Wal-Mart news

barney_rebel

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Nov 18 2005, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 18 2005, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Nov 18 2005, 01:37 PM)
The film "WalMart:  The High Cost Of Low Price" is being shown tomorrow here.  I may go see it.  This town passed a Big Box Ordinance that forced them to locate in the next town over years ago.

WalMart is a big issue here right now.  They want to close their two stores in the area and open SuperCenters.  There is huge resistance on the part of the public, and the two city councils affected have both rejected Walmart's plans.  Of course, they appealed to the state Land Use Board Of Appeals.  It's an ongoing struggle.

I want to see that movie so bad... I heard it was excellent.

I'll post about it, if I go.

Yes please do.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

125 Illegal Workers Found at Wal-Mart Site

SCRANTON, Pa.

An immigration raid at a Wal-Mart distribution center under construction led to the arrests of 125 illegal workers, all of whom will be deported, federal officials said Friday.

The workers from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico were detained Thursday at the construction site in eastern Pennsylvania, according to Immigrations and Customs Enforcement. Some of the 125 used fake documents to obtain employment with subcontractors, officials said.

The arrests came after search warrants were executed for six companies at the site outside Pottsville, about 80 miles northwest of Philadelphia.

"Employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens, and those who utilize false documents to gain employment, face significant criminal and administrative charges," John Kelleghan, acting special agent-in- charge for ICE in Pennsylvania, said in a statement.

Agents obtained the search warrants after learning that 10 workers employed by Destin Drywall & Paint were using Social Security numbers that did not match their names. Another three used Social Security numbers that were never issued by the government, according to an affidavit unsealed Friday at U.S. District Court in Scranton.

Houston-based Destin has worked on Wal-Mart projects around the country, according to office manager Cindy Wyman. She said the company verifies that employees are permitted to work in the United States.

"As far as I know, their Social Security numbers are good," Wyman said of the Pennsylvania workers.

A Wal-Mart spokesman has said the detained workers were not employed by Wal-Mart but by the subcontractors. Wal-Mart's contracts with the companies require that they follow local, state and federal employment laws, the company said.

The Pennsylvania job site remains shut down, Wal-Mart spokesman Marty Heires said Friday. He did not know when construction would resume.

Last month, Wal-Mart shut down work on seven stores under construction in North Dakota to check for illegal aliens after two illegal immigrants working on Wal-Mart projects in Bismarck were charged with molesting two 13-year-old girls. Charges against one of the suspects were dropped after authorities found out he was a juvenile.

In 2003, a raid of 60 Wal-Mart stores in 21 states led to the arrests of 245 illegal workers. An affidavit claimed a pair of senior Wal-Mart executives knew cleaning contractors were hiring illegal immigrants. The retailer agreed to pay $11 million in March to settle the case but denied senior executives knew of the hirings.

WHOA!!! That's five blocks away from my house. COOL. Well... not cool, but you know what i mean. My town mentioned in TRF is really cool. We have a huge illegal immigrant problem here. The site they speak of is going to be a madhouse. It's right on the main drag of the city and it borders Scranton and Taylor. It's a two lane street and across from the upcoming wal-mart is already a Price Chopper Super Store. We have no idea where the traffic is going to go at this glut. It's going to be insane. I'll be directly between TWO Wal-Marts. In both dierections from my house. It's nuts. Well... it's a bad story, but still cool to have my town mentioned in TRF. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

But if what i heard is true, didn't TRF have a sort of birth at the Scranton show? That's much cooler.

2.gif

QUOTE (Barney's Alter @ Nov 18 2005, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Nov 18 2005, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 18 2005, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Nov 18 2005, 01:37 PM)
The film "WalMart:  The High Cost Of Low Price" is being shown tomorrow here.  I may go see it.  This town passed a Big Box Ordinance that forced them to locate in the next town over years ago.

WalMart is a big issue here right now.  They want to close their two stores in the area and open SuperCenters.  There is huge resistance on the part of the public, and the two city councils affected have both rejected Walmart's plans.  Of course, they appealed to the state Land Use Board Of Appeals.  It's an ongoing struggle.

I want to see that movie so bad... I heard it was excellent.

I'll post about it, if I go.

Yes please do.

Well, I missed it, but it's showing again on Dec 1 and I'm detemined to go. Here is an interesting article about it.

Wal-Mart In Court Fight Over 'Wal-ocaust' T-Shirts

ATLANTA -- A Georgia man has filed a lawsuit against Wal-Mart in federal district court in Atlanta in a fight over his T-shirts that compare the retailer's business practices to the Holocaust.

