Neil's books

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Jul 1 2007, 11:35 AM)
I really want to read Ghost Rider and Roadshow now. Has anyone read them?
I was reading some passages from Roadshow. Neil is an excellent writer.

"Roadshow" was far more interesting to me. More Rushy stuff than "Ghost Rider," which was full of detailed descriptions of fauna, rock formations, birds, and the histories of small insignificant towns. schla03.gif

I've read them all except for the first ("Masked Rider"), and "Traveling Music" is my favorite. It's got the most biographical information about Neil and the band.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 1 2007, 10:39 AM)
the histories of small insignificant towns. schla03.gif

Typical big city attitude.

Boo hiss!

Ghost Rider is a complex book. It is the kind of book that is very difficult to read (you have to be very patient and persistent to finish reading it) but once you've finished, you start believing that it was worth reading.

All those long letters about little places becomes very boring sometimes, but the way he deals with psychological problems due the lost of his daughter and partner are inspiring. However you'll only fully understand this psychological aspect by reading all the boring letters.. hehe.

Roadshow is a completely different book. It doesn't have any bigger goal than describing the life on the road at the point of view of a rockstar. In fact, it is a little dissapointing because tour are always more exciting for fans than for the musicians themselves. However it is still very exciting to get in touch with so much backstage information. It's the link of book tht makes you proud for being a fan of a band which the drummer is also a good writer.

I've read Traveling Music, and loved it!! I want to read all of them, when I have the extra $$ to purchase them.

I've just read Ghost Rider, and really enjoyed it. Even the bits about the birds, scenery and small towns! It was moving and amusing (specifically Gaia, and the raccoons) by turns, and further reinforced my (positive)impression of Neil as being intelligent, complex and self-aware.

Roadshow next....

I read Ghost Rider shortly after it came out and was a little surpised as to how much of his personal feelings Neil put into it. It was pretty candid.

I got Roadshow and Traveling Music for Christmas. Finished Roadshow and loved it.

Now, on to Traveling Music....

I have read 3/4 of Neil's books. I'm basically going backwards chronologically. I have loved them all in different ways. wub.gif

I started out with Roadshow. It really opened my eyes to the wonders of traveling. It first made me think of Steinbeck's Travels with Charley in Search of America (as all Neil's books have so far) in the general idea of traveling cross country through out of the way places...

Next I read Traveling Music, which I thought was a great pseudo-exercise in rock criticism echoing my own aesthetics... especially his thoughts on The Beatles and my other two loves: The Who and The Beach Boys. It was also nice to read more about his past.

I felt Ghost Writer was more of a narrative with character development from despair to hope that resolved into a real life happy ending of sorts--truely real because of the great pain that transpired beforehand. (If that makes sense?)

It's refreshing to read works like Neil's that are intelligently and creatively written with extensive knowledge of and zest for nature, music and literature. I think Neil has successfully transitioned his lyrical prowess into non-fiction travel writing! I'm stuck in the past--I mainly read classic literature, so it was a pleasantly surprising breath of fresh air to read something more current!

Now, I just have to get The Masked Rider! bolt.gif

Sorry, I'm a nerd. tongue.gif

Read "Road Show" & "Traveling Music" over the holidays. They were a good read. I'm working on "Ghost Rider" now...it's OK, and I still have "The Masked Rider" to go.

I got "Ghost Rider" in Hardcover for Christmas, and I've been pciking at it a good bit. Really enjoying it so far! The beginning really gets you, and even the travel parts are fairly interesting.

C'Mon, it's not going up against Lord of the Ring's or anything, alot of journal style entries etc, that's what you get out of it, and then some narrative sections and back and forth!

I like it.

I've read Travelling Music (the RUSH parts twice).

The stuff about Neils youth and moving to England and then joining the band is AWESOME...It is a great and detailed account of his early life. I love that he, of the three has volunteered so much about himself. The other stuff was good too, but nothing I'd read again.

The Masked Rider is almost unreadable to me...NOTHING about RUSH!!!!

If you are interested in African travel by bike...you'll love it...I found it to be a boring complain fest. There are a few good/interesting parts, but they are few and far between and pretty short at that.

Haven't read the other two.

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Feb 3 2008, 01:13 PM)

The stuff about Neils youth and moving to England and then joining the band is AWESOME...It is a great and detailed account of his early life. I love that he, of the three has volunteered so much about himself. The other stuff was good too, but nothing I'd read again.

If you are interested in African travel by bike...you'll love it...I found it to be a boring complain fest. There are a few good/interesting parts, but they are few and far between and pretty short at that.

I disagree about Masked Rider. Neil is an excellent writer and I enjoyed it just as much without a lot of "Rushy" stuff in it.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 4 2008, 11:16 AM)

I disagree about Masked Rider. Neil is an excellent writer and I enjoyed it just as much without a lot of "Rushy" stuff in it.

I'm with him. The travelogue stuff, the descriptions of rocks and plant life, the histories of small towns... schla03.gif

I want biographical information about Neil and the band. For that, "Traveling Music" and "Roadshow" are the two best books. "Traveling Music" in particular, where he not only tells us about his time living in London, but also expands on the material from his newspaper essay "A Port Boy's Story," which told us about his youth.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 4 2008, 10:38 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 4 2008, 11:16 AM)

I'm with him. The travelogue stuff, the descriptions of rocks and plant life, the histories of small towns... schla03.gif

I want biographical information about Neil and the band. For that, "Traveling Music" and "Roadshow" are the two best books. "Traveling Music" in particular, where he not only tells us about his time living in London, but also expands on the material from his newspaper essay "A Port Boy's Story," which told us about his youth.

Well, pooey on both of you then.

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Of course, they are travel books. I just wish there was less travel and more Rush! tongue.gif

I'm on chapter 7 of Ghost Rider. I am enjoying the read. Neil is quite candid about a very difficult time in his life, and I appreciate the little facts about some of the towns he visits.

If I ever hit the lottery eyesre4.gif , I am going to take a few months off and trace his journey. (except I am going to do it in a Hummer with my girl)

I just finished reading three of his books, ending with Roadshow. Good way to stay out of trouble for a month. Really, though, the guy is an awesome writer. Interesting for a guy who is such an introvert can give everyone a detailed look at his life.

I just finished Traveling Music yesterday. I found it just OK. Again, I loved the biographical stuff and his take on different music. However, I got really annoyed by the form of the book, because it was disjointed IMO. At first, I understood that the Verses and Choruses were different (one more "present" than the other, I forget which was which) but by the end, it seemed to lose that and neither a "verse" or "chorus" seemed separate enough from each other. He also repeated himself a few times (i.e. "Yes, I know Brutus is banned from entering the U.S!")

Roadshow is my favorite by far.