Ignore Feature?

rushfanNlv

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 15 2007, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 12 2007, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 11 2007, 01:56 PM)
Great idea.... I can then simply put everyone in the entire forum on it and only have to look at my posts. That way my delicate sensibilities won't be offended by any opinion that doesn't agree with mine, and I won't have to whine and cry about all the big bad bullies out there that don't live in sunny la-la land sarcasm.gif

Dude, again....you are way off. This has nothing to do with delicate sensibilities or opinions. You, I wouldn't ignore. You are always good for a laugh. Trolls however, I would choose to ignore.

Again I'll say it: It is an option in the program and all message board programs for a reason.

You know, I can forgive most things...

But being called "dude" is not one of them.

Please desist from using this hippy, joss-stick, 70's language forthwith or I will be forced to use the ignore button

wink.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

biggrin.gif That made me laugh out loud. Thanks. smile.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Questions:

1. What would happen if someone in someone's 'ignore' list posted, but then someone who isn't in the ignore list then later quoted that other person? Is the quote then not visible?

2. What happens if a person in someone's ignore list starts a new thread? Does the whole thread disappear from view, even if people who are not on the ignore list have posted in that thread?

I thought the whole idea of a forum was to discuss things whether you think they are right or wrong.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 17 2007, 01:39 AM)
Questions:

1. What would happen if someone in someone's 'ignore' list posted, but then someone who isn't in the ignore list then later quoted that other person? Is the quote then not visible?

2. What happens if a person in someone's ignore list starts a new thread? Does the whole thread disappear from view, even if people who are not on the ignore list have posted in that thread?

I thought the whole idea of a forum was to discuss things whether you think they are right or wrong.

That's right, I'M right, YOU'RE wrong. And we can discuss this for as long as you like...

Btw you're on ignore till further notice...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 17 2007, 08:21 AM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 17 2007, 01:39 AM)
Questions:

That's right, I'M right, YOU'RE wrong. And we can discuss this for as long as you like...

Btw you're on ignore till further notice...

laugh.gif

I don't agree! Ignore Treeduck!

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 16 2007, 10:39 PM)
Questions:

You would see the persons post in a quote. No avoiding that. As far as a thread started by someone on your ignore list, you would see everyone elses post but that persons. If there were no other posts in the thread, you would see some sort of "no thread specified" type error message.

This type of thing is meant for trolls which is what I am trying to avoid.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 18 2007, 11:24 AM)
rushfanNlv :  So far you're the only one here who says they want an ignore feature.

old.gif

I am well aware of that thanks. And when it does become available, you can all ignore me if you want or you can read my posts and see that I am trying to ignore some of the more trollish behavior from some members and not just ignore people who share a different opinion as me. I love hanging out at this forum but don't like reading the same response over and over from someone regardless of what the topic of the thread may be.

AGAIN I WILL SAY IT. THE ABILITY TO IGNORE OTHER MEMBERS IS A STANDARD FEATURE ON ALL MESSAGE BOARDS. IT IS AN AVAILABLE OPTION FOR A REASON. ADMIN HAS ONLY TO INSTALL IT.

In a personal message, admin told me it is on the way.

Edited by rushfanNlv

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 6 2007, 01:26 PM)
If I'm the minority here and nobody else wants the ability to ignore members, fine. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.

Tut tut! Too late you already made a different deal!

Better work on that tolerance thing you also mentioned instead.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 18 2007, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 6 2007, 01:26 PM)
If I'm the minority here and nobody else wants the ability to ignore members, fine.  I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.

Tut tut! Too late you already made a different deal!

Better work on that tolerance thing you also mentioned instead.

trink39.gif

Tolerance of trolls who join a message board to bash the message board subject? Why when it's just as easy to ignore them? Please read all of my posts.

Edited by rushfanNlv

To be quite honest I'm not trying to single you out or anything but lots of yours posts I read are things like bashing someone elses comments, or bashing someone's signature or bashing the fact we don't have an ignore feature.

Then again that's just my observation.

I have no idea if the MODs plan to implement an ignore feature or not but... first they have to find the setting, then put a checkmark in the box and THEN likely restart the web service! That's a lot of work.

Maybe they would have done it - but then you said if you're the minority who wants it you don't actually care - so maybe they changed their mind? I dunno.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 17 2007, 07:39 AM)
Questions:

These were serious question btw. Not answered. confused13.gif

Uh-oh some bad news.

I was reading up on different forum software packages - and for some of them setting the ignore feature is NOT just a check-box it might actually be a COUPLE of parameters in an .ini file.

That's even harder to implement!

scared.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 18 2007, 12:06 PM)
To be quite honest I'm not trying to single you out or anything but lots of yours posts I read are things like bashing someone elses comments, or bashing someone's signature or bashing the fact we don't have an ignore feature.

Then again that's just my observation.

I have no idea if the MODs plan to implement an ignore feature or not but... first they have to find the setting, then put a checkmark in the box and THEN likely restart the web service! That's a lot of work.

