Epilepsy, seizures...

Drumnut

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister has Epilepsy, Drum, and there are not many things i've witnessed scarrier then being with her during a seizure. I remember as a child trying to stop her from swallowing her tongue and being terrified. It would only happen when she would slack off in taking her medication. She seams to be much better as an adult then she was as a child. Im sorry you have to deal with this affliction, i wish you well. Edited by tick

Drum, I never knew...Thoughts and prayers to you, my friend. I hope that you will find the right treatment to control things so you needn't worry. Possibly (hopefully) a cure will be found.

I say the following not to make comparisons to your situation (or anyone's) Drum, but the only experience I have with epilepsy is with my beloved beagle in my sig. She has epilepsy and despite medication, she still has seizures on occasion and it terrifies me and breaks my heart all at the same time. I would do anything to stop the seizures. I can only imagine what it must be like for you and your family.

Keep your chin up Drum, and keep fighting. If you need anything, I'm here for you.

My mom is epileptic..I remember when I was a kid being scared when she had her grand mal seizures but nowadays i'm usually on top of the game and can handle it ok.

Are you taking Dilantin Drum?

My mom is taking it but back in our hometown the moronic doctors precribed way too much and she had a horrible reaction (Her feet swelled so big and turned a horrible red and blistered like a real bad sunburn). She recently just moved here and the way better docs down here cut down her Dilantin prescription and she is doing much better.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jul 31 2007, 03:18 PM)
Thanks Sunny. It's something I battle with daily.

I knew... I never said tho. D, are you getting worse? Are you ok?

sad.gif

I thought I remembered this, Drum. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble controlling it with meds. What about the device you mentioned a while back?

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jul 31 2007, 06:54 PM)
I have had a seizure disorder for years, in the morning and at night, I take 6 different drugs to try to control them, but I still have them.

Anyone else have this horrible disease? wacko.gif

Danny,

My Ex Hubby had & still has grand mol seizures.

they came on 6 yrs AFTER he got jumped & beaten

in the head with bats. Drs said they were post dramtic Head

trama. something to do with the scar tissues and such confused13.gif

Scarest thing i ever saw. He was put on dylantin

But still had seizers break threw. I noticed it was usualy in

the mornings he had them. then he also started having

Absence seizures which werent really bad at all

it would be like, he was talkin to me then just stop talkin..

blink a few times & just 4get what he was talkin bout

it scared the crap outta me when i noticed the Absence seizures

cuz i thought it was the beginin to a grand mol one.

i havent seen or spoken to him in yrs, But my Sis in law

bumped into sumone that knew both of us & she was told

he had one so bad he didnt remember anyone in his family.

but later on..like hour or so regained his memory ph34r.gif

that was few yrs ago i heard bout that, not sure how hes doin

nowadayz

hope u have urz under control & PLZ becareful!

(my EX smashed my truck up while drivin & had a Grand mol

he hit a tree thanx gawd & not any people)

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jul 31 2007, 07:40 PM)
Drum, I never knew...Thoughts and prayers to you, my friend. I hope that you will find the right treatment to control things so you needn't worry. Possibly (hopefully) a cure will be found.

I say the following not to make comparisons to your situation (or anyone's) Drum, but the only experience I have with epilepsy is with my beloved beagle in my sig. She has epilepsy and despite medication, she still has seizures on occasion and it terrifies me and breaks my heart all at the same time. I would do anything to stop the seizures. I can only imagine what it must be like for you and your family.

Keep your chin up Drum, and keep fighting. If you need anything, I'm here for you.

no.gif u cant stop a seizer

all u can do is make sure the person/animal is safe

of obstructions & make sure they cant hurt themselves

durin the seizer.& DONT try to stick sumthin in their mouths

durin the seizer, they wont swallow their tounge,

might bite down on it but they cant swallow it.

bye tryin to stick somethin in their mouth durin the seizer

U can break off their teeth and cause them to choke

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 31 2007, 06:11 PM)
My mom is epileptic..I remember when I was a kid being scared when she had her grand mal seizures but nowadays i'm usually on top of the game and can handle it ok.

Are you taking Dilantin Drum?

My mom is taking it but back in our hometown the moronic doctors precribed way too much and she had a horrible reaction (Her feet swelled so big and turned a horrible red and blistered  like a real bad sunburn).  She recently just moved here and the way better docs down here cut down her Dilantin prescription and she is doing much better.

Yep, Dilantin is one of the many meds I take on a regular basis, 200 mgs twice daily.

I think I'm going to use this topic as my seizure diary as well. When I have one, I'll try to post about it here, if I can remember any of it, or describe what someone else has told me about it. I don't keep one now as it is, and I should. My Dr's ask me about them when I see them but I can never remember anything about them.

I even have my own smiley: wacko.gif

I hate to say everything that's been said before, but I hope that your seizures somehow wane and become less and less severe.

I remember once at my elementary school they gave us a presentation on what to do when somebody near you has a seizure. They told us a lot about what happened and I still remember it quite well.

