Mostly Autumn

The Owl

I have discoverd a great band and their name is Mostly Autumn.

I first heard of them from a behind Pink Floyd dvd where the Members of MA disscussed the band and their influence on them. And as a special feature to the DVD Mostly Autumn did a full cover of Floyd's echoes.

But this band is freakin fantastic, and their Floyd influence is definate, but with their own unique flavor.

Co-lead singer/Gutiar Brian Josh's singing and playing skills are very remnicent of Dave Gilmour.

The other co-lead singer is Heather Findaly

The only negative thing about this band is that it is very hard to find their stuff here in the U.S, and if you want some of their material you will most likley have to get it imported.

But this is still a great band enjoy this clip of them covering Pink Floyd's Hey You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OerRblzLIcc

QUOTE (whoisrush @ Mar 7 2008, 05:08 AM)
Good call about Mostly Autumn. They've got quite a following over here in England. Have a look on you tube, there's quite a lot of their stuff on there. Try this.Evergreen

It was kinda funny how I discovered them. I am probably one of the few fans over here in the States..

But the way I discovered them was through a Pink Floyd (1967-1973) Retrospecive Documentary. The members of mostly autumn were interviewed for the documentary, and as a special feature for the DVD they did a cover of "Echoes".

I really enjoy the band, and I enjoy the Heather Finlay vocals as well. The only thing that sucks is that you cannot find their albums over here, you usually have to go through imports.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Apr 7 2009, 09:21 AM)
Heather Findlay is featured on Ayeron's "The Human Equation". That's how I got into MA.

I need to check that album out... I didn't know she was a guest.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 7 2009, 05:45 PM)
Heather Findlay is featured on Ayeron's "The Human Equation". That's how I got into MA.

I think you might find something you like. It's the best Ayreon album IMHO. Features also Micheal Akerfeldt, James LaBrie, Devin Townsend and a ton of others.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Apr 7 2009, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 7 2009, 05:45 PM)

I think you might find something you like. It's the best Ayreon album IMHO. Features also Micheal Akerfeldt, James LaBrie, Devin Townsend and a ton of others.

The Only Ayeron album I have is "Into the Electric Castle"... But I will definatly pick this one up as well.

Heather Findlay is a great vocalist.... I love her vocals with MA songs.

QUOTE (whoisrush @ Mar 7 2008, 06:08 AM)
Good call about Mostly Autumn. They've got quite a following over here in England. Have a look on you tube, there's quite a lot of their stuff on there. Try this.Evergreen

This one's a bit better....good vocals at the beginning.

I'd have to be in the mood to listen to them, but again, this is quality music.

It was announced earlier in the year that Heather Findlay would be leaving Mostly Autumn and her final appearance with the band would be a gig on April 2nd 2010.

I went to that show and I have to say that it was superb. Almost three hours and a lot of fans reckon that it was the best show they had ever played. It was also filmed so there should be a dvd available at som point in the future.

Some have commented about Heather's voice and I must admit sometimes the songs do not suit her voice and vice versa, but have a look at this clip and I think you will agree she has a stunning voice. She is very Karen Carpenter-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXn4QQyJ5xw&feature=related

Yeah, I heard about HF leaving...... it sucks...but I hope she moves to better things....... Brian Josh is a great vocalist, I'll miss HF though.

Looking forward to that DVD, hopefully I will be able to get it here in the US, but I'll probably have to pay alot of extra money for an import...

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 23 2010, 07:36 AM)
Getting into these guys. Very good indeed.

Yes, they are awesome....... Brian Josh is f***ing Dave Gilmour reborn.

Mostly Autumn's new record "Go Well Diamond Heart" is out later this month.... and once again gonna have to get this through an import through Amazon, not too much of a bother, I just wish they'd get an American Distributor....

Really interested in listening them without Heather Findlay... gonna miss her vocals...

This band needs to be checked out more by the people here on TRF....

QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 3 2010, 02:54 PM)
Mostly Autumn's new record "Go Well Diamond Heart" is out later this month.... and once again gonna have to get this through an import through Amazon, not too much of a bother, I just wish they'd get an American Distributor....

Really interested in listening them without Heather Findlay... gonna miss her vocals...

Classic Rock Presents Prog reckons they've "delivered the album of their career".

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 3 2010, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 3 2010, 02:54 PM)

Classic Rock Presents Prog reckons they've "delivered the album of their career".

I need to pick up that copy, Sounds intriguing... can't wait to hear the album.

The final gig that Heather played with Mostly Autumn has recently been released on dvd. It is called 'That Night in Leamington' and is available via the Mostly Autumn website.

Considering it was shot on only 3 cameras it is a superb account of what was a brilliant show. Also, about 100 copies were signed by Heather before being shipped out and I got one of them.

If you like Mostly Autumn I would definitely recommend it.

Mostly Autumn records

QUOTE (whoisrush @ Nov 3 2010, 06:58 PM)
The final gig that Heather played with Mostly Autumn has recently been released on dvd. It is called 'That Night in Leamington' and is available via the Mostly Autumn website.

Considering it was shot on only 3 cameras it is a superb account of what was a brilliant show. Also, about 100 copies were signed by Heather before being shipped out and I got one of them.

If you like Mostly Autumn I would definitely recommend it.

Mostly Autumn records

I would like this, but I am weary of ordering DVDs imported........ I am not too sure of the whole regionalized setup with the DVD

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 14 2010, 07:31 AM)
Did you get the new album, Owl?

It's very good. Very melodic. That ape for hire Troy Donockley farts a few uileann pipes and whistles around the place, unnecessary. And lyrically, it's bloody awful. But the tunes are there.

Not yet, as I live in the states gonna have to order it through amazon... I'll get that pretty soon.

Archived