Pittsburgh Steelers win 13th straight

Indica

QUOTE (Draconator @ Dec 29 2004, 06:02 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 28 2004, 12:20 PM)
I think Buffalo will win and Denver could lose to Indy and Buffalo will get a wild card. Indy might be resting some of their starters also since they have the playoffs wrapped up, they beat San diego head to head so it doesn't matter if Indy loses in Denver because Indy has home field in the first round of the playoffs even if they lose and ends up with the same record as San diego. This game is meaningless for Indy also so that's not good news for Buffalo fans because if Denver beats Indy, Buffalo won't get in the playoffs even if they beat Pittsburghs 2nd string team this week.

I seriously doubt that the Jets would win in St. Louis. St. Louis is fighting for a playoff spot, like the Jets will be.

Buffalo will beat Pittsburgh. Buffalo is playing the best football out of anyone in the NFL, including Pittsburgh. Witness Pittsburgh's close call with the Giants, and Buffalo's absolute dismantiling of Cincinnati and San Francisco. That is how good teams are supposed to win against bad teams! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I didn't mention the jets and if they would win in St. Louis or not. Even if the jets lose they still have a shot at a wild card, Depending on who else wins. St Louis should win at home I agree. Buffalo is playing good football no doubt. All the great teams have close games against crappy teams, if you look at history it will show that. You can't judge it by just beating teams by a close score. If Buffalo comes to Pittsburgh I have little doubt that the steelers wouldn't smear them all over the field, the steelers aren't San fran and the Bengals. Buffalo is a good team but they are nothing compared to the steelers at home. 8-0 in Pitt, the last time they did that was in 1979 and they won the super bowl that year, hopefully that's what happens again. Buffalo is good but come playoff time (if they make it) they will lose their first road game against a playoff team.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 29 2004, 12:37 PM)
Buffalo is a good team but they are nothing compared to the steelers at home. 8-0 in Pitt, the last time they did that was in 1979 and they won the super bowl that year, hopefully that's what happens again. Buffalo is good but come playoff time (if they make it) they will lose their first road game against a playoff team.

Pittsburgh is historically, 8-5 in playoff games in Pittsburgh, with loosing the last 3 AFC Championship Games in Pittsburgh. The last QB to beat Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, was Drew Bledsoe!

Peyton Manning puts it best. The Colts are playing their starters. They want to go into the playoffs with a win. Now I know injuries play a part in the thinking of this, and Pittsburgh will be giving their studs 3 weeks off to get ready.

What the Bills have going for them is that all aspects of their game is clicking. Offense, Defense, and Special Teams. There isn't another team in the AFC in Playoff contention who can say this. The Defense is a threat to take the ball away at any time. The offense is one Willis McGahee, or Bledsoe to Lee Evans pass to score, and you get the feeling that Nate Clements and Terrence McGee can break a return for a T.D. every time they touch the ball. The Bills are flat out playing the best football in the NFL right now, and whoever meets them in the playoffs best be ready!

QUOTE (Draconator @ Dec 30 2004, 09:05 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 29 2004, 12:37 PM)
Buffalo is a good team but they are nothing compared to the steelers at home. 8-0 in Pitt, the last time they did that was in 1979 and they won the super bowl that year, hopefully that's what happens again. Buffalo is good but come playoff time (if they make it) they will lose their first road game against a playoff team.

Pittsburgh is historically, 8-5 in playoff games in Pittsburgh, with loosing the last 3 AFC Championship Games in Pittsburgh. The last QB to beat Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, was Drew Bledsoe!

Sorry but that's incorrect. They havent lost the last three championship games in Pittsburgh. The pats beat them in 2001 to go and win the super bowl. And in 1997 Denver beat them in Pittsburgh. BUT, in 1995 Pittsburgh beat Indianapolis 20-16. So that's not an accurate statement. They lost 2 out of the last 3 championship games in Pittsburgh and the 2 teams that beat them went on to win the superbowl. I'm happy about the fact that 3 out of the last 9 Championship games in the AFC has been in Pittsburgh, if they win the first round this year then it will be 4 out of last 10 Championship games in the AFC will be in Pitt. They are doing something right that's for sure. Most fans around the league would kill to have their team have 10 good years like that, now all they need to do is top it off with a superbowl win for Bettis and Cowher, they deserve it if anyone does.

I agree that Buffalo is playing well, but they should GET into the playoffs first, THEN start talking playoffs. BABY STEPS BABY STEPS!!!!!