Maybe they would have done it - but then you said if you're the minority who wants it you don't actually care - so maybe they changed their mind? I dunno.

confused13.gif

I'm sticking to that too. If I'm the only one then oh well. It's not that big of a deal. Admin has sent me a message saying it was on the way but if it's not, no sweat.

I was simply asking the question. It seems that most of you think I want the ignore feature because I don't like someone or because someone says things that piss me off. I think I've said enough times that this is not the case.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 18 2007, 12:15 PM)
Questions:

I answered. Scroll up about six posts from yours.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 18 2007, 04:15 PM)
Questions:

From what I've seen on other boards where there is an ignore feature...

1) YES. If someone quotes the ignored person, whatever they said is now visible to you anyway.

2) The thread will be visible on the main page, but the ignored member's posts inside the thread will not be. But since someone is bound to quote them anyway... it will be visible further down.

So the moral of the story is... IGNORE BUTTON is TOOPID!!!

I've seen them on other boards and they are just dumb. If someone is bothering you THAT much... just go to the principal's office and report them, okay? laugh.gif

I clearly understand your position on this just not the issue.

Personally I think it's a great public service not to have an ignore feature because this helps people prepare themselves to leave the house - where there is no such ignore function that i know of. Help build that skin up a lill you know what I mean?

That plus I am scared that if we had an ignore feature everyone would have ME on it -except maybe my good buddies ILS and RTR.

sad.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 18 2007, 12:26 PM)
I clearly understand your position on this just not the issue.

Personally I think it's a great public service not to have an ignore feature because this helps people prepare themselves to leave the house - where there is no such ignore function that i know of. Help build that skin up a lill you know what I mean?

That plus I am scared that if we had an ignore feature everyone would have ME on it -except maybe my good buddies ILS and RTR.

sad.gif

I'm 37 years old. I've learned to deal with all kinds of people over the course of my lifetime. I've become quite good at understanding people and reacting to even the most abrasive people in a positive manner. You should see the gyu I have to work with every day. He so wound up you couldn't fit a pin up his ass with a jack hammer. My skin is very thick. biggrin.gif

I disagree with you Necro. I don't think that the feature is toopid. It's not so much a problem here, but on other sites where there are tons of spammers and kids posting crap, it becomes a real problem. A thread about guitar strings turns into a 30 page nightmare of spam and Marilyn Manson quotes (yes that did happen). When the admin does absolutely nothing about it, the ignore button is your only friend.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 18 2007, 02:41 PM)
It's not so much a problem here, but on other sites where there are tons of spammers and kids posting crap, it becomes a real problem.

Exactly. We don't tolerate that crap around here. No need to ignore people who are banned.

Edited by pedro2112

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 18 2007, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 18 2007, 02:41 PM)
It's not so much a problem here, but on other sites where there are tons of spammers and kids posting crap, it becomes a real problem.

Exactly. We don't tolerate that crap around here. No need to ignore people who are banned.

Yeah the mods are on the job here.

just a thought, anyone pompous enough to start a thread about being able to ignore certain members trully deserves to be ignored. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 20 2007, 03:56 AM)
just a thought, anyone pompous enough to start a thread about being able to ignore certain members trully deserves to be ignored. yes.gif

You totally missed the point of why I was asking about this feature. It was never my intention to ignore any of the regular members on this board but rather the trolls that seem to pop up on message boards every summer. Kids who are bored with nothing better to do than start fights and post spam type stuff on message boards. At another site I used to frequent, this was a huge problem and the admin would basically ignore the problem so it was easier to use the ignore feature. I've said this since the beginning of the thread. I apologize if I am offending anyone here because I really like everyone on this message board.

Edited by rushfanNlv

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 20 2007, 07:10 PM)

You totally missed the point of why I was asking about this feature. It was never my intention to ignore any of the regular members on this board but rather the trolls that seem to pop up on message boards every summer. Kids who are bored with nothing better to do than start fights and post spam type stuff on message boards. At another site I used to frequent, this was a huge problem and the admin would basically ignore the problem so it was easier to use the ignore feature. I've said this since the beginning of the thread. I apologize if I am offending anyone here because I really like everyone on this message board.

But the admins can't ignore it, because their job is to do just the opposite.

If someone at your workplace is mouthing off to all the others, the directors don't just ignore what is happening, they have a duty to act, so the admins can't ignore.

If a 'troll' comes on here (usually with a new member name), how can you choose to ignore someone that you don't even know you need to ignore? Often they go away pretty soon anyway, and if they are out to really annoy and realise there is an 'ignore' feature on here, they just come back and log in as a new member.

Edited by rickyrob

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jul 20 2007, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 20 2007, 07:10 PM)

But the admins can't ignore it, because their job is to do just the opposite.

If someone at your workplace is mouthing off to all the others, the directors don't just ignore what is happening, they have a duty to act, so the admins can't ignore.

If a 'troll' comes on here (usually with a new member name), how can you choose to ignore someone that you don't even know you need to ignore? Often they go away pretty soon anyway, and if they are out to really annoy and realise there is an 'ignore' feature on here, they just come back and log in as a new member.

yeah and sometimes its fun to watch them go down in flames laugh.gif

They are entertainment man!!

Rushfanlv you need to look at the trolls like that yes.gif