The Mars Volta

Lerxst2112

I know most of you Rushians know who The Mars Volta are, but for those who don't. The Mars Volta is a Prog Rock band with a fusion of Jazz, Punk, and Latin music.

They were the birth child of the band of At The Drive-In which included The Mars Volta guitarist Omar Rodriguez and vocalist Cedric Bixler-Zavala. The Mars Volta are very bombastic and loud, however they make it work very beautifully.

I have De-Loused, Frances, Amputechture, Scab Dates, String Quartet Tribute, Tremulant, and a bootleg set of theirs when they were at Bonnaroo '05.

I agree Deadwing, Frances The Mute is my favorite as well. However, I really enjoy the white noise bits, especially in "The Widow". I'm not fond of the beginning of "Miranda..." though because the frog chanting goes on for too long there. Otherwise, it's an amazing, original, and unique album.

It's good. Not really any huge departure for them, but it's solid. If you like their other stuff, it's worth picking up.

The high points aren't quite as high as Frances, but there are no draggy white noise bits either.

Edited by PuppetKing2112

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Jun 2 2007, 08:11 PM)
I have Deloused and just got Frances, so far I think these guys are my favorite modern band, definitly one of the most unique groups out there right now. How's Amputechture?

I agree, TMV is one of these modern bands that has a completely different sound than any other band. These days it seems that most modern music sounds all the same and there isn't any diversity between one band to another. Thats why I love TMV so much, they are so different and make music any way they want, no matter what anyone says. Thats what makes them different and very hard to get a grasp on them. People just don't understand them.

I like Amputechture but at some points, especially on Tetragrammaton and Meccamputechture, I really find Cedric's vocals to be grating. It's just this weird voice that he does, I can't really describe it, it's very annoying. The music is very solid, but the lyrics are just plain weird. They come off as weird for the sake of being weird to me.

Another Mars Volta thread or is it Deja Vu...?

Yes all three studio albums are very good, Deloused is great in fact. The live album is a bit of a mess though, particularly the vocals, but forget about that one, they're a great band...

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jun 2 2007, 06:38 PM)
I like Amputechture but at some points, especially on Tetragrammaton and Meccamputechture, I really find Cedric's vocals to be grating. It's just this weird voice that he does, I can't really describe it, it's very annoying. The music is very solid, but the lyrics are just plain weird. They come off as weird for the sake of being weird to me.

When have their lyrics ever made sense though?

An excellent band no doubt!

They sound like LED ZEPPELIN ON STEROIDS. I guess the "juice" is messing with the lead singer's mind. I can't understand a fokking thing he says but it's alright with me. I am more into the music.

Do you guys like the live album??

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 2 2007, 11:01 PM)
I agree Duck!

It's all over the map. The beginning and the end of the disc sounds like wasted space.

Does not compute.

I've never heard it.....

I quite liked them - got Deloused when it came out. Love Frances the Mute as well (even sought out the title track, which is not on the CD.) Amp... was also good, but a bit of a letdown after the stellar Frances. Jon Theodore is a great drummer.

I also really liked the two they did with Thomas Pridgen on drums - he is such a monster player - Bedlam and Octahedron.

They totally lost me with Noctouniquet. I consider it shite.

They are a strange band that I quite like. But the albums are all over the place from really stellar to quite crappy.

1. Deloused

2. Frances

3.Bedlam

4.Octahedron

5.Amputechture

6. Noctourniquet

I kinda like the new band project a little - Antemasque. Curious what other Volta fans think of that.

great musicians, they've gotten a lot of "hipster" type people to explore prog rock which is cool, can't stand the singing. my favorite out of what I've heard is the bedlam in goliath

I know. Gonna keep trying though, think it's worth the effort with them.

great musicians, they've gotten a lot of "hipster" type people to explore prog rock which is cool, can't stand the singing. my favorite out of what I've heard is the bedlam in goliath

I know. Gonna keep trying though, think it's worth the effort with them.

Definitely a band that takes effort to enjoy. Far from easy-listening.
  • Like 1