Charles Smith has been marketing shirts that read, "I (heart) Wal-ocaust" T-shirts. Wal-Mart filed a cease-and-desist order in an attempt to make him stop printing the shirts.

The company said Smith is engaging in trademark infringement. It has threatened to sue Smith if he continues to display the logos on his Web site and to print them on his products.

The 48-year-old Smith is a computer repairman and said he has no deep connection to the company. But he claims using the logos is a free speech issue.

Smith said he came up with his anti-Wal-Mart logo after conversations with a customer and an employee who both had bad experiences with the retailer.

He designed his first logo in July. One shirt -- with "Wal-ocaust" printed above an eagle and a smiley face sold on Nov. 16 and netted Smith $5.10.

He said if the court sides with him, he will use any profits to pay his legal fees and for continued production of the products.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Sarah Clark said Smith is infringing on the company's trademark and also "making an offensive association between Wal-Mart and one of the greatest tragedies of the past century."

http://www.walocaust.com/site/files/walocaust_eagle.jpghttp://www.walocaust.com/site/files/iheart.jpg

http://www.walocaust.com/site/files/knifefight.jpg

http://www.wftv.com/money/7813452/detail.h...=orlc&psp=money

Wal-Mart In Court Fight Over 'Wal-ocaust' T-Shirts

POSTED: 11:55 am EST March 8, 2006

ATLANTA -- A Georgia man has filed a lawsuit against Wal-Mart in federal district court in Atlanta in a fight over his T-shirts that compare the retailer's business practices to the Holocaust.

Charles Smith has been marketing shirts that read, "I (heart) Wal-ocaust" T-shirts. Wal-Mart filed a cease-and-desist order in an attempt to make him stop printing the shirts.

The company said Smith is engaging in trademark infringement. It has threatened to sue Smith if he continues to display the logos on his Web site and to print them on his products.

The 48-year-old Smith is a computer repairman and said he has no deep connection to the company. But he claims using the logos is a free speech issue.

Smith said he came up with his anti-Wal-Mart logo after conversations with a customer and an employee who both had bad experiences with the retailer.

He designed his first logo in July. One shirt -- with "Wal-ocaust" printed above an eagle and a smiley face sold on Nov. 16 and netted Smith $5.10.

He said if the court sides with him, he will use any profits to pay his legal fees and for continued production of the products.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Sarah Clark said Smith is infringing on the company's trademark and also "making an offensive association between Wal-Mart and one of the greatest tragedies of the past century."

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 13 2004, 12:22 PM)
I love Wal-Mart. It's close and it's cheap. Win-win.

Agreed, Wal-Mart is an excellent store. My local Wal-Mart has been wanting to expand to a Super Wal-Mart complete with grocery store and Liquor Store; city hall has been holding them up.

I really wish Local Government would stay out of it.

I'm pretty sure that if it was just the defamation issue, the company would not be able to make the guy stop and the court would side with him. However, if he is using any part of the company's trademark, the court will side with the company.

There was a guy who was doing something similar with Starbucks, using an image that was very similar to the mermaid logo with the words 'Consumer Whore.'

http://www.illegal-art.org/print/images/dwyerlogo-small.gif

He was selling shirts, cups, and mouse pads with his doctored logo. Starbucks tried to get him to stop, citing defamation and trademark infringement. The court said that the guy was allowed to make and display the image, which was classified as free speech. However, he could not sell products with and profit from the image as that was classified as trademark infringement.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Mar 9 2006, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 13 2004, 12:22 PM)
I love Wal-Mart. It's close and it's cheap. Win-win.

Agreed, Wal-Mart is an excellent store. My local Wal-Mart has been wanting to expand to a Super Wal-Mart complete with grocery store and Liquor Store; city hall has been holding them up.

I really wish Local Government would stay out of it.

The reason local government gets involved is because local businesses, who influence the local goverment, don't want stores like Wal Mart around. They can't compete with the low prices, so they try to keep the stores away.

A similar issue has been happening in Redmond, Oregon for the past few years. I'm sure it's happening in other locations all over the country.

Thats the reason you dont see Walmarts in any kind of close proximity to a major city, because they have found thier niche at moving into small towns and being able to supply everything for everyone. Sure this may be great for you as the consumer, but what it really hurts is all the local business's that have to close shop because all of their customers are shopping at a Walmart. This becomes an extremely unhealthy thing for competitive business in small towns. New businesses will find it much more difficult to start up and hold on to a customer base as Walmart continues to grow bigger and bigger.

