Favorite chick flicks

workingcinderellaman

Since no one likes James Bond movies, what are your favorite movies that women tend to enjoy?

Steel Magnolias

Terms of Endearment

Fried Green Tomatoes

Sleepless in Seattle

others?

(Sorry ghost girl but I couldn't think of anything else to call them. Ironic that the term came from a 'chick flick' (Sleepless in Seattle))

Here are some Ive enjoyed for one reason or another - poked around the web to remind me of some of them...

Notting Hill

Four Weddings and a Funeral

Terms of Endearment

As Good as it Gets

The Family Stone

Tootsie

Bridget Jones' Diary

Working Girl

The Big Chill

9 to 5

Footloose

Moonstruck

Ghost

Father of the Bride (w/Steve Martin)

Four Weddings and a Funeral

Forget Paris

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Sep 25 2007, 04:26 PM)
Since no one likes James Bond movies, what are your favorite movies that women tend to enjoy?

Steel Magnolias

Terms of Endearment

Fried Green Tomatoes

Sleepless in Seattle

others?

(Sorry ghost girl but I couldn't think of anything else to call them. Ironic that the term came from a 'chick flick' (Sleepless in Seattle))

I really like Fried Green Tomatoes and LOVED Terms of Endearment.

Steel Magnolias I really didn't care for much at all, and similarly to The Horse Whisperer and Bridges of Madison County, they did almost nothing for me. Sleepless in Seattle while cute, is a good bit overrated.

A movie like Out Of Africa though I thought was great. The Accidental Tourist is one of my favorite movies ever, and that could easily be considered chick flicky.

Basically I like any movie I consider good, whether it's generally known as a "chick flick" or not. I'm crazy about movies based on Jane Austen books, but that's because I just love the stories, as well as period movies. When Harry Met Sally is one of my all time favorite movies, and that's often consdiered a chick flick. It's also damn funny and sweet and romantic too. (insert daveyt 062802puke_prv.gif here wink.gif tongue.gif ).

Then again, some of my all time favorite movies are super weird dark films that most women tend not to like - Lost Highway, Crash (not the one about racism), Naked Lunch, Brazil, The City of Lost Children, etc. One of my all time top five movies is Goodfellas, and that one is one of the most obvious "guy films".

"When Harry Met Sally" is one of my all-time favorite films.

"Sleepless in Seattle" was alright, but not nearly as good.

"Ghost" is another big favorite; the first few times I saw it, I cried at the end. Then again, I also teared-up at the end of "Home Alone" - that bit with the old neighbor. And "Awakenings" still brings tears in parts.

(Insert a cat.gif comment from Davey.)

Fare like "Beaches," "Steel Magnolias," and "Dirty Dancing" I don't like at all.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 26 2007, 07:10 AM)
"When Harry Met Sally" is one of my all-time favorite films.

"Sleepless in Seattle" was alright, but not nearly as good.

"Ghost" is another big favorite; the first few times I saw it, I cried at the end. Then again, I also teared-up at the end of "Home Alone" - that bit with the old neighbor. And "Awakenings" still brings tears in parts.

(Insert a cat.gif comment from Davey.)

Fare like "Beaches," "Steel Magnolias," and "Dirty Dancing" I don't like at all.

Agreed that Ghost is a classic. It's chick-flicky, but it's also a good supernatural thriller too. Whoopie rules.

I agree with you on Steel Magnolias and Dirty Dancing, but I actually liked Beaches. I know that's like MAJOR chick flick, but what can I do? ph34r.gif

I hate movies that have the sole purpose of trying to make you cry. To me its like a cheap horror movie. After a while you can see it coming. I saw 'Terms of Endearment' on a date and I didn't cry because I saw it coming. My date was crying and I looked like a heartless SOB. Needless to say I didn't get to make out with her that night.

I should have brought some fake tears or something to use at the end of the movie.

I saw a movie on cable recently that might be considered a "female-oriented film" (as opposed to "chick flick" wink.gif ), and that was "An Unfinished Life" with Robert Redford, Jennifer Lopez and Morgan Freeman. The Lopez character was married to Redford's son, but they were in a car crash after she fell asleep at the wheel, hubby died, and Redford's character never forgave her for taking his only child away. Years pass and Lopez and her daughter (Redford's granddaughter, whom he's never met) are escaping an abusive boyfriend and they have nowhere to go, so they seek out Redford on his farm. Lots of soul searching, bonding, and healing old wounds and grudges ensue. Freeman also has issues with a bear that mauled and crippled him. And it gets interesting when the abusive boyfriend shows up. I'm not normally drawn to this type of film but this was very well done.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Sep 26 2007, 11:20 AM)
I hate movies that have the sole purpose of trying to make you cry.

Me too, actually. I thought the Michael Keaton movie "My Life" was like that... it was totally designed to make you cry, and tried and tried to do so. Knowing I was being manipulated, I held out. It finally got me in the end, though.

I saw 'Terms of Endearment' on a date and I didn't cry because I saw it coming.

"Terms of Endearment" may or may not be a chick flick, but I kinda like it anyway. This and just about anything else written by James L. Brooks possesses some great dialogue. "Broadcast News" had so many great lines! "Spanglish," starring Adam Sandler, on the other hand, fell flat. Yawners! And his "I'll Do Anything" - which was conceived as a musical and then altered, to its detriment - was a bomb that still had some funny dialogue, courtesy of Julie Kavner.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 26 2007, 04:44 PM)

Me too, actually. I thought the Michael Keaton movie "My Life" was like that... it was totally designed to make you cry, and tried and tried to do so. Knowing I was being manipulated, I held out. It finally got me in the end, though.

My wife got me to watch that movie, and you might as well have thrown salt in my eyes. F-cking unreal... smile.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 26 2007, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 26 2007, 04:44 PM)

My wife got me to watch that movie, and you might as well have thrown salt in my eyes. F-cking unreal... smile.gif

That was may be the 2nd or 3rd movie I ever went with T to. Believe it or not, I didn't understand the concept of crying over a story back then....

Anyways, I enjoyed all these with my wife:

The Notebook

Shadowlands

Love Affair

Devil Wears Prada

Titanic

The Cider House Rules

Snow Falling on Cedars

Memoirs of a Geisha

Message in a Bottle

13 Going on 30

Love the TV series "Felicity"

If "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," "Snow Falling on Cedars," and "Cider House Rules" (a book about abortion) are all chick fliks, then add those to my list.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Sep 27 2007, 12:06 AM)
Spaceballs
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Airplane!
Hot Shots

goodpost.gif Not all chick flick need to make you want a box a tissues!

Thanks DT smile.gif