What's the most overrated Rush song

drewb93

Yes, not fair. And not the same thing :(

Don't blame the Band for the radio play. "Overplayed" is one thing. "Overrated" is entirely an opinion.

Radio play is almost their entire early history. There is nothing about Rush that is "meh".

...plink, plink.

I get why people like the lyrics of The Garden but I don't geek out and get reduced to tears by it. It's OK. Pleasant. But not the epic soul wrenching experience a lot of fans seem to have with it

I liked it better in the original French.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candide

"A Passage to Bangkok."

Sure, if you're a pothead, it's fun... but the theme of toking across Thailand is a little stupid compared to the serious messages in Neil's other songs. If I were the band, I'd be embarrassed by this one.

And yet, a lot of fans like it.

I love the song because they mention Jamaica, a place I just love to visit, besides the thought of traveling the world in search of the best weed seems brilliant to me.

Peace

Available Light.

Why is everyone drooling over this song?

Everyone considers this to be the late 80's Xanadu or 2112.

I love Available Light. Beautiful lyrics and touching arrangement that skillfully suits Geddy's voice. And GREAT playing by Lifeson, especially in that second verse. I think it's a sly nod to Tom Sawyer too.

the vocals are great until he shouts "IN THE AVAILABLE LIIIIIIGHT"

Available Light.

I love Available Light. Beautiful lyrics and touching arrangement that skillfully suits Geddy's voice. And GREAT playing by Lifeson, especially in that second verse. I think it's a sly nod to Tom Sawyer too.

It's called hitting the high note.

An example of Shouting would be at the beginning of Finding My Way "YAYEAH, OOOH YEAH!" Thats not what he's doing here

Available Light.

Lol, that is definitely my favorite part of the song, the whole thing is building up to it. I can see how if you don't like that part the rest of the song would feel like a bit of a let down.

Available Light.

But yet you like the yodeling on Bravest Face?

Available Light.

better than hitting the high note with some subpar production Edited by _hi_water._

Available Light.

better than hitting the high note with some subpar production

Uh huh

Witchhunt - cheesy riff and lyrics.

I think the lyrics are great. When the song was first released an informed source (another teenager) told me the song was about the Moral Majority.

Let's not forget that it's part 3 of the Fear Trilogy, an examination of different aspects of fear. (Until Freeze was released on VT. Then I guess it became part 3 of the Fear Tetralogy.)

At risk of being banished to the land of the Necromancer, but Xanadu for me. I don`t understand what everyone loves so much. I`ve tried to "get it" because I figure it`ll register as the epic the loud majority tells me it is, but I just feel deflated by the thing. Certainly I prefer Neil`s own lyrics and thoughts, rather than those of Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Maybe that`s why. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 2

At risk of being banished to the land of the Necromancer, but Xanadu for me. I don`t understand what everyone loves so much. I`ve tried to "get it" because I figure it`ll register as the epic the loud majority tells me it is, but I just feel deflated by the thing. Certainly I prefer Neil`s own lyrics and thoughts, rather than those of Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Maybe that`s why.

Exactly. I think people only love this song much because of the "dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo" *crash* "dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo
  • Like 1

At risk of being banished to the land of the Necromancer, but Xanadu for me. I don`t understand what everyone loves so much. I`ve tried to "get it" because I figure it`ll register as the epic the loud majority tells me it is, but I just feel deflated by the thing. Certainly I prefer Neil`s own lyrics and thoughts, rather than those of Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Maybe that`s why.

Exactly. I think people only love this song much because of the "dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo" *crash* "dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo

Doesn't sound great when you put it like that:)
  • Like 1

Only that part? Thats the only part people love? :wtf:

• Like 1

Theres a number of them, Between The Wheels, The Pass, but the king of all overrated songs beats them all.. 2112.

:LOL:

The track that saved the band?

Yeah...so, I gave it a listen today and the overture still kicks ass as an album opener. No way is 2112 overrated.

ETA: Unless you mean the entirety. I rarely listen past presentation.

A friend who is no Rush fan wrote me the other day: "I am slightly embarrassed to say that I've been listening to 2112 lately. It's really pretty good."

They're still winning new fans. Not as many as Floyd or Zep, but they're out there to be won.

• Like 2

I'm nonplussed at several fan favorites, such as Jacob's Ladder, Between The Wheels, and The Weapon.

I'm nonplussed at several fan favorites, such as Jacob's Ladder, Between The Wheels, and The Weapon.

They`re all good, but not great.

Only that part? Thats the only part people love? :wtf:

That's the epic intro part that's so popular at hockey games. For me it's the best part of the song.

the overture? maybe...

TAKE THAT BACK, YOU HEATHEN

2112 Overture is a gift to rock guitarists and drummers everywhere... best soundcheck tune EVER.

this post still makes me giggle :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

You think that’s the only reason?! Is this hi_water hyperbole again?

Obviously, the reasons why people like it vary. <——this is not hyperbole.

• Like 1