Rugby World Cup

Milton Bridge

I can't believe its taken a Scotsman to start the World Cup thread.

How I laughed 4 weeks ago when you were thrashed by South Africa but do you know what I actually think you are going to end up winning the damn thing again.

If you do it will be the biggest turnaround in form that I can remember in sport.

Would love to see them win it again simply because they have shown a terrific team spirit to fight they're way back into contention when everybody was slating them.

I started to watch Rugby a few years ago and really became a fan of the sport just recently with this WC. What a amazing game it is !

France to beat the All Blacks in Cardiff a miracle and England to beat France in Paris, well it was unexpected...anyway the final promises another exciting match !

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Oct 16 2007, 12:48 PM)
Of course thay can do it, but they are going to have to play EVEN better, and score a try or two at least.

You know I don't have an issue with England winning the world cup other than they are so boring to watch.

Rugby should be about trying to score tries and not sucking the other team in and creating penalties for the blessed Johnny to covert.

Did you see the joke about condom sales falling in France - apparently 15 fenchies were f****d by one Johnny. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (HamiltonYYZ @ Oct 16 2007, 12:08 AM)
I started to watch Rugby a few years ago and really became a fan of the sport just recently with this WC. What a amazing game it is !

France to beat the All Blacks in Cardiff a miracle and England to beat France in Paris, well it was unexpected...anyway the final promises another exciting match !

Glad you are enjoying it.

Rugby played at a high level is a fantastic sport to watch, its also great fun to play although my rugby years are long behind me now.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Oct 16 2007, 08:52 PM)
Yes, I know they deserve to be there, bu PLEASE, PLEASE don't let England win this again.........

LMAO, I agree, The TV will be murder, it's all we'll hear about for the rest of the year

This WC has been abit of a dissapointment. Not nice to watch Wales go out in the pool stage, to Fiji, AND in an english bar. Not a good experience.

I don't like the style of play so far either. Wales played good, attacking rugby, which was a joy to watch. The England-France game, deciding who went to the final, was the most tedious game i've ever seen. Ever. If I wanted to watch a ball going back and forth continuously, i'd have tuned into some Tennis.

As for the final, I can't wait for it. I have a slight feeling that England are punching above their weight right now, maybe they've had some good fortune getting to the final. Englands pack could do pretty well against SA, but it's the backs England should worry about. I really cannot see them holding their own against SA, and when you compare them to South Africa's, well, let's just say this could possibly turn into an annihilation.

However, it has the potential to be a VERY exciting match

Might have been tedious for you but I was on the edge of my seat (Probably only because it didn't look like we were gonna do it!)! Though you're right, it isn't "proper rugby" is it.. But then you know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.. And for some reason it's worked for us. Be it good fortune or otherwise.. lol.

You're right. I can see up and coming annihilation in three hours time...

I'm a little shocked we got this far to be honest. At every point during this RWC I've said, "That's it. We're out." before every single game..

At least Jason Robinson now knows this is definitely his last game (we think!) lol.

QUOTE (nimagraven @ Oct 20 2007, 04:00 PM)
Might have been tedious for you but I was on the edge of my seat (Probably only because it didn't look like we were gonna do it!)! Though you're right, it isn't "proper rugby" is it.. But then you know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.. And for some reason it's worked for us. Be it good fortune or otherwise.. lol.

You're right. I can see up and coming annihilation in three hours time...

I'm a little shocked we got this far to be honest. At every point during this RWC I've said, "That's it. We're out." before every single game..

At least Jason Robinson now knows this is definitely his last game (we think!) lol.

Well, from a neutrals point of view, England-style rugby is tedious! Which is why i didn't really enjoy tonights game. Although it was interesting to see South Africa play England at their own game.

However, I was expecting more from them. Habana did sweet fa, which suprised me.

Anyway, congrats to SA, probably deserved it from their form in the tournament, however, on the night, England played very well. Might even have deserved it more.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 20 2007, 07:01 PM)
Well, from a neutrals point of view, England-style rugby is tedious! Which is why i didn't really enjoy tonights game. Although it was interesting to see South Africa play England at their own game.

However, I was expecting more from them. Habana did sweet fa, which suprised me.

Anyway, congrats to SA, probably deserved it from their form in the tournament, however, on the night, England played very well. Might even have deserved it more.

Indeed! We did put a lot of guts into it, but just wasn't good enough at the end.. Still convinced that was a try, but oh well, that's the way the wind blows... And Lewis Hamilton didn't do much better today!!

no.gif

Bad w/e for English sport! wtf.gif

QUOTE (nimagraven @ Oct 21 2007, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 20 2007, 07:01 PM)

Indeed! We did put a lot of guts into it, but just wasn't good enough at the end.. Still convinced that was a try, but oh well, that's the way the wind blows... And Lewis Hamilton didn't do much better today!!

no.gif

Bad w/e for English sport! wtf.gif

I think seeing Lewis losing the title the way he did was more disappointment because he had a better scenario, I was rooting for him.

But he's only 22 and hopefully he'll learn from this mistakes.

Congrats to South Africa ! To my eyes the best team on every round of the cup trink39.gif

I was gutted for England, but they left the World Cup with their dignity intact, which did not look possible a few short weeks back.

Admittedly, the rugby they play has Webb-Ellis spinning in his grave, but you have to admire the guts and determination the players have shown.

As for Ireland's World Cup? The less said the better.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 22 2007, 09:38 AM)
I was gutted for England, but they left the World Cup with their dignity intact, which did not look possible a few short weeks back.
Admittedly, the rugby they play has Webb-Ellis spinning in his grave, but you have to admire the guts and determination the players have shown.

Hatchet, you were forced out by France and Argentina.

I'd rather that than being kicked out by Fiji...

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 22 2007, 10:43 AM)

No, it's the players we had at our disposal and the way they played. I've never seen such a sorry mess.

At least your coach did the honourable thing, our clown is still there.

Wales V Fiji was the best "rugby" match of the tournament.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 22 2007, 12:27 PM)

No, it's the players we had at our disposal and the way they played. I've never seen such a sorry mess.

rofl3.gif its always fun watching the welsh get beat at rugby rofl3.gif

for the record, SA were never going to let England beat them. Even with the try that should have been, England would still have lost. SA were rock solid in defence. It was like hitting a brick wall.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Oct 22 2007, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 22 2007, 12:27 PM)

rofl3.gif its always fun watching the welsh get beat at rugby rofl3.gif

for the record, SA were never going to let England beat them. Even with the try that should have been, England would still have lost. SA were rock solid in defence. It was like hitting a brick wall.

tongue.gif

It's even more fun winning the grand slam more times than England in the past 4 years laugh.gif

And, in keeping with the same theme as hatchet, always better to lose a free-flowing match than a final like that.

And even better, at least we didn't get a nil score this tournament, whereas, I believe England did.

And Wales scored more points in less games. So tongue.gif

Back to seriousness, i think England had a fairly good crack at winning that. They certainly played better than South Africa, but maybe it was a case of South Africa took their chances better.

And yes hatchet, with the players at Irelands disposal, a semi-final place wasn't too much to expect.

Archived