Band of brothers

mortkort

QUOTE (mortkort @ Jul 31 2007, 06:03 PM)
ive watched the 4 first episodes now, and what an awesome show! cant wait to see the other ones. so many great shows from HBO. any other fans here?

Yes, I've watched the series at least twelve times and I've read the book. I own it on DVD and I have given the DVD set as a gift twice: to my Father and to my Father-in-law.

Currahee!

My copy is on loan currently. I think it's one of the most outstanding things put to video ever. The book too is awesome and the series is relatively close to the printed word.

My Dad was a World War II vet - a regular ground pounder, not Airborne - who died before I fully understood what he and men like him did. These were ordinary men who did extraordinary things, as promotional pieces say. The first-hand accounts are what make it real.

I'm glad others are taking a liking to it.

QUOTE (skyswing @ Jul 31 2007, 07:12 PM)
My copy is on loan currently. I think it's one of the most outstanding things put to video ever. The book too is awesome and the series is relatively close to the printed word.
My Dad was a World War II vet - a regular ground pounder, not Airborne - who died before I fully understood what he and men like him did. These were ordinary men who did extraordinary things, as promotional pieces say. The first-hand accounts are what make it real.
I'm glad others are taking a liking to it.

I'm glad, too. It gives me hope for the future.

My Grandfather was a World War II vet. He was a Marine who was at both Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima. At the battle of Iwo Jima, my Grandfather was in a foxhole with his best friend. A Japanese soldier threw a grenade into their foxhole and my Grandfather's friend threw himself on it. The concussion permanently deafened my Grandfather in his right ear and he was sent home. I can only imagine what that must have been like for him. He never talked about it, I got the story secondhand from my Dad and it was an unwritten rule in the family to never discuss it with him.

My Grandfather died in 1986 and I miss him a lot.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jul 31 2007, 07:30 PM)
This series was incredible. HBO did an outstanding job.

I love how Sobel turned out to be a complete idiot laugh.gif

Yes, he was a thoroughly unlikeable man. But the sentiment among the men is that Lieutenant Sobel made Easy Company. It was his unrelenting driving of the men that they all believe helped to prepare them for what they went through. Sobel was invited to several Easy Company reunions, but he never came to any. Bill Guarnere even paid his membership dues for the 101st Association in hopes that he would one day show up but he never did. In 1988 Sobel tried to commit suicide, but he botched it. He died in 1988 and his funeral was a sad affair. His ex-wife did not attend and neither did his sons or any member of Easy Company.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 31 2007, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jul 31 2007, 07:30 PM)
This series was incredible. HBO did an outstanding job.

I love how Sobel turned out to be a complete idiot  laugh.gif

Yes, he was a thoroughly unlikeable man. But the sentiment among the men is that Lieutenant Sobel made Easy Company. It was his unrelenting driving of the men that they all believe helped to prepare them for what they went through. Sobel was invited to several Easy Company reunions, but he never came to any. Bill Guarnere even paid his membership dues for the 101st Association in hopes that he would one day show up but he never did. In 1988 Sobel tried to commit suicide, but he botched it. He died in 1988 and his funeral was a sad affair. His ex-wife did not attend and neither did his sons or any member of Easy Company.

Heck, if the man fed me Spaghetti and then made me go on a 10 mile hike (or whatever length it was) I wouldn't come to his funeral either. cool.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jul 31 2007, 07:51 PM)
I just finished watching the entire series (for like the 50th time)

I can't wait till the Pacific episodes start! biggrin.gif

They are making more???? Please tell me this is true!!!

This was such a great series, that we've had at least three threads about it in this forum.

Like Jack, I've got the DVD set and have read the book. Outstanding.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jul 31 2007, 05:52 PM)

I can't wait till the Pacific episodes start!  biggrin.gif

"DreamWorks has confirmed that a new 10-part miniseries from the creators of Band of Brothers (Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman), called The Pacific, is in development.[citation needed] The new miniseries will focus on the Pacific Theater. The project is due out in 2009, although this is subject to change."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jul 31 2007, 08:23 PM)

"DreamWorks has confirmed that a new 10-part miniseries from the creators of Band of Brothers (Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman), called The Pacific, is in development.[citation needed] The new miniseries will focus on the Pacific Theater. The project is due out in 2009, although this is subject to change."

biggrin.gif

common001.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 653.gif 1022.gif

Unless I'm mistaken, the Pacific series won't be from a book written by the late Stephen Ambrose. They'll have to use another original source of some kind, or possibly a combination of resources.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Aug 1 2007, 01:23 AM)

biggrin.gif

thats awesome!