question about Alien Shore

ghost of a chance

QUOTE (ghost of a chance @ Sep 16 2007, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Sep 16 2007, 04:05 PM)
The album you're thinking of is Counterparts.

Yeah, I know that wink.gif

Okay, good! biggrin.gif I was thinking "What kind of Rush fan are you if you don't know what album these songs are from?"

Anyway, I can't really make out what is said at the beginning of Alien Shore. Maybe it's supposed to be an alien? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Sep 16 2007, 04:16 PM)
Okay, good! biggrin.gif I was thinking "What kind of Rush fan are you if you don't know what album these songs are from?"

biggrin.gif I think I know well every Rush song and album wink.gif ...now I'm 31 years old and they are my favorite band since 1992

The sound I'm hearing at the beginning is something like "alabarole"

Yeah, it has no sense wink.gif

QUOTE (ghost of a chance @ Sep 16 2007, 05:35 AM)
Sorry for the strange question but I wonder something...in the beginning of Alien Shore there is a voice who speaks something, but I can't understand what is this? And also who speaks that? Neil? I think Neil speaks at the beginning of Animate (1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2...) and it is in the same album...

I wondered that too. I don't think it is the same voice as Animate, but who knows? All I do know is that Alien Shore is a great song and probably my favorite on Counterparts. That and Between Sun And Moon.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Sep 17 2007, 08:43 AM)
QUOTE (jazzbass @ Sep 16 2007, 02:18 PM)
The voice is saying "Men about oars"

That is correct ("men about oars").

As for the "alien chatter" later in the song, I've always wondered what that's all about but have never found a conclusive answer.

OK...and now the $50,000 question. What does "men about oars" mean? Is that a crew thing?

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 17 2007, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Sep 17 2007, 08:43 AM)
QUOTE (jazzbass @ Sep 16 2007, 02:18 PM)
The voice is saying "Men about oars"

That is correct ("men about oars").

As for the "alien chatter" later in the song, I've always wondered what that's all about but have never found a conclusive answer.

OK...and now the $50,000 question. What does "men about oars" mean? Is that a crew thing?

Hmmm well "men about oars" sounds like the sort of command they might have used back in the days of the slave ships where dudes actually had to row the big assed boat.

Men about oars!

Get rowing beotches!

Between the weird alien voice, the name of the song, and those suggested lyrics it could be the alien captain telling the other dudes to row? Could be one of Neil's clever little play on words - alien and ship?

confused13.gif

If there is a better guess I'd love to hear it.

Okay I'm at work so I can't really play the song loud enough to try and make out the voice but... it doesn't seem like that's what the voice is saying.

Here's a weird little snippet I found about the "men about Oars" Rush reference.

source: http://www.musicintheabstract.org/

OdD Rush Studio Pre-releases / Alternate releases -

*** "Out Of My Nose . . . Eine-Zwei-Drei-Vier" ("Men About Oars") - from the original Counterparts studio demos, the "Men About Oars" was originally part of Alex's "counted intro" to Between Sun And Moon (intro spoken in German). Some have claimed it is Alex, joking around, saying "out of my nose" through his nose :^)

In the seven years since this thread first began, has anyone here ever found out what is being said at the beginning of Alien Shore and who it is that says it?

Alex saying "out of my nose"

Do you have any source to back this up? Someone else told me that too, but it doesn't sound like Alex. Whoever is doing this sounds like they can sing. Alex can't.

In the seven years since this thread first began, has anyone here ever found out what is being said at the beginning of Alien Shore and who it is that says it?

Do you have any source to back this up? Someone else told me that too, but it doesn't sound like Alex. Whoever is doing this sounds like they can sing. Alex can't.

Alex had appeared on the album Alien Shores by Platinum Blonde eight years before. The voice in the beginning is Alex holding his nostrils closed, saying “out of my nose.”—Robert Telleria, Merely Players

http://rushvault.com...ore-background/

Edited by savagegrace26

Alex had appeared on the album Alien Shores by Platinum Blonde eight years before. The voice in the beginning is Alex holding his nostrils closed, saying “out of my nose.”—Robert Telleria, Merely Players

http://rushvault.com...ore-background/

Thank you, Savage. I see there is also a link there to the background of The Speed of Love. I'm going to check it out. :) Never know what interesting facts about the song it may have.