I hope that lets you know that people are thinking of you. smile.gif

The only time I may have had something like that happen, but I'm not sure, was when I was at junior school, at around 10 years old, so it'd be in 1977. I was in the dining hall one day eating my lunch and the bulldog on duty (sorry, teacher), got a bit angry at something I said to someone and hit me in the back of the head just above the nape of my neck. Apparantly I "freaked out" and then lay unconscious with my face in my dinner for several moments. I came to not really sure what had happened, but my friend's filled me in. Mr Briely aka the bulldog, had gone a pale shade of grey as he trudged sheepishly past, he didn't apologize though.

So it wasn't exactly epilepsy and I've never had anything like that happen to me again, but it's somewhere in that vicinity. I suppose I found out the hard way why rabbit punching is a no-no in boxing...

trink38.gif

Drum, I am another that did not know of your condition. I am really sorry to hear that it is giving you increasing troubles and my heartfelt thoughts go out to you. A great many of us have things that we try to deal with on a regular basis and I just would like to tell you that we are ALL here for you buddy.

QUOTE (different strings @ Aug 1 2007, 01:49 AM)
Drum, I am another that did not know of your condition. I am really sorry to hear that it is giving you increasing troubles and my heartfelt thoughts go out to you. A great many of us have things that we try to deal with on a regular basis and I just would like to tell you that we are ALL here for you buddy.

Thanks DS, I appreciate that very much.

I hope that they are able to get this under

some type of control for you. I kow how hard is is

living through this and not knowing when the next

is coming. I remember you saying they were looking

into that device to try and counter-act them. Are they

still discussing that? My son's father had a surgery that

minimized his alot. He was taking several a week.

I am sending lots of prayers and thoughts your way. heart.gif

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Aug 1 2007, 03:44 AM)
I hope that they are able to get this under
some type of control for you. I kow how hard is is
living through this and not knowing when the next
is coming. I remember you saying they were looking
into that device to try and counter-act them. Are they
still discussing that? My son's father had a surgery that
minimized his alot. He was taking several a week.

I am sending lots of prayers and thoughts your way. heart.gif

Thanks CeeJ. I'm going to call my Dr and ask him about the procedure. If I can get them under control with medication, I'd rather not do it. But if that's my only option, I'm all for it.

ment to ask...

do u live alone?

even if U dont, u can still take procautions

that u dont hurt urself durin a seizer.

by kinda "babyproofin" ur home

not sayin ur a baby dazed025.gif

but its on the same lines kinda.

not havin sharp edges on any tables or things that

u can hit on ur way down while havin a seizer and such.

IM sure u know all bout this since u said u been dealin with

these for awhile now...

& plz! PLEASE becareful driving ( if u do)

wub.gif

also if u over exert urself 1 day like doin hard

manual physical labor maybe u can take a xtra

dose of ur meds so one dont break threw the next day

( talk to ur dr 1st. im far from a dr unsure.gif )

but like i said, my ex had them. and everytime he did alotta work

the day(strenuous work) b4 he had one break threw his meds the next day.

I kept a calender & mini diary of what kinda work he did

durin days. back then we owned a landscapin buss and noticed

when he work hard on days & durin those hot humid days

he would have one the next day ...

somethin for u to look into confused13.gif

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Aug 1 2007, 08:41 AM)
ment to ask...
do u live alone?
even if U dont, u can still take procautions
that u dont hurt urself durin a seizer.
by kinda "babyproofin" ur home
not sayin ur a baby  dazed025.gif
but its on the same lines kinda.
not havin sharp edges on any tables or things that
u can hit on ur way down while havin a seizer and such.
IM sure u know all bout this since u said u been  dealin with
these for awhile now...
& plz! PLEASE becareful driving ( if u do)
wub.gif

also if u over exert urself 1 day like doin hard
manual physical labor maybe u can take a xtra
dose of ur meds so one dont break threw the next day
( talk to ur dr 1st. im far from a dr  unsure.gif )
but like i said,  my ex had them. and everytime he did alotta work
the day(strenuous work) b4 he had one break threw his meds the next day.
I kept a calender & mini diary of what kinda work he did
durin days. back then we owned a landscapin buss and noticed
when he work hard on days & durin those hot humid days
he would have one the next day ...

somethin for u to look into  confused13.gif

Thanks Donna, sometimes I feel like I should wear a crash helmet. I live with my father, and it scares the hell out of him too. I do drive, when I've gone long enough to satisfy the state requirements but not much. Now that I'm on disability, I don't have to worry about getting to and from work. I would like to drive to and from my Dr's appts to make it easier on my Father. Right now I live in a small town and most of my Dr's offices are close by. I used to work for a car dealership and drove all the time, I've never had an accident related to my seizures.

Hate to repeat what others have already said, but I'm truly sorry about your condition, D. It is one of the most horrific diseases ever and even after all these years, I'm amazed that some effective medication hasn't been discovered yet. One of my brother-in-laws used to have seizures(he's dead now - we think that this is what actually caused his death, that and the fact that he wasn't taking his meds anymore). The first time I saw him have one, it was in the middle of the night and I was still very young - I can't say that it scared me but I was overwhelmed and unsure of what was going on.

It's a good idea to document your seizures here - maybe that will help you define some sort of a pattern. I hope you're feeling okay today. rose.gif smile.gif