The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 8 2012, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 8 2012, 09:27 AM)
Hagar:

I don't have any way of competing with those guys; you can't compete with Van Halen. I'm part of that legacy, how could I go out and compete with something I'm part of?

One sentence later....

You want to go see Van Halen one night and see us the next and compare us, you want to do that? Roll up your sleeves and come on. I welcome it.

I can't compete.  Want us to compete?  I welcome it!

Always the wordsmith, Hagar.  biggrin.gif

Cherone wasn't able to get it right when he was in the group, but he sure sees what I see when listening to the album:

"This record, for me, it's the best thing since Fair Warning," he says. "[First single] 'Tattoo' is the only misstep. You wait 28 years to hear Van Halen, and in the context of the record, it's not the best song by far. Off the top of my head, I'm thinkin' of 'China Town,' if that was the first thing you heard, or 'As Is,' or 'Honeybabysweetiedoll.' Any of those three? People would've been like, 'Are you f***ing kidding me?' "

Yeah , Hagar is just so pissed off at the success of this album... It's hilarious the comments he's making

Worse than any comment was the GLARING contradiction one sentence later. rofl3.gif

God, talk about insecurities. The guy's ready to compare dick sizes and chest hair per square inch any moment now.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 8 2012, 10:24 AM)
I think Mr. Hagar can't come to terms with the fact that most Van Halen fans prefer Roth-era Van Halen to Hagar-era Van Halen.

I think he was pretty stunned that the rest of the album didn't match the criticisms leveled against Tattoo. You can just tell this guy was licking his chops since they'd released that as the first single....that surely it gets far worse from here. biggrin.gif

In language Hagar would understand: he was sucker-punched.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Someone close to him must tell him to shut his mouth. He really can not get over the fact they are playing without him. Sad . He looks like a Fool more and more. V.H. is not really doing Any press. The band was offered Letterman , Stern and every radio sation for an interview and they said No. I was reading last night that he is pissed at the promoter booking Chickenfoot shows because he is booking them the same time VH is in town laugh.gif You think Mike would have told him to chill by now , Sam is the Only one talking and now he is crying in his Cabo because the album is a hit and the Arena shows are sold out . Tickets went on sale for Chickenfoot at a theater in N.Y. last week and they sold about 500 tickets . Nice

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 8 2012, 12:19 PM)
Tickets went on sale for Chickenfoot at a theater in N.Y. last week and they sold  about 500 tickets . Nice

I refuse to see Chickenfoot because the chose to tour without Chad Smith!

Edited by ReRushed

As much as you guys love to bitch and moan that he talks too much, you sure do love talking about him. You complain that he won't shut up about his feelings about Van Halen, but then you spend 25 pages here not shutting up about your feelings about Sammy Hagar. You insult him, call him all manner of rude names, rant about how his tenure in the band wasn't as good as Roth's... yet when he makes any kind of negative comment about VH, he's out of line.

I'm curious as to why Van Halen has declined numerous offers for interviews, etc. Maybe they're just trying to avoid the inevitable first question.

"So, what do you think of the hash that Sammy has been slinging?"

I'd love to hear the answer to that question even if it's a "no comment." That would tell me that their heads are in the right place.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 8 2012, 12:38 PM)
As much as you guys love to bitch and moan that he talks too much, you sure do love talking about him. You complain that he won't shut up about his feelings about Van Halen, but then you spend 25 pages here not shutting up about your feelings about Sammy Hagar. You insult him, call him all manner of rude names, rant about how his tenure in the band wasn't as good as Roth's... yet when he makes any kind of negative comment about VH, he's out of line.

We are not in the public eye, Sam is , be a f-n Professional . He had his time with his book . He is supposed to be promoting His Bands album/tour and he can't stop talking about a band he has not been with since 2004 . Pretty much why I can't stand him

Someone's not paying a lick of attention to what's said. Try that. It's not about his opinion, for the 100th time. biggrin.gif My God man...

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Mar 8 2012, 12:44 PM)
I'm curious as to why Van Halen has declined numerous offers for interviews, etc. Maybe they're just trying to avoid the inevitable first question.

"So, what do you think of the hash that Sammy has been slinging?"

I'd love to hear the answer to that question even if it's a "no comment." That would tell me that their heads are in the right place.

Maybe Edward knows he'll go down that path. He's not exactly a stranger to slinging SMACK in the press. But unlike some folks, I actually ADMIRE him for choosing to not do that. Maybe that's something he's trying to get past. Maybe he's just trying to be the adult in the room, leaving the middle school antics to his former singer. That's just how it reads to me.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 8 2012, 01:15 PM)

Someone's not paying a lick of attention to what's said. Try that. It's not about his opinion, for the 100th time. biggrin.gif My God man...

I think Danny boy is having a Bad day . He must have spilled Coffee on his Balance Tour Shirt laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 8 2012, 12:51 PM)

We are not in the public eye, Sam is , be a f-n Professional . He had his time with his book . He is supposed to be promoting His Bands album/tour and he can't stop talking about a band he has not been with since 2004 . Pretty much why I can't stand him

I actually like the guy. (That's daniel's cue to ignore that bit). And I'd understand it more if he was in the middle of some big back and forth, but he's the only guy in the room and he's talking to himself. biggrin.gif No one's up his ass, no one's talking shit about him...no one's telling him his band sucks....he's doing all of this kind of thing on his own, unprovoked.

