Does Rush do drugs?

F22guy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe that at least Neil did then (according to Traveling Music he did quite a few things in Canada and in London), but I don't know if they do now. I have a sneaking suspicion that they may still cool10.gif (at least I think Al might still do that) but I couldn't tell you yes or no. Geddy quit smoking butts in the 80's to preserve his voice, so...?

Read Travelling Music, in it, Neil makes a few references about his experimentation with various pharmiceuticals.

Well, on the presto tour, i know for a fact that geddy was smokin pot like none other, lol. As for as I know, Geddy dropped that. Neil I dont know anything about, and Alex I know nothing about. Right on man. smile.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (gotbass1228 @ Aug 26 2007, 12:34 PM)
Well, on the presto tour, i know for a fact that geddy was smokin pot like none other, lol. As for as I know, Geddy dropped that. Neil I dont know anything about, and Alex I know nothing about. Right on man. smile.gif 2.gif

How do you come by this information?

QUOTE (Kid_Gloves @ Aug 26 2007, 01:49 PM)
Well, on the presto tour, i know for a fact that geddy was smokin pot like none other, lol. As for as I know, Geddy dropped that. Neil I dont know anything about, and Alex I know nothing about. Right on man.  smile.gif  2.gif

I'd like to know this as well....

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Aug 26 2007, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (Kid_Gloves @ Aug 26 2007, 01:49 PM)
Well, on the presto tour, i know for a fact that geddy was smokin pot like none other, lol. As for as I know, Geddy dropped that. Neil I dont know anything about, and Alex I know nothing about. Right on man.  smile.gif  2.gif

I'd like to know this as well....

I'll third that motion.

QUOTE (Kid_Gloves @ Aug 26 2007, 12:49 PM)

My dads best friend Mike was one of Geddy's rodies. HOW COOL!! smile.gif . He is also a friend of Geddy Lee, im meeting RUSH tonight, =) 653.gif 2.gif

I don't know. They probably all smoke pot every now and then, although I'm sure Geddy doesn't do it often to preserve his voice.

I heard at one point, in their early career Neil did harder drugs, which is why when he dropped them (around AFTK-Hemispheres) he got so muscley.

QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Aug 26 2007, 12:24 PM)
I heard at one point, in their early career Neil did harder drugs, which is why when he dropped them (around AFTK-Hemispheres) he got so muscley.

oh yeah he looked really good during PeW wacko.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Aug 26 2007, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Aug 26 2007, 12:24 PM)

oh yeah he looked really good during PeW wacko.gif

trink39.gif

Then he got all skinny again during Moving Pictures.

Or maybe his drum-kit just got bigger. trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 26 2007, 02:53 PM)
Did it ever have any influence on the band? Did the boys abuse? Did drugs ever become an issue, caused missed concerts, or tension between members?

No, No, and No so who cares?

Some people are interested in knowing personal little tidbits about the band members.

Theres nothing wrong with being curious.

QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Aug 26 2007, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 26 2007, 02:53 PM)
Did it ever have any influence on the band? Did the boys abuse? Did drugs ever become an issue, caused missed concerts, or tension between members?

No, No, and No    so who cares?

Some people are interested in knowing personal little tidbits about the band members.

No I didn't mean any offence. I agree, it is intresting to know.

Scratch the Who cares part of my reply.

I don't know why, but Alex strikes me as the kind of guy who would try anything once........

When I first heard them, I thought they did major drugs.

But then I noticed that their music was too complicated for that, they would have had a really bad wtf.gif kind of an album to be on serious drugs.

My guess is that they did and or do cool10.gif . They seem like the people to do that (which isn't too much of a bad thing).

Look at Frank Zappa, he didn't do drugs and he named one of his kids Moon Unit.

rofl3.gif

But i' don' mattah anyhaw. 2.gif 1022.gif 's with or without cool10.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Aug 26 2007, 03:24 PM)

Neil tried LSD exactly ONCE. It's in either Traveling Music or Roadshow (i think TM). He said he knew someone who did heroin and is glad he did because that kept him from ever wanting to even try it, seeing what happened to that person. (go Neil!!!) i know he has also said in the past that he could never do harder drugs because he hates the idea of being that out of control of himself and this is why, even though the LSD trip was fairly pleasnant, he only did it that one time.

He started doing more physical activities like skiing, bicycling, swimming and cycling in the 80s which I would assume is how he got more muscular.

true, but as I'm sure you know, Rush has never really been cool with that and might not entirely agree with your second sentence. If you think we don't know much about them compared to other famous people, they want it that way. what we do know is a LOT considering how they feel about fame and how closed mouthed they used to be until relatively recently.

Neil wrote this around '81 or so.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/rushnroll/letternp.jpg

and in spite of having written his books, he still feels the same way it's just "a difference of degree."

ok sorry rantoff.gif

personallyI doubt they really do pot or hash much any more, if at all. I would agree that Ged would want to save his voice.

edited just to add that the letter is from Sounds Magazine Fan Library Rush issue, for those who were wondering

sure they did pot and hash, and experimented- its clear they never really abused drugs, and so far they are the best band i know to look up to- there has never been any really serious incident* wink.gif wink.gif * that involved the members, and they are certainly better role models than musicians nowdays.

QUOTE (rnrgal @ Aug 26 2007, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Aug 26 2007, 03:24 PM)

Neil tried LSD exactly ONCE. It's in either Traveling Music or Roadshow (i think TM). He said he knew someone who did heroin and is glad he did because that kept him from ever wanting to even try it, seeing what happened to that person. (go Neil!!!) i know he has also said in the past that he could never do harder drugs because he hates the idea of being that out of control of himself and this is why, even though the LSD trip was fairly pleasnant, he only did it that one time.

He started doing more physical activities like skiing, bicycling, swimming and cycling in the 80s which I would assume is how he got more muscular.

true, but as I'm sure you know, Rush has never really been cool with that and might not entirely agree with your second sentence. If you think we don't know much about them compared to other famous people, they want it that way. what we do know is a LOT considering how they feel about fame and how closed mouthed they used to be until relatively recently.

Neil wrote this around '81 or so.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/rushnroll/letternp.jpg

and in spite of having written his books, he still feels the same way it's just "a difference of degree."

ok sorry rantoff.gif

personallyI doubt they really do pot or hash much any more, if at all. I would agree that Ged would want to save his voice.

edited just to add that the letter is from Sounds Magazine Fan Library Rush issue, for those who were wondering

I understand Neils point of view, but as a fan little pieces of personal Rush trivia are interesting to me, because the people in Rush themselves fascinate me.

Would I go talk to Neil like he was my friend if I saw him in a bar? No. I would never invade their privacy, or want anyone else to, and I'm glad they stay out of the media focus. I think it has prolonged them.

Archived