Guess What the #1 Internet Album is

snowdogged

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jul 12 2007, 10:57 PM)
PK kind of has a point. I mean, the White Stripes aren't exactly obscure, they're far from that... but calling them commercial and putting their name next to Bon Jovi is a little much.

The White Stripes are commercial, and they suck. At least Bon Jovi doesn't suck.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (thebernreuter @ Jul 13 2007, 08:24 AM)
PK kind of has a point. I mean, the White Stripes aren't exactly obscure, they're far from that... but calling them commercial and putting their name next to Bon Jovi is a little much.

The White Stripes are commercial, and they suck. At least Bon Jovi doesn't suck.

Yeah! Generic, derivative, cliched, imitative, formulaic and apish. Bon Jovi doesn't suck! sarcasm.gif

Bon Jovi is on his bogus country kick because he's so innovative and cutting edge! wacko.gif Jack White did it 5 years ago!

Bon Jovi is a sham! He couldn't hold Jack White's jockstrap!

Why all the hate for the White Stripes on this board? confused13.gif

The White Stripes kick ass! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif 653.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Frankie7 @ Jul 13 2007, 09:16 AM)
I thought you guys didn't care about charts? confused13.gif

I think people don't care about the charts in regards to personally liking the album, otherwise I think people are happy the album seems to have legs and, overall, is a success for Rush. yes.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 13 2007, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (Frankie7 @ Jul 13 2007, 09:16 AM)
I thought you guys didn't care about charts? confused13.gif

I think people don't care about the charts in regards to personally liking the album, otherwise I think people are happy the album seems to have legs and, overall, is a success for Rush. yes.gif

Ok, if you look at it that way, it makes sense! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 13 2007, 05:27 AM)

Yeah! Generic, derivative, cliched, imitative, formulaic and apish. Bon Jovi doesn't suck! sarcasm.gif

Bon Jovi is on his bogus country kick because he's so innovative and cutting edge! wacko.gif Jack White did it 5 years ago!

The White Stripes kick ass! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif 653.gif 1022.gif

Correct you are sir.

I used to dislike the White Stripes, but their new song "Icky Thump" is pretty cool. Very nice Zeppelinish riff, some killer guitar work, and interesting lyrics. 1022.gif

I think maybe a lot of folks dislike them because of Jack White's vocals. Kind of like Rush. cool.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 13 2007, 09:33 AM)
I used to dislike the White Stripes, but their new song "Icky Thump" is pretty cool. Very nice Zeppelinish riff, some killer guitar work, and interesting lyrics. 1022.gif

I think maybe a lot of folks dislike them because of Jack White's vocals. Kind of like Rush. cool.gif

No, I think people dislike them because of how simple Meg's drumming is. Look at every White Stripes thread in the "Music of the Spheres" section, and the main thing White Stripes bashers are saying is "a 5th-grader could play what she plays." So what. IT SOUNDS GOOD. It would sound not as good with more complex drumming.

If you liked the new song, check out the album of the same name. The album rocks, and if you liked that song you'll probably like the whole album.

Some of you are f***ing clueless when it comes to music.

The White Stripes = Bon Jovi?

Am I missing something here? Yeah, they have gotten big over the years, and they are selling a lot. Their actual sound (the music they play)..is far from mainstream. Have any you even listened to their cd's? Don't like them, fine...but stop talking shit just because they are actually doing good, and you don't like them.

Ever hear "Rag and Bones"? how about "Catch Hell Blues"? My guess you haven't.

I'm sorry, but Rush has created more "mainstream" hits then The White Stripes. Please get off your high horse now.

Nice review of S&A on this billboard site also worth reading.

It means those who either downloaded or bought the album off the internet as many of Rush's fanbase are older. Same thing happened with Pink Floyd's Is There Anybody Out There? and Echoes CDs. Both hit #1 on the Billboard Top Internet Albums charts whilst each disc peaked at #'s 19 and 2 respectively on The Billboard 200.

Mostly older fans buy the albums online whereas the kids go make the physical purchases in stores. That was what happened with Britney Spears' Britney. Whilst she hit #1 on The Billboard 200, Pink Floyd (whom came in at #2 and have had 5 US #1 chart-toppers with DSotM, WYWH, The WAll, TDB and PULSE) debuted at #2 and helped her KO Michael Jackson's Invincible. Most of the 2-disc Floyd besof called Echoes' sales were by purchases from CDNOW (now defunct) and Amazon, the top online retailers.

I wonder what Triumph has to say about that......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 12 2007, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 12 2007, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 12 2007, 06:47 PM)
commercial crap like The White Stripes

No.

rofl3.gif

Anyways, good for S&A.

Why WS doesn't have a bass player is beyond me. confused13.gif

I don't listen to them so I'm not sure why I even mentioned it. confused13.gif

QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 13 2007, 09:25 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 12 2007, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 12 2007, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 12 2007, 06:47 PM)
commercial crap like The White Stripes

No.

rofl3.gif

Anyways, good for S&A.

Why WS doesn't have a bass player is beyond me. confused13.gif

I don't listen to them so I'm not sure why I even mentioned it. confused13.gif

Jack White says he likes the White Stripes to work within the parameters of vocals, guitar and drums. I guess he feels the limitations can be used as strengths. I think it works. yes.gif

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jul 13 2007, 09:07 PM)

I wonder what Triumph has to say about that......

OK...here's Triumph discussing Bon Jovi.

For those of you w/ longer attention spans...here's the whole kabob!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 13 2007, 02:27 PM)

Can't agree more they might be ubiquitous now but that is because they so damn good.

You shouldn't knock great bands just because they became popular.

Bon Jovi on the other hand are rock for girls

unsure.gif Wow.

Mainstream and Pop are the same thing. Top 40 is both. A song will generally last longer if it is played on Classic Rock stations.

wacko.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Jul 14 2007, 09:28 AM)
unsure.gif Wow.
Mainstream and Pop are the same thing. Top 40 is both. A song will generally last longer if it is played on Classic Rock stations.

wacko.gif

In the chart sense, the "Mainstream Rock" chart and the "Hot 200" aren't the same thing. The Hot 200 is basically the pop chart.

unsure.gif thanks for the correction.

Wow this "Internet Album" ranking stuff is strange.

By coincidence I noticed the same thing on Wikipedia today when I was trying to figure out the origin of the term "Running with Scissors" and instead came across a Weird Al album of the same name. They cite that album of his to be:

1999 Top Internet Albums 3

But have no real info on what that means exactly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_with_...ors_%28album%29

Archived