Unless you like the idea of one giant mother corperation supplying you with all your daily necessities and having total control over what you can and cant own.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Mar 9 2006, 04:02 PM)
The reason local government gets involved is because local businesses, who influence the local goverment, don't want stores like Wal Mart around. They can't compete with the low prices, so they try to keep the stores away.

A similar issue has been happening in Redmond, Oregon for the past few years. I'm sure it's happening in other locations all over the country.

So... we're to penalize the successful because the little guy wants a shot?

I've never liked this argument, we're a free market economy.

Edited by KenJennings

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Mar 10 2006, 12:17 AM)

plus with all the competition it just gets too confusing wacko.gif biggrin.gif

jawk jaw dolls now only $4.99 at walmart.

http://www.firebox.com/pic/p731ex12.jpg

http://www.firebox.com/pic/p731ex8.jpg

QUOTE (daveyt @ Mar 10 2006, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Mar 10 2006, 12:17 AM)

plus with all the competition it just gets too confusing wacko.gif biggrin.gif

Competition: K-Mart, Target.

The free Market always balances out in the end.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 10 2006, 01:54 PM)
jawk jaw dolls now only $4.99 at walmart.
http://www.firebox.com/pic/p731ex12.jpg
http://www.firebox.com/pic/p731ex8.jpg

Ironically, all are also available at Target, exept Target, who is available at K-Mart.

Wal-Mart puts the squeeze on vendors

P&G, Clorox and other big consumer products firms take a hit as the world's largest retailer cuts back inventories.

By Parija Bhatnagar, CNNMoney.com staff writer

April 10, 2006: 3:24 PM EDT

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/10/news/companies/walmart_vendors/walmart_products.gif

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - When Wal-Mart sneezes, everybody catches a cold, and now some of America's biggest consumer products companies are at risk of getting sick as the world's largest retailer moves to cut back inventories this year.

The discount retailer is already credited with having one of the best inventory management systems in the business as it tries to keep goods flowing to its 3,800 Wal-Mart stores in the United States.

But Wal-Mart (down $0.44 to $45.58, Research) is hoping that by becoming even leaner and ordering "just in time" to meet its merchandise needs,it can further trim costs associated with carrying excess or unsold inventory and invest the funds in bolstering its marketing and merchandising efforts.

Wal-Mart investors, no doubt, would cheer any efforts to improve the company's slowing sales and profit growth and kick start its stagnant stock price.

But investors in the discounter's suppliers may not be quite so happy. Among the consumer products giants that are taking a hit are Procter & Gamble (Research), Clorox (Research), Playtex (Research) and Spectrum Brands (Research).

That's because some of these vendors have significant sales exposure to Wal-Mart.

A recent note from Goldman Sachs identified not only P&G, Clorox and Playtex, but Kellogg's (Research), Prestige Brands, a maker of health care products, and beverage supplier Cott Corp. as suppliers that face a greater risk from the inventory reductions at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart was Procter & Gamble's largest customer in 2005, accounting for 16 percent of its total sales. But some other consumer goods firms count on Wal-Mart for an even larger chunk of their sales, like Chattem, a maker of hot and cold packs for pain relief that gets more than a third of its sales from the discounter (See chart).

The casualties are already emerging from this group.

In its mid-quarter update to investors earlier last month, Procter & Gamble lowered the high-end of its third-quarter sales growth forecast to an increase of 5 to 6 percent from an earlier 5 to 7 percent range. The company cited "recent customer inventory reductions" as one of the factors dampening its forecast.

Shares of Spectrum Brands tumbled on Friday after the maker of batteries, shaving and personal care productsslashed its second-quarter earnings forecast. The company attributed the shortfall to ongoing challenges in its consumer battery business.

Additionally, the company said that during the second quarter, several of its "largest retail customers implemented or accelerated inventory adjustment initiatives designed to reduce their retail inventory levels, which further impacted sales."

Industry experts say that while Wal-Mart's biggest vendors are likely to experience some short-term pain,vendors and customers could very well benefit in the long term.

"Wal-Mart's strategy all along has been to work closely with its vendors," said Craig Johnson, president of retail consulting group Customer Growth Partners.

"There will be some short-term problems to suppliers as the system adjusts itself but longer-term this will force vendors to become even more efficient in terms of their own manufacturing and shipping processes, and become preferred suppliers not just to Wal-Mart but to other retailers as well."

There could be a big benefit to consumers, too.

