Randy Johnson

Pags

Well Yankees are going to lose next year http://www.therushforum.net/html/emoticons/yes.gif http://www.therushforum.net/html/emoticons/trink39.gif

Should you guys really be up in arms about the Yankees right now? I just see them gutting their farm system time and time again. They couldn't get this deal done earlier because they have no prospects to give up. Only four or five guys remain from the championship years. When the Yankees won championships, they did it with a lot of home grown players. Their big advantage was that they could keep their home grown players, unlike Oakland. (I still think the real tragedy of those championship teams was that Mattingly didn't get to play on any of them.) The Yankees restocked the farm system when George was in exile from baseball. Now that he's back, it's a bit different. They have nobody to call up. They have to go out and sign people or make more trades that mortgage the future of the club. The late 80's could be back again sooner than you think. There's no guarantee that the Big Unit will keep it up at his age. With older pitchers, you always run the risk that their last good year already happened. The Yankees are on the ropes, but few people see it. They have a number of marqee players, but the pitching staff is very suspect. If anything happens to Mariano Rivera, they are doomed. He's worth at least 10 wins to that club by himself.

The Dodgers signed off on the deal, so it's up to MLB to approve it. After that, the deal is done. What are the Dodgers thinking with this deal? They seem to have given up the most and gotten the least. The Dodgers' front office is doing some crazy stuff right now. What will this team look like come spring training?

They Yankees once again mortgage the future for the now. Will the Unit hold up, or will age and back problems get the best of him?

I just read today that Giambi will report to spring training as a Yankee. The team has forgiven him, it looks like.

The deal is off now. Unreal. Looks like Vasquez did not want to play for the Dodgers. That killed the deal, supposedly. He refused to go to LA for a physical. And so everyone is back at square one. The Dodgers will have to find a new way to move salary. The D-Backs have to go back to the drawing board, trying to trade the Unit to a team he wants to play for. The Yankees are stuck now. A third team needs to be found to make this deal happen, because the Yankees have no prospects to give, really. Shawn Green does not want to play in LA anymore, and will not re-sign after 2005. Whether or not he makes it back to previous form is another story.

I wish there was a working salary cap in MLB. I understand that New York sells more tickets than almost any team but the smaller citys can't afford to pay as much for a team as big city teams. Some teams just don't have a chance and I wish that would change.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 21 2004, 10:43 PM)
The deal is off now. Unreal. Looks like Vasquez did not want to play for the Dodgers. That killed the deal, supposedly. He refused to go to LA for a physical.

Does Vasquez have the right to do that? I can't see how, unless he has a no-trade clause.

I don't think he does, but does a team really want someone who clearly doesn't want them? Vasquez was about the only value the Dodgers were getting out of th deal. As for Yankee money, most of it is derived from an incredibly sweeet TV contract that no other team has. The Cubs and Braves have their own TV station, basically, though. The Dodgers did until Fox sold them.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 22 2004, 01:17 AM)
I wish there was a working salary cap in MLB. I understand that New York sells more tickets than almost any team but the smaller citys can't afford to pay as much for a team as big city teams. Some teams just don't have a chance and I wish that would change.

Same here. It would be nice to see teams other than New York and Boston winning every year. It would make the game so much more enjoyable.

The concept of the advantage of the big market team is overblown. Before the Red Sox this year, the last three winners were Arizona, Anaheim, and Florida. The Yankee teams that won prior to that won with a strong home grown nucleus, not with a bunch of high priced mercenaries. Big market teams will win sometimes, and they are going to have the advantage of being able to keep their good players more often. It does not guarantee that they will have a good farm system. Free agency is always fraught with risk. It does not guarantee results. And not everybody can handle playing in New York.

Salary caps aren't necessarily the solution. Most owners cry poor. I see it in Chicago from both teams constantly. And they're far from being poor. Some teams really don't have money, but they're far and few between. Owners want caps because it would save them a ton of money. It's basically legalized collusion to have salary caps. I highly recommend the book Moneyball. That book talks about how the A's are able to compete on a shoestring budget.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 22 2004, 11:34 AM)
The concept of the advantage of the big market team is overblown. Before the Red Sox this year, the last three winners were Arizona, Anaheim, and Florida. The Yankee teams that won prior to that won with a strong home grown nucleus, not with a bunch of high priced mercenaries.

goodpost.gif

Thanks, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1.

Looks like the deal is done, and only needs Selig's approval. The Yankees get Johnson, and the D-Backs get Vasquez, three prospects, and about $9 million in cash. The cash part is why the deal needs Selig's approval. Vasquez still has upside. Not everybody works out in New York. It's a tough place to play, and the fans are merciless when you have a bad stretch. Even Jeter got booed last year when he had that one 0-30 slump. I read that the Yankees even plan to extend Johnson's contract for two more years at $15 million per year. That's unreal considering Johnson's age. When players get over 40, you don't know when that last good season is (or was).

This could be the beginning of the end for the Yankees, or it could be the thing that puts them over the top for '05. The farm system is completely gutted now. The mercenaries in place need to work out, or they're screwed. And if Mariano starts slowing down, all bets are off. He's worth more to that team than most people think. He's probably the best closer in the history of the game, and if his effectiveness starts lessening, we'll all know it, and the Yankees will not win 100 games if he's not what he has been for many years now. And you can forget the playoffs, because that's where Rivera was at his absolute best.

Presto, you never know about the older guys. I remeber when all of a sudden, Steve Carlton completely lost it. It was very sad to see him hang around too long, trying to get it back. Just beware of the risk when drafting him early in the fantasy league next year, if you play in one. The Yanks are nuts to give himt that kind of money for two more years. They are definitely going along by the seat of their pants when it comes to assembling a pitching staff.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 22 2004, 11:34 AM)
The concept of the advantage of the big market team is overblown.  Before the Red Sox this year, the last three winners were Arizona, Anaheim, and Florida.  The Yankee teams that won prior to that won with a strong home grown nucleus, not with a bunch of high priced mercenaries.  Big market teams will win sometimes, and they are going to have the advantage of being able to keep their good players more often.  It does not guarantee that they will have a good farm system.  Free agency is always fraught with risk.  It does not guarantee results.  And not everybody can handle playing in New York. 

Nah, you can't look at three years and say it doesn't make a difference. The Yankees don't win EVERY year but if you look back over the past 100 years you will notice they WON at LEAST 1 out of every 3 world series. Big market teams DOMINATE. Sure there are teams like Arizona that wins here and there but NOBODY I mean NOBODY even comes CLOSE to what the YANKEES have done in the last 100 years. Not even close. Money makes a BIG difference, it doesn't automaticly win the world series or anything but at least most big city teams are having great seasons when teams like the brewers or pirates suck for years and years because they can't get enough support (money). That's a fact, nothing anyone can say will change this and looking back over three years doesn't prove jack shit. Smaller city teams have to win every now and then or a lot of people would lose interest in baseball, that's why they do every now and then.

Archived