The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 1 2012, 10:11 AM)
A snip of" As Is " is up on the VHND . 1022.gif

It ROCKS, doesn't it? I heard the first riff elsewhere and thought this was going to be an instrumental track. But it sounds like it has the classic VH feel, upbeat and up-tempo. Another one that sounds like a killer!!!!

What if VH says - "we haven't had an album in quite a few years... this one is gonna be $XX"

What price would piss you off? Is there a price? Is there a price that you absolutely wouldn't buy it?

For me, if the album was $15, I'd get it without much complaint. If it was $20 I would be thinking "greedy SOBs", but still would likely buy it...

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

If it's priced any higher than any other release, I won't buy it. I don't stand for jacking the prices to take advantage of the fans like that. It sends a *really* wrong message... that the band knows the fans will pay more, and they're willing to stick it to 'em. Kind of a dick move.

On the other hand, if they have special editions with bonus content and they charge extra for that, I have no problem with it. Price it however high you think will work. Ticketmaster sent me an email promoting a 2-LP package for $55. Too high for me, but not a bad price for a collector.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 2 2012, 10:08 AM)
$55 for the vinyl edition is kind of ridiculous.

It's high, but at least they're adding a little value.

http://www.store.ticketmaster.com/content/...93/default.aspx

It includes the MP3 version of the album (for people who don't want to rip from vinyl and don't want to pay again for a CD or digital version), also includes videos. It's on 180 gram red vinyl (which, I honestly don't know, I'm assuming that's good since it's a bullet point). I mean, okay, the "bonus" videos they're including also come with the CD and digital packages they're selling, but I don't *think* you'll get them if you buy the album at a Best Buy or something (I could be wrong).

Anyway yeah, I wouldn't buy it for that price, either. But collectors will. And that's who they're aiming that product at, after all.

Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 2 2012, 11:25 AM)

It includes the MP3 version of the album (for people who don't want to rip from vinyl and don't want to pay again for a CD or digital version), also includes videos. It's on 180 gram red vinyl (which, I honestly don't know, I'm assuming that's good since it's a bullet point). I mean, okay, the "bonus" videos they're including also come with the CD and digital packages they're selling, but I don't *think* you'll get them if you buy the album at a Best Buy or something (I could be wrong).

Anyway yeah, I wouldn't buy it for that price, either. But collectors will. And that's who they're aiming that product at, after all.

Yeah, that price is a killer. I just wanted a regular black vinyl. If they were going to do a DE, they should have at least thrown the CD into the package as well, along with a booklet of some sort.

Oh well, guess I'll appropriate this some other way. These songs sound well suited for vinyl...it's a shame they're charging so much.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Feb 2 2012, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 2 2012, 11:25 AM)

Yeah, that price is a killer. I just wanted a regular black vinyl. If they were going to do a DE, they should have at least thrown the CD into the package as well, along with a booklet of some sort.

Oh well, guess I'll appropriate this some other way. These songs sound well suited for vinyl...it's a shame they're charging so much.

Agreed. I wonder if this is a Ticketmaster thing or the standard, though. If I go to a local record shop, will they have a standard vinyl release? Or is this the only vinyl release? I guess we'll find out.

A d. j on X- M radio read a short review of the album it it was great. Tattoo is the one song they had a problem with and said it never should have been made the single. Duh, no shit laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 2 2012, 01:18 PM)
A d. j on X- M radio read a short review of the album it it was great. Tattoo is the one song they had a problem with and said it never should have been made the single. Duh, no shit laugh.gif

From what I've heard so far, I agree with the DJ. Tattoo is kind of a sore thumb on an otherwise rocking album! I guess they may have thought it was the most mainstream song on the album?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 2 2012, 10:57 AM)
The price was lowered after I pre-ordered it. Compared to the price of their concert tix it's a steal. I'd rather have the new album anyhow.

Is there a price you would say "Ah... screw it"?

4 STAR REVIEW IN TODAY'S (UK)GUARDIAN!!!

For you VH fans out there....I'm just spreading the love.....

Despite the multi-platinum gluttony of the Sammy Hagar era, true Van Halen devotees have never been in any doubt about who they want to front their favourite band. Some 28 years after Jump and Hot for Teacher, David Lee Roth has squeezed back into his old spandex pants, his lascivious yelping at last reunited with legendary guitarist Eddie Van Halen's nimble-fingered pyrotechnics (see page 12). In truth, this would have to be a dismal affair to fail to outstrip 1998's scorned Van Halen III, but once the DLR-related euphoria dies down, A Different Kind of Truth is a frequently thrilling return. These songs crackle, fizz and bulge with priapic exuberance, and not just due to the reliably demented Roth. Seemingly inspired by the presence of his 20-year-old son Wolfgang on bass, Van Halen is on extraordinary form, whether churning out sumptuous grooves on Tattoo and Big River, or gleefully setting his fretboard alight on China Town and the bug-eyed Bullethead. Against the odds, the party metal kings are back and blazing. Fun times.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 3 2012, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 3 2012, 06:47 AM)
Some 28 years after Jump and Hot for Teacher, David Lee Roth has squeezed back into his old spandex pants,

If by "spandex pants" they mean "train conductor overalls" or "old man attire" then spot on!

laugh.gif Wait until the tour starts, there will be more spandex than a High School hallway in 1985

theres some very good tunes on this album. pleasantly surprised. love the acoustic tunes they did on the dvd. alex looks a little out of place playing bongos. eddy is great on the acoustic guitar. dave talks way to much. should have been released in color.

iTunes has 1 minute previews of every track from the new album. You can find them here: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/preorder/a-diff...uxe/id493652877

It sounds decent, nothing spectacular.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 18 2012, 01:09 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuYoZ2bkInE&feature=related

Dress rehearsal videos up. Looks great musically. Dave's voice is rough.. (he even seems to be struggling with Tattoo) - but the music is right there.

I miss Dave jumping off the drum riser..