"The more costs Wal-Mart can take out of the system, the more it's able to pass a portion of the cost saved on to the customer in the form of lower prices," Johnson said.

Love Goel, CEO of Growth Ventures, an investment firm focused on retailers, agreed.

"The only sustainable competitive advantage for retailers over the next few decades is to build strong customer relationships based on trust and some other value proposition. For Wal-Mart it's price. That's their contract with the customer," Goel said.

He said Wal-Mart may be doing its suppliers a favor by pushing them to become more competitive globally.

"By challenging its suppliers to source and manufacture products more efficiently and improve their own inventory and replenishing systems, Wal-Mart is also helping these companies to eventually compete more effectively with other global suppliers who's prices are even lower than theirs," he said.

---------------------

Find this article at:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/10/news/compa...ndors/index.htm

WAL-MART APPLICATION

This is an actual job application that a 75 year old senior citizen submitted to Walmart in Arkansas.

They hired him because he was so funny.....

NAME: Kenneth Way (Grumpy Bastard)

SEX: Not lately, but I am looking for the right woman (or at least one who will cooperate)

DESIRED POSITION: Company's President or Vice President. But seriously, whatever's available. If I was in a position to be picky, I wouldn't be applying here in the first place.

DESIRED SALARY: $185,000 a year plus stock options and a Michael Ovitz style severance package. If that's not possible, make an offer and we can haggle.

EDUCATION: Yes.

LAST POSITION HELD:

Target for middle management hostility.

PREVIOUS SALARY: A lot less than I'm worth.

MOST NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENT: My incredible collection of stolen pens and post-it notes.

REASON FOR LEAVING: It sucked.

HOURS AVAILABLE TO WORK: Any.

PREFERRED HOURS: 1:30-3:30 p.m

Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL SKILLS?: Yes, but they're better suited to a more intimate environment.

MAY WE CONTACT YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER?:

If I had one, would I be here?

DO YOU HAVE ANY PHYSICAL CONDITIONS THAT WOULD PROHIBIT YOU FROM LIF TING UP TO 50 lbs.?: Of what?

DO YOU HAVE A! CAR?: I think the more appropriate question here would be "Do you have a car that runs?"

HAVE YOU RECEIVED ANY SPECIAL AWARDS OR RECOGNITION?: I may already be a winner of the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes, so they tell me.

DO YOU SMOKE?: On the job - no!

On my breaks - yes!

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE DOING IN FIVE YEARS?: Living in the Bahamas with a fabulously wealthy dumb sexy blonde supermodel who thinks I'm t he greatest thing since sliced bread.

Actually, I'd like to be doing that now.

NEAREST RELATIVE....7 miles

DO YOU CERTIFY THAT THE ABOVE IS TRUE AND COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE?: Oh yes, absolutely.

***Old People Rock! ***

QUOTE (sundog @ Apr 26 2006, 08:41 AM)
WAL-MART APPLICATION
This is an actual job application that a 75 year old senior citizen submitted to Walmart in Arkansas.

SEX: Not lately, but I am looking for the right woman (or at least one who will cooperate)

DESIRED POSITION: Company's President or Vice President. But seriously, whatever's available. If I was in a position to be picky, I wouldn't be applying here in the first place.

DESIRED SALARY: $185,000 a year plus stock options and a Michael Ovitz style severance package. If that's not possible, make an offer and we can haggle.

LAST POSITION HELD:

MOST NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENT: My incredible collection of stolen pens and post-it notes.

DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL SKILLS?: Yes, but they're better suited to a more intimate environment.

DO YOU HAVE ANY PHYSICAL CONDITIONS THAT WOULD PROHIBIT YOU FROM LIF TING UP TO 50 lbs.?: Of what?

DO YOU HAVE A! CAR?: I think the more appropriate question here would be "Do you have a car that runs?"

HAVE YOU RECEIVED ANY SPECIAL AWARDS OR RECOGNITION?: I may already be a winner of the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes, so they tell me.

On my breaks - yes!

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE DOING IN FIVE YEARS?: Living in the Bahamas with a fabulously wealthy dumb sexy blonde supermodel who thinks I'm t he greatest thing since sliced bread.

DO YOU CERTIFY THAT THE ABOVE IS TRUE AND COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE?: Oh yes, absolutely.

***Old People Rock! ***

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Considering My mother-in-law used to be a assistant manager at walmart... she just got her twenty year pin cheer.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Apr 26 2006, 05:41 AM)
WAL-MART APPLICATION

LAST POSITION HELD:

On my breaks - yes!

***Old People Rock! ***

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif