Ignore Feature?

rushfanNlv

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 20 2007, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 20 2007, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 20 2007, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jul 20 2007, 03:56 AM)
just a thought, anyone pompous enough to start a thread about being able to ignore certain members trully deserves to be ignored. yes.gif

You totally missed the point of why I was asking about this feature. It was never my intention to ignore any of the regular members on this board but rather the trolls that seem to pop up on message boards every summer. Kids who are bored with nothing better to do than start fights and post spam type stuff on message boards. At another site I used to frequent, this was a huge problem and the admin would basically ignore the problem so it was easier to use the ignore feature. I've said this since the beginning of the thread. I apologize if I am offending anyone here because I really like everyone on this message board.

But the admins can't ignore it, because their job is to do just the opposite.

If someone at your workplace is mouthing off to all the others, the directors don't just ignore what is happening, they have a duty to act, so the admins can't ignore.

If a 'troll' comes on here (usually with a new member name), how can you choose to ignore someone that you don't even know you need to ignore? Often they go away pretty soon anyway, and if they are out to really annoy and realise there is an 'ignore' feature on here, they just come back and log in as a new member.

yeah and sometimes its fun to watch them go down in flames laugh.gif

They are entertainment man!!

Rushfanlv you need to look at the trolls like that yes.gif

You're right. There is a huge difference between the site I am referring to and this site in that respect. The trolls get taken care of quickly. I guess I just assumed it would be a problem here as well.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 20 2007, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 20 2007, 11:39 AM)
just a thought, anyone pompous enough to start a thread about being able to ignore certain members trully deserves to be ignored. yes.gif

You totally missed the point of why I was asking about this feature. It was never my intention to ignore any of the regular members on this board but rather the trolls that seem to pop up on message boards every summer. Kids who are bored with nothing better to do than start fights and post spam type stuff on message boards. At another site I used to frequent, this was a huge problem and the admin would basically ignore the problem so it was easier to use the ignore feature. I've said this since the beginning of the thread. I apologize if I am offending anyone here because I really like everyone on this message board.

If someone at your workplace is mouthing off to all the others, the directors don't just ignore what is happening, they have a duty to act, so the admins can't ignore.

If a 'troll' comes on here (usually with a new member name), how can you choose to ignore someone that you don't even know you need to ignore? Often they go away pretty soon anyway, and if they are out to really annoy and realise there is an 'ignore' feature on here, they just come back and log in as a new member.

You're right. There is a huge difference between the site I am referring to and this site in that respect. The trolls get taken care of quickly. I guess I just assumed it would be a problem here as well.

trink39.gif

2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):

Godeater2112

Oh shit I hope that Guest isn't a troll scout checking this thread to let all the trolls know we don't have a ignore-troll feature!?!

Where the frig did I put my troll-blaster gun?

*scrambles about*

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 20 2007, 02:10 PM)

ok then, good enough for me. trink39.gif Thankfully we dont have a great deal of trolls here.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 20 2007, 03:39 PM)

FINALLY!

Somebody who gets trolls. I personally love most of them... I've seen trolls who post genuinely funnier stuff than any "real" member of a message board... some of them are very good at the game. The ones that aren't usually realize what they're doing isn't working and leave pretty quickly.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jul 21 2007, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 20 2007, 03:39 PM)

FINALLY!

Somebody who gets trolls. I personally love most of them... I've seen trolls who post genuinely funnier stuff than any "real" member of a message board... some of them are very good at the game. The ones that aren't usually realize what they're doing isn't working and leave pretty quickly.

Exactly!

Also, trolling is more a state of mind than a label to apply to a person. A great many of us have engaged in some sort of minor trolling at some point or other in the past. it could even be argued that playing "devils advocate" can be a form of it.

The only problem is when someone does it constantly.....

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 21 2007, 04:39 AM)

yes.gif Bring back Melodick777! wink.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 21 2007, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 21 2007, 04:39 AM)

yes.gif Bring back Melodick777! wink.gif

laugh.gif

no.gif He threatened my life and I'm pretty afwaid of him. scared.gif

no.gif

biggrin.gif

In a more serious vein though... I see the original point. If this was any other kind of forum, then maybe one of these ignore features could be good. Especially if you're a victim of personal harassment from one of these trolls. But on this board, that kind of stuff doesn't exist really. I mean... there's spats and minor feuds, but most people either work them out, or learn to ignore each other anyway. It's not that hard.

What I meant by it being "toopid", is that since someone can quote that post anyway... you're never really completely "safe" from someone's words. Just a silly thing i feel. I couldn't be bothered to enter someone's name into the ignore feature, y'know? Well... except maybe Tick. But other than him... nah.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 21 2007, 07:28 AM)
In a more serious vein though... I see the original point. If this was any other kind of forum, then maybe one of these ignore features could be good. Especially if you're a victim of personal harassment from one of these trolls. But on this board, that kind of stuff doesn't exist really. I mean... there's spats and minor feuds, but most people either work them out, or learn to ignore each other anyway. It's not that hard.

What I meant by it being "toopid", is that since someone can quote that post anyway... you're never really completely "safe" from someone's words. Just a silly thing i feel. I couldn't be bothered to enter someone's name into the ignore feature, y'know? Well... except maybe Tick. But other than him... nah.

biggrin.gif

Thanks Necromancer. I appreciate you seeing my point of view and I hope everyone realizes that I never meant to offend anyone. I truly like everyone here and feel at home here. It was never my intention to ignore any of you.

You're right about this site never having problems like that. I've only seen the whole Melodick777 episode happen. I just assumed that it was inevitable at every site but the mods here must be on their toes. At the other site I referenced, we would have 10 to 20 threads started in the guitars section with a link that said "Shakira having sex!" day after day. I would go through and delete the threads (which took an hour or so) only to find them all back in the next day. At that point, the owner of the site needed to step in and ban the offenders IP address but I couldn't get the site owner to respond so we directed the members to use the ignore feature.

Again, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I dig Rush and I dig being here.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 20 2007, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 20 2007, 02:10 PM)

ok then, good enough for me. trink39.gif Thankfully we dont have a great deal of trolls here.

trink39.gif Thanks. smile.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 21 2007, 11:35 AM)
The other advnatge of not having an ignore feature is that when no one replies to an entry of mine, I can be sure it sucked or was unworthy of a response smile.gif

What about those of us who frequently just TELL YOU SO????