whcih song is geddy lee's voice the highest

walrickenbacker2112

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Jun 25 2007, 01:09 PM)
The last chorus of Marathon. that is hella high up.

Yeah, like most of you I (try and) sing in the car along with Geddy.

I could never hit that bit in Marathon.

But I think the Free Will part is even higher.

I don't think Cygnus peaks as high, but sustains at quite a level throughout.

QUOTE (rushbass @ Jun 25 2007, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 25 2007, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (Larks @ Jun 25 2007, 08:04 PM)
Cygnus x-1

Every nerve is.... Torn aparttttttttttttttttttttttt

yes.gif

That's the one...

Never mind what I said before. Just listened to Free Will and Cygnus again and I have to concur. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Somebody should actually measure this. Scientifically.

Hmm, that one part in Anthem is pretty high...or maybe it's just really ferocious..."wonders of the world they wrrrrooooooOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

QUOTE (I Get High On You @ Jun 27 2007, 04:44 PM)
Somebody should actually measure this. Scientifically.

Hmm, that one part in Anthem is pretty high...or maybe it's just really ferocious..."wonders of the world they wrrrrooooooOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That is a high one... especially on the live bootleg "Black Forest"... he went higher than the studio album that night! ohmy.gif

Finding My Way. How in the name of God did he ever sing like that and not injure himself?

GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

ill have to go with the part towards the end of Cygnus.

I remember trying to figure this out years ago.....sat with my guitar and tried to figure out the notes to see how high they were....if I remember correctly, I think the highest one I could find was the word "light" when Geddy sings:

"Flew into the LIGHT OF DENON"

I'm pretty sure that was the highest....even higher than Freewill....

"spinning whirling still descending like a spiral sea unending!"

"sound and fury drowns my heart every nerve is torn apaaaartttttt"

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jun 24 2007, 07:33 PM)
The bridge part in 'Freewill'. Easily.

Agree with you on this one.

Doesn't make sense that in another thread people seem to think he couldn't do Fly By Night anymore live because of the range when he still does Freewill very well.

QUOTE (Larks @ Jun 26 2007, 01:04 AM)
Cygnus x-1

Every nerve is.... Torn aparttttttttttttttttttttttt

Still remember first time i heard that wow yes.gif yes i think that must be one of the highest notes hit biggrin.gif Always used to think breadfan by budgie was higher biggrin.gif

The section in "Freewill" right after the guitar solo/instrumental section is definitely the highest part in any song that he'll still dare to sing in the original key (and he NAILED IT at the St. Paul show last week!) but I'd guess that there's stuff from the earlier albums that must have been higher -- at least, higher overall. I notice that when they play "2112" these days they do it in a different key.

I also noticed they are playing "Circumstances" in a lower key on this tour -- I could tell the moment I heard it, of course, but I also noticed that Geddy was playing his red bass and Alex was playing his black guitar... telltale signs that they're playing in a lowered key.

But again, I think the impetus for playing in a lower key is that OVERALL the song's key is too high for him to sing in at a sustained level. It's one thing to belt out 4 measures really high (as in "Freewill") but if he had to sing an entire song in that range, or even slightly lower, it would be too much for him.