hooked on AmpliTube. I may trade in my Line 6 stuff, since their is plenty of crossover and I am thinking that AmpliTube sounds better, AND it is easier because the guitar can be directly injected into the recording interface via a preamp or DI. This eliminates all of the POD hardware. For studio situations this is ideal. If AmpFarm were available on anything but HD-RTAS exclusively I would be using it, instead AmpliTube has filled the market need for the same thing for VST, DX, AU, or RTAS. Plus AmpliTube is way more versatile because it has dual signal path capability, and when used as a plugin you can route multiple amps (depending on the routing capabilities of your DAW software).

I know it's not a physical amp, but this sounds so good. I highly recommend it. AmpliTube has the same amps modeled in POD, minus a few, but these models sound a little more convincing and the effects don't make the sound mushy like I think the POD does. There are way more effects available too including stomp and rack style effects. Plus you can choose mic placement and distance, with a variety of mic models to choose from including an Shure SM 57, Neumann U 87, Senheisser 441 & 421 and AKG 414.

For all you virtual geeks out there like me!

I recently bought the Ampeg BA 115T and I'm very fond of it, I've jammed with a drummer and it was loud enough to hear the bass clearly while only having the amps master volume turned up halfway. It has five eq style selections and I get a great tone from it but it's been bothering me a lot because I keep getting distorted sounds and the speaker stops making sounds sometimes, it usually stops when I change the eq and tweek the volume but it really scares me when that happens.

Okay I have a marshall mg15, yes I know all of you are about to say "Get a new amp" Well I want too, and I want to know what direction to go in, and how much to save up. I was thinking along the lines of a REAL AMP and not just a chunk of plastic that amplifies a fan. I DO want to stick with Marshall. 1022.gif

So any of the expierienced guitarists please help me out. confused13.gif 1022.gif

Edited by TheresThatThing

This is already in the guitar thread, but I guess it really belongs here:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc95/chrisfreeman32/GuitarGear019.jpg

2006 Mesa Boogie LoneStar 100/50 Watts Class A/B.

Uses 4 6L6, but can be swapped with EL34 thanks to a hardwired Bias switch in the back. I have yet to try the EL34 option. It also has 5 12ax7 preamp tubes and a single rectifier tube.

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Feb 13 2008, 09:50 PM)
Crate FXT 120 for sure. plenty loud, and some good built in effects

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/5/5/3/267553.jpg 1022.gif

I looked at Crates for a while. I was particularly interested in the V50. That is a tube amp with 2 EL34 tubes, and a number of built-in effects. I came realyl close to buying a used one for $400, but when I went back the next day, it was gone, and the new ones were $850. So I waited and researched, and the Mesa Boogie LoneStar fell into my lap for $999.00, down from $1,800.00 because it was a model (2006) that did not feature the Class A 10 watt option, like the new LoneStars did.

But the Crates were definitely interesting, though I would have preferred a tube amp over a solid state.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Feb 15 2008, 10:56 AM)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/5/5/3/267553.jpg 1022.gif

I looked at Crates for a while. I was particularly interested in the V50. That is a tube amp with 2 EL34 tubes, and a number of built-in effects. I came realyl close to buying a used one for $400, but when I went back the next day, it was gone, and the new ones were $850. So I waited and researched, and the Mesa Boogie LoneStar fell into my lap for $999.00, down from $1,800.00 because it was a model (2006) that did not feature the Class A 10 watt option, like the new LoneStars did.

But the Crates were definitely interesting, though I would have preferred a tube amp over a solid state.

I tried a Crate V50 once (I had gotten my guitar set up and that's what they plugged me into to try the guitar out) and I was surprised at how good it sounded. Had a decently meaty tone to it. I wasn't crazy about the onboard effects, though. A version without the effects might be cool.

I should finally have my head back in about a week and will take some pictures of my gear.

I got my 5150II on eBay and have been having continued problems with it so she is in for diagnostics and new tubes right now...

Hafta say I'm pretty illiterate with the whole head-cab situation as I've always been a combo amp guy in the past. One thing I did not know that I learned yesterday is that high end tube heads do NOT play nice with standard distortion effects units which was part of my problem. Also I never realized that my foot pedal was messed up and thereby causing problems flipping over to the distortion channel on the head which was obviously causing me major major sound grief problems.