They have to beat the best team in Football AND also hope for other teams to lose.

Cowher article = Media Hype.

Baby steps? Buffalo has been in Playoff mode for the past 6 weeks, knowing that they had to win out just to have a shot to make the playoffs. Buffalo is the hot team now, and the most important factor, is that this game is in Buffalo. For this game, all factors add up for a Buffalo victory. As for making the playoffs, Jets have too many injuries on defense, and Chad Pennington is injured (although they're not saying he is, but his throws have no "zip" on them at all).

Buffalo will be in the Playoffs, and have the ability to surprise a team or two to go deep into the playoffs.

QUOTE (Draconator @ Dec 31 2004, 02:23 AM)
Cowher article = Media Hype. 

Baby steps?  Buffalo has been in Playoff mode for the past 6 weeks, knowing that they had to win out just to have a shot to make the playoffs.  Buffalo is the hot team now, and the most important factor, is that this game is in Buffalo.  For this game, all factors add up for a Buffalo victory.  As for making the playoffs, Jets have too many injuries on defense, and Chad Pennington is injured (although they're not saying he is, but his throws have no "zip" on them at all). 

Buffalo will be in the Playoffs, and have the ability to surprise a team or two to go deep into the playoffs.

I'm very much aware of what Buffalo has been doing in the past few weeks. If they even make it to the playoffs they will have to play San Diego or Indy in the first round, if they luck out there, I don't see them winning against NE or Pitt. It's a cool little cinderella story though, they have the 24th ranked offense in football, I don't think that will cut the mustard against the #1 ranked defense in Pitt, but it's good to have hope I guess.

Now since Cowher is claiming to play this game to win and if Pitt loses then it will give Buffalo more hope to enter the first round. Theres just too much talent in the AFC this season. I guess stranger things has happened in the NFL so you never know, I wouldn't get too worked up about it yet though. Baby steps, you have to actually MAKE the playoffs before you can win them.

LOL!

I think Denver has to lose at home also before Buffalo goes to the playoffs, Indy has the home field first round playoffs wrapped up, they are in the same situation as Pitt this week, going on the road in a game that doesn't matter and playing a team that has to win to make the playoffs.

For the Bills to make it, they have to win and for either the Jets or the Bronco's to loose. They hold the tiebreaker against the Jets.

I'm just very proud for what this team has done this year. I was writing them off in week 8. Here we are on the eve of the final game of the regular season, and there's a strong possibility of the playoffs. That makes me very proud! (And, supremely confident!) new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Buffalo has beaten in the last 6 weeks......

San Fran 2-13 WOW

Cincinnati 7-8 mediocre

Cleveland 3-13 WHOOOHOOOO

Miami 4-11 YEAH BUDDY!!!!!

Seatle 8-7 Hey a team with a winning record!!!!!

St. Louis 7-8 Mediocre

Sure they are hot, they might even win this week, but nothing to get too excited about. When they play real teams with winning records in the playoffs, I say they won't be looking so good, I mean Cincinnati, Miami, Cleveland, San Fran.....Think about it. laugh.gif

Their super bowl game will be this week when they play Pitt.

QUOTE (Draconator @ Dec 31 2004, 12:50 PM)
For the Bills to make it, they have to win and for either the Jets or the Bronco's to loose. They hold the tiebreaker against the Jets.

I'm just very proud for what this team has done this year. I was writing them off in week 8. Here we are on the eve of the final game of the regular season, and there's a strong possibility of the playoffs. That makes me very proud! (And, supremely confident!) new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

How do they have the tie breaking against the jets? I'm just wondering because they changed them when they changed the divisions around. The Jets and Bills both won against each other one time, they both are 3-3 in the division, and either one of them play a division game this week, The jets have a better record against the AFC. I guess the third tie breaker is, Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games. I guess Buffalo has more wins in common games? I'm not that interested to go check out all the common games. But if they hold the tie breaker I'm guessing that Buffalo has the better percentage in common games. confused13.gif

I understand that if Buffalo is your team that you would be proud, I don't mean to sound like I'm putting down your team, that wouldn't be cool of me, people are doing that to me all season and my team only lost one game and beat the 2nd and 3rd best teams in football, go figure.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 31 2004, 09:52 AM)