Follow Cherone's lead. Follow Mike Anthony's lead. Hell, and I can hardly believe this is coming out of my mouth, follow Dave and Edward's lead. Just shut up. You're NOT required to answer a reporter's question. You CAN choose to be cool about things, like all your bandmates have done. You don't HAVE to be the lone asshole in the room. Hagar chooses this.

That's on him.

As to why we "go on," he's making comments in the press and we're replying to that. If he didn't make the comments, there would be nothing to reply to. You tend to notice when a 65 year old acts like a 14 year old and makes a ginormous ass out of himself. It warrants a reply when you're essentially having a one-sided commentary and the other side won't oblige you. You KNOW Hagar is doing this to get a rise out of EVH or DLR in the press. It isn't working and now he looks like a dick. That warrants coversation on a music forum.

It doesn't bother me what he says. It's not my beef, him and Ed. I actually feel sad for him because he's making an utter fool out of himself publicly and he's the only one not in on the joke. It's sad.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 8 2012, 01:23 PM)

I actually like the guy. (That's daniel's cue to ignore that bit). And I'd understand it more if he was in the middle of some big back and forth, but he's the only guy in the room and he's talking to himself. biggrin.gif No one's up his ass, no one's talking shit about him...no one's telling him his band sucks....he's doing all of this kind of thing on his own, unprovoked.

Follow Cherone's lead. Follow Mike Anthony's lead. Hell, and I can hardly believe this is coming out of my mouth, follow Dave and Edward's lead. Just shut up. You're NOT required to answer a reporter's question. You CAN choose to be cool about things, like all your bandmates have done. You don't HAVE to be the lone asshole in the room. Hagar chooses this.

That's on him.

As to why we "go on," he's making comments in the press and we're replying to that. If he didn't make the comments, there would be nothing to reply to. You tend to notice when a 65 year old acts like a 14 year old and makes a ginormous ass out of himself. It warrants a reply when you're essentially having a one-sided commentary and the other side won't oblige you. You KNOW Hagar is doing this to get a rise out of EVH or DLR in the press. It isn't working and now he looks like a dick. That warrants coversation on a music forum.

I guess i need to mention i think his Music Blows also wink.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 8 2012, 01:23 PM)

That's on him.

yes.gif

I like the Van Hagar tunes nearly as much as I do the Roth tunes. I think a bit of what Sammy says is being taken the wrong way, but it's easy to do when 90% of the other stuff he says is flat out whining/bitching/whatever you wanna call it.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 8 2012, 12:15 PM)

I stand by what I said. Line by line, and remember I'm speaking of the general 'you' not you specifically, P-D:

As much as you guys love to bitch and moan that he talks too much, [true, you do]

you sure do love talking about him. [true again, 25 pages in]

You complain that he won't shut up about his feelings about Van Halen, [you do]

but then you spend 25 pages here not shutting up about your feelings about Sammy Hagar. [true again]

You insult him, [check]

call him all manner of rude names, [check]

rant about how his tenure in the band wasn't as good as Roth's... [big time check]

yet when he makes any kind of negative comment about VH, he's out of line. [kinda the basis for this entire thread]

So... how am I misreading all of this?

I get the part where you said you like Sam, P-D. That's not what I'm getting at here at all.

As for the validity of responding to his comments here... don't feed the troll. You think none of what people like us talk about gets back to him? He's not talking into a vacuum with nobody listening, he knows very well that *we* are, and that we're talking about him. It's not a great strategy, admittedly.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 8 2012, 11:19 AM)

I think Danny boy is having a Bad day . He must have spilled Coffee on his Balance Tour Shirt laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

ZING!

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Mar 8 2012, 12:40 PM)

rofl3.gif

ZING!

rofl3.gif

Yeah, yeah cool.gif

While I may seem... passionate... about this, I'm not in it emotionally. I think it's a great mental exercise or sparring opportunity. That's not to say I don't believe what I'm saying, I just mean that nobody should think I'm getting extremely worked up over this stuff wink.gif There's no malice or ill-will here.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 8 2012, 01:43 PM)

rofl3.gif

ZING!

rofl3.gif

Yeah, yeah cool.gif

While I may seem... passionate... about this, I'm not in it emotionally. I think it's a great mental exercise or sparring opportunity. That's not to say I don't believe what I'm saying, I just mean that nobody should think I'm getting extremely worked up over this stuff wink.gif There's no malice or ill-will here.

I didn't think that there was , all in good fun [sam is an Ass ] ph34r.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 8 2012, 11:43 AM)

rofl3.gif

ZING!

rofl3.gif

Yeah, yeah cool.gif

I know. trink39.gif

This thread is great. Lots of entertainment value for the buck.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the DLR-era VH. Don't get me wrong, though. I really do like Sammy, and his time with Van Halen had some really awesome moments.

I do think that he should shut his pie hole, but I also believe the press is partially responsible for what's going on. They know this line of inquiry is gonna get a rise outta Sammy and he falls for the bait every time.