Epilepsy, seizures...

Drumnut

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Aug 9 2012, 02:36 AM)
Good day yesterday, (as of now) I think my medication situation is leveling off a little bit and I don't feel as high as a kite all the time. After surgery, my dosage was increased to prevent relapse and the dosage was more than I had ever taken before. I've been slowly reducing my daily dosage and the "high" I had been getting is getting better, best thing, no seizures.

That's great news! I am really glad that you no longer live in constant fear of your next seizure! trink39.gif

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Aug 9 2012, 10:30 AM)
Good day yesterday, (as of now) I think my medication situation is leveling off a little bit and I don't feel as high as a kite all the time. After surgery, my dosage was increased to prevent relapse and the dosage was more than I had ever taken before. I've been slowly reducing my daily dosage and the "high" I had been getting is getting better, best thing, no seizures.

That's great news! I am really glad that you no longer live in constant fear of your next seizure! trink39.gif

Great news, Drumnut! smile.gif hug2.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 9 2012, 05:31 AM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Aug 9 2012, 10:30 AM)

Great news, Drumnut! smile.gif hug2.gif

Thank You Babycat! hug2.gif

Musical Brain Patterns Could Help Predict Epileptic Seizures

The brain produces electrical rhythms and using EEG -- electrodes on the scalp -- researchers were able to monitor the brain patterns in patients with epilepsy. Both in patients and in brain tissue samples the team were able to witness an abnormal brain wave noticeable due to its rapidly increasing frequency over time.

Comparing these to a musical 'glissando', an upwards glide from one pitch to another, the team found that this brain rhythm is unique to humans and they believe it could be related to epilepsy.

I'm still on disability and probably will be for years after having brain surgery which disability considers a traumatic brain injury. I'm going to try to take full advantage of the disability "ticket to work program" and attend this school considering disability is going to pay for it: The Microsoft IT Academy

www.microsoft.com

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 4 2011, 02:23 AM)
I need to call my Dr in the morning, I had another big seizure this morning.

I felt really bad for you when I read this. I know it is from last November, but that was when I read it.

How have you been doing since? I know you've had some issues with your meds that you seem to have worked out.

Anyway, I was really pulling for you after your surgery, and was bummed out when you said you'd had a seizure. But I'm glad you are doing better now.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Aug 23 2012, 04:43 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 4 2011, 02:23 AM)
I need to call my Dr in the morning, I had another big seizure this morning.

I felt really bad for you when I read this. I know it is from last November, but that was when I read it.

How have you been doing since? I know you've had some issues with your meds that you seem to have worked out.

Anyway, I was really pulling for you after your surgery, and was bummed out when you said you'd had a seizure. But I'm glad you are doing better now.

trink39.gif

Thanks for asking Sheldon, I've been doing much better lately, I'm still going to school and doing more to try to keep my appetite up. I can't wait to be able to get back to work again, I miss a good day of working up an appetite. I still want to find a Dr who will give me a script for MMJ. I'm not exactly getting wealthy on disability either. I had another good, seizure-free day today too, I can't wait to be able to work again! Disability is sending me to school again, once I finish and my Dr clears me for work, I'm ready to jump back into it and make some money!

I'm taking the Microsoft IT Academy Program at this school: www.lv-pita.com

Another seizure-free day on Sunday, spent the day studying, surfing, and then went out for a buffet with my Father. No school tomorrow but it's back to business as usual on Tuesday, gives me an extra day to study.

Hi Drumnut!!

I finally made it through this thread! (phew!) it's been really interesting reading your struggles with epilepsy.

My sister has it. She had petite male for years and has had a few grand mals, although nowhere near as frequently as yours. She's on Epilim. The last seizure she had was really freaky for all of us as she had a memory loss of about three days since having the seizure. She knows she went to work and texted everyone as there are records of this, but can't remember any of it!

I'm really glad things are going so well for you and your back studying!

hug2.gif

My oldest son (7 years) had one when he was 3, fever induced. My wife had just given birth to our second child. It was very hard to watch and experience. Thankfully, my wife works in the medical field and knew what to do. I remember holding my newborn and watching the oldest writhe and shake. 911 came and he was still unconcscious. I followed the ambulance all the way from my home to the hospital--sirens on.

My life seemed to just collapse with this moment. The thoughts that went through my head were of such dread.

When we arrived at the ER, they opened the back door and he was singing the theme from "Barney" with the medics. I still become sad at the thought of it.

Such powerlessness was not pleasant.

When I was a kid my mum worked as a childminder. One of the children she looked after had convulsions one day. Terrified me! My mum phoned the emergency services and they took her to hospital and phoned her mother. She was ok, but it was scary not knowing what to do.

As I said in my earlier post, my sister has epilepsy. But whilst I've seen her have many petite mals I've never seen her have a grand mal. I've been told its scary to witness.

I had another seizure-free day today! I'm working with vocational re-hab here in Las Vegas, NV to try to get back to work and get off disability. If I can go out and earn a living seizure-free, I'd gladly work 12 hours a day rather than try to live on what disability pays.

I miss work! angry.gif And making money! drool1.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Oct 11 2012, 12:54 AM)
Hi Danny.
Was just wondering about seizure alert dogs. Apparently they can sense a seizure coming? Is this something that would be helpful for you? Do they train them for that or is it something that you have to do on your own?

I've read a lot about them and have chatted with people at The Epilepsy Foundation Forum that have them and they swear by them. I was going to look into getting one when I lived in Pennsylvania and did do a little investigating into the subject. They do train dogs to assist people when they do have a seizure but a dog that is usually "chosen" as a seizure alert dog is one that has already shown a natural ability to sense a seizure coming on. If they do 'hit' on a seizure, they'll come and sit by the person and try to warn them that a seizure is coming. From everything I've heard about them, it's the animals own natural ability to sense a seizure. Where I'm living right now, I can't keep a dog and since my brain surgery, I hopefully won't need one! I did recently adopt 2 kittens, I hope they never have to see me have a seizure!

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Oct 17 2012, 07:33 AM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Oct 11 2012, 12:54 AM)
Hi Danny.
Was just wondering about seizure alert dogs. Apparently they can sense a seizure coming? Is this something that would be helpful for you? Do they train them for that or is it something that you have to do on your own?

I've read a lot about them and have chatted with people at The Epilepsy Foundation Forum that have them and they swear by them. I was going to look into getting one when I lived in Pennsylvania and did do a little investigating into the subject. They do train dogs to assist people when they do have a seizure but a dog that is usually "chosen" as a seizure alert dog is one that has already shown a natural ability to sense a seizure coming on. If they do 'hit' on a seizure, they'll come and sit by the person and try to warn them that a seizure is coming. From everything I've heard about them, it's the animals own natural ability to sense a seizure. Where I'm living right now, I can't keep a dog and since my brain surgery, I hopefully won't need one! I did recently adopt 2 kittens, I hope they never have to see me have a seizure!

Thanks Danny.

I hope you won't have anymore seizures either. That was quite the operation they performed on you!

Good luck hun. trink39.gif

The new guy I trained at work had to take his first week off because of a seizure. Apparently he woke up in a pool of blood one day. He also had a stroke about 6 months ago. The doctors think he may have MS and he needs further tests. Poor kid is only 19 :/