San Fran 2-13  WOW
Cincinnati  7-8  mediocre
Cleveland 3-13  WHOOOHOOOO
Miami 4-11    YEAH BUDDY!!!!!
Seatle 8-7  Hey a team with a winning record!!!!!
St. Louis 7-8  Mediocre

Sure they are hot, they might even win this week, but nothing to get too excited about. When they play real teams with winning records in the playoffs, I say they won't be looking so good, I mean Cincinnati, Miami, Cleveland, San Fran.....Think about it.  laugh.gif

What you didn't post, is the score of these games:

St. Louis - 37-17

Seattle - 38-9

Miami - 42-32

Cleveland - 37-7

Cincinnati - 33-17

San Francisco - 41-7

Look at the Bills losses. Yes, they were losses, but they have been every game this year except for 2 games.

Loss to the Jags 13-10 on the Final play of the game.

Loss to the Raiders 13-10, stopped with a sub-par Travis Henry on a 4th and goal.

Loss to the Pats 31-17, Very much in the game, until a late 4th quarter sack, and fumble return for touchdown.

Loss to the Jets 16-14, in New Jersey, on a late 4th quarter field goal.

What I'm getting to here is this. These 4 losses came early in the season, with a rookie head coach, and new offensive systems in place. It takes more than just one training camp to get everything down and clicking. The first few losses were all due to self-made mistakes.

Look at the margin of victory in those wins. This is how you are supposed to beat teams with loosing records.

Now, look at Pittsburgh, and the score of their games against common opponets, in common situations.

Miami (Away) 13-3 (Buffalo won in Miami 42-32)

Cleveland (Home), 34-23 (Buffalo won 37-7, allowing the Browns 24 yards in total offense).

Cincinnati (Away), 19-14 (Buffalo won 37-17, scoring on Offense, Defense, and special teams).

New York Jets (Home), 17-6 (Buffalo won 22-17)

And, I'll continue to point out, two weeks ago, that a really bad New Jersey Giants team nearly beat the Steelers 33-30. Not exactly a Buffalo Bills type result against a team with a loosing record. And don't forget that the Steelers defense isn't that much ahead of the #3 ranked Defense in the NFL, Buffalo. (Pittsburgh allowing 257 yards/game to Buffalo's 264 yards/game)

Buffalo is winning in much more of a impressive fashion than the Steelers are lately, both at home and on the road. You can say what you will, but as I see it, there is no way that Pittsburgh can beat Buffalo. Buffalo has the offense, defense, and special teams to win. Pittsburgh has the defense, but not as strong of an offense, and no where near the special teams the Bills have.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 31 2004, 10:02 AM)
I don't mean to sound like I'm putting down your team, that wouldn't be cool of me, people are doing that to me all season and my team only lost one game and beat the 2nd and 3rd best teams in football, go figure.

It all boils down to this. We're frakin' sports fans!!! We strongly support our respective teams!!! No offense taken at all!

QUOTE (Draconator @ Dec 31 2004, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 31 2004, 09:52 AM)

San Fran 2-13  WOW
Cincinnati  7-8  mediocre
Cleveland 3-13  WHOOOHOOOO
Miami 4-11    YEAH BUDDY!!!!!
Seatle 8-7  Hey a team with a winning record!!!!!
St. Louis 7-8  Mediocre

Sure they are hot, they might even win this week, but nothing to get too excited about. When they play real teams with winning records in the playoffs, I say they won't be looking so good, I mean Cincinnati, Miami, Cleveland, San Fran.....Think about it.  laugh.gif

What you didn't post, is the score of these games:

St. Louis - 37-17

Seattle - 38-9

Miami - 42-32

Cleveland - 37-7

Cincinnati - 33-17

San Francisco - 41-7

Look at the Bills losses. Yes, they were losses, but they have been every game this year except for 2 games.

Loss to the Jags 13-10 on the Final play of the game.

Loss to the Raiders 13-10, stopped with a sub-par Travis Henry on a 4th and goal.

Loss to the Pats 31-17, Very much in the game, until a late 4th quarter sack, and fumble return for touchdown.

Loss to the Jets 16-14, in New Jersey, on a late 4th quarter field goal.

What I'm getting to here is this. These 4 losses came early in the season, with a rookie head coach, and new offensive systems in place. It takes more than just one training camp to get everything down and clicking. The first few losses were all due to self-made mistakes.

Look at the margin of victory in those wins. This is how you are supposed to beat teams with loosing records.