Anyways she's on the mend and can't wait to get her back! I can't wait to play my gear has sounded like absolute ASS lately so I look forward to hearing this baby to her full potential.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 15 2008, 12:08 PM)

I tried a Crate V50 once (I had gotten my guitar set up and that's what they plugged me into to try the guitar out) and I was surprised at how good it sounded. Had a decently meaty tone to it. I wasn't crazy about the onboard effects, though. A version without the effects might be cool.

You and I aren't the only ones who liked it. Most people I've talked to, who have heard or played the V50, say it sounds really nice. You are right about the on-board effects. But what should we expect for the price?

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Feb 15 2008, 03:10 PM)

You and I aren't the only ones who liked it. Most people I've talked to, who have heard or played the V50, say it sounds really nice. You are right about the on-board effects. But what should we expect for the price?

Imagine how many they'd sell if the made a version without the effects and sold it for $50-$100 less? Or even kept it at the same price and beefed up the components a little? Hell, Billy Gibbons was using and endorsing those for a while, and he's a guy known for having one of the best tones in the business.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 15 2008, 03:17 PM)

Imagine how many they'd sell if the made a version without the effects and sold it for $50-$100 less? Or even kept it at the same price and beefed up the components a little? Hell, Billy Gibbons was using and endorsing those for a while, and he's a guy known for having one of the best tones in the business.

Yank out the effects and make it an all-tube amp. I believe the preamp section is solidstate, and it has two EL-34's in the power section. Even with that, it sounded pretty darn good. They have quite a few big name endorsers. The funny thing is, whenever I told musician friends of mine that I was considering getting a Crate, to a person they urged me not to. How did Crate build such a bad reputation? It seems the only people who liked them were people who had played through one, and heard it themselves.

I remember one day being in my local music store, where they were selling Crates, and trying out the V50 vs. a 120 watt solid state Crate, like the one in the picture above. The difference was night and day. The V50 had a very full sound, and a very nice, lush decay if I hit and held a power chord. On the solid state, I could here the decay move in increments, which I did not like.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Feb 16 2008, 07:44 AM)

Yank out the effects and make it an all-tube amp. I believe the preamp section is solidstate, and it has two EL-34's in the power section. Even with that, it sounded pretty darn good. They have quite a few big name endorsers. The funny thing is, whenever I told musician friends of mine that I was considering getting a Crate, to a person they urged me not to. How did Crate build such a bad reputation? It seems the only people who liked them were people who had played through one, and heard it themselves.

I remember one day being in my local music store, where they were selling Crates, and trying out the V50 vs. a 120 watt solid state Crate, like the one in the picture above. The difference was night and day. The V50 had a very full sound, and a very nice, lush decay if I hit and held a power chord. On the solid state, I could here the decay move in increments, which I did not like.

Nope, the V50 has four 12ax7 tubes in the preamp section, and two 6L6s in the power section. It's an all-tube amp with digital effects added on. And jeez, the 1x12 combo under $500, and the 2x12 is under $1000! New players looking to get their first tube amp but aren't ready to spend thousands on a Marshall or Mesa should look at these.

Crate doesn't have the rep as being "pro" equipment. I think they're trying to shake that with these new amps, but you just don't see many big-name bands with stacks of Crates behind them. Again, Billy Gibbons endorsed them, but I'm not sure if he toured with them. He may have.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 16 2008, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Feb 16 2008, 07:44 AM)

Nope, the V50 has four 12ax7 tubes in the preamp section, and two 6L6s in the power section. It's an all-tube amp with digital effects added on. And jeez, the 1x12 combo under $500, and the 2x12 is under $1000! New players looking to get their first tube amp but aren't ready to spend thousands on a Marshall or Mesa should look at these.

Crate doesn't have the rep as being "pro" equipment. I think they're trying to shake that with these new amps, but you just don't see many big-name bands with stacks of Crates behind them. Again, Billy Gibbons endorsed them, but I'm not sure if he toured with them. He may have.

Wow...you know what, I think they might have changed it from when I was looking at it before! In fact, I just found a Palamino V50 in EBAY that has EL-34 tubes, and it also has the preamp tubes as well, so I was wrong about the preamp section.

Good Lord, I just want to go home tonight and play!!! AlexFinal.gif

http://www.magmor.org/delirium/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/matamp_pedalboard2.jpg

Here is my amp, a Fender Bassman 70 and a custom Matamp cabinet smile.gif