Now, look at Pittsburgh, and the score of their games against common opponets, in common situations.

Miami (Away) 13-3 (Buffalo won in Miami 42-32)

Cleveland (Home), 34-23 (Buffalo won 37-7, allowing the Browns 24 yards in total offense).

Cincinnati (Away), 19-14 (Buffalo won 37-17, scoring on Offense, Defense, and special teams).

New York Jets (Home), 17-6 (Buffalo won 22-17)

And, I'll continue to point out, two weeks ago, that a really bad New Jersey Giants team nearly beat the Steelers 33-30. Not exactly a Buffalo Bills type result against a team with a loosing record. And don't forget that the Steelers defense isn't that much ahead of the #3 ranked Defense in the NFL, Buffalo. (Pittsburgh allowing 257 yards/game to Buffalo's 264 yards/game)

Buffalo is winning in much more of a impressive fashion than the Steelers are lately, both at home and on the road. You can say what you will, but as I see it, there is no way that Pittsburgh can beat Buffalo. Buffalo has the offense, defense, and special teams to win. Pittsburgh has the defense, but not as strong of an offense, and no where near the special teams the Bills have.

The steelers went on the road and played a bad game in New York against the giants. They still won. The philosophy that the steelers live and die by is the Running game and a #1 defense. They hog the ball and Time of Possesion, run out the clock and win ball games. So what if they don't blow out every team they play, the main thing is winning games. Sure they won by 3 points in NY, but they won, they also beat Philly and NE, something Buffalo probably couldn't do. Buffalo also has a good defense, that's how they stay in games. But you have to win those games. I only pointed out the last 6 games because they won those last 6 games. When they play better teams they will lose. Sure they are better than Cincinnati, Cleveland, Miami and San fran, but who isn't? In the playoffs there wont be any teams like that, it's cool to win 6 in a row but when only 1 of those teams are over 500% then it doesn't show how they will play against top teams. The proof is in the pudding. Time will tell if they are as good as they appear against weak teams. You never know, they might just be for real.

Well, what can I say. Pittsburgh, with 2nd and 3rd stringers, beat Buffalo's 1st team. That is coaching. Cowher has a really smug grin, that I would love to know off his face smile.gif , but the fact is that he was a superior coach today.

Pittsburgh is deep! They took advantages of missed Buffalo opportunities. (Lindel's missed field goal.) They took the momentum away from Buffalo, and took complete control.

Good luck to Pittsburgh in the playoffs!

QUOTE (Draconator @ Jan 2 2005, 05:55 PM)
Well, what can I say. Pittsburgh, with 2nd and 3rd stringers, beat Buffalo's 1st team. That is coaching. Cowher has a really smug grin, that I would love to know off his face smile.gif , but the fact is that he was a superior coach today.

Pittsburgh is deep! They took advantages of missed Buffalo opportunities. (Lindel's missed field goal.) They took the momentum away from Buffalo, and took complete control.

Good luck to Pittsburgh in the playoffs!

Thanks Draconator, that's pretty classy of you to give the Steelers the props they deserve. I wasn't even going to mention the steelers playing with their backups, but you did so......... I figured everyone that watches football already knew that anyway, no sense in me rubbing it in peoples faces, it's bad enough when a true fans team loses and misses out on the playoffs.

You can say what you will, but as I see it, there is no way that Pittsburgh can beat Buffalo. Buffalo has the offense, defense, and special teams to win. Pittsburgh has the defense, but not as strong of an offense, and no where near the special teams the Bills have.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Jan 2 2005, 07:37 PM)
You can say what you will, but as I see it, there is no way that Pittsburgh can beat Buffalo.  Buffalo has the offense, defense, and special teams to win.  Pittsburgh has the defense, but not as strong of an offense, and no where near the special teams the Bills have.

confused13.gif

[Mayor from South Park] We're sorry. Our bad.[/Mayor from South Park]

doh.gif

QUOTE (Draconator @ Jan 3 2005, 12:10 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Jan 2 2005, 07:37 PM)
You can say what you will, but as I see it, there is no way that Pittsburgh can beat Buffalo.  Buffalo has the offense, defense, and special teams to win.  Pittsburgh has the defense, but not as strong of an offense, and no where near the special teams the Bills have.

confused13.gif

[Mayor from South Park] We're sorry. Our bad.[/Mayor from South Park]

doh.gif

I do agree with you about the special teams th0ugh.

Archived