Nevermore-

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 1 2009, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (raygun47 @ Nov 23 2008, 10:32 PM)
Love them.  Loomis' record is out and Dane has one too...both great.

Which one is better.......I haven't heard Loomis' yet. Dane's is amazing......

Depends on how you feel about instrumental-only records. If you prefer something with vocals, then Dane's is better, but Loomis' is amazing (w/o vocals). I couldn't say which I like better. They both work towards the strength of that person in the context of Nevermore. Loomis is on Dane's solo...one of the first three songs I think.

I've spent more time with Dane's because I've had it longer. Loomis', to me, is not like other "shredder" type instrumental records. It's more involved...almost as if there is a central theme rather than an excuse to showcase his talent.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 31 2008, 10:48 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 28 2008, 10:03 PM)
Wow, anyone here have Warell Dane's (singer from Nevermore) new solo album? This album is f'n amazing...........!  ohmy.gif

DOH!.......he is the singer from Nightwish! Sorry folks..........

Um, no he isn't the singer from Nightwish. That would be Anette Olzon and Marco Hietala tongue.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 1 2009, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 31 2008, 10:48 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 28 2008, 10:03 PM)
Wow, anyone here have Warell Dane's (singer from Nevermore) new solo album? This album is f'n amazing...........!  ohmy.gif

DOH!.......he is the singer from Nightwish! Sorry folks..........

Um, no he isn't the singer from Nightwish. That would be Anette Olzon and Marco Hietala tongue.gif

Haha, I know........I made a mistake.......and there is no edit button beside that post for some reason........ unsure.gif

:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:

I love Nevermore! I am a bit surprised that more people here don't like them; do people not know about them? I guess you could call them a progressive thrash metal band with clean (non-cookie) vocals. My favourite albums of theirs are Dreaming Neon Black and This Godless Endeavor.

My favourite song of theirs which I can listen to over and over:

• Like 1

Anyhow, I love the guitars, bass, drums, and vocals of this band. I'm quite sad that I didn't really get into the band until after they disbanded, but according to Warrel Dane we may have a new album from them at some point. From http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/warrel-dane-nevermore-is-not-dead/: "No, NEVERMORE is not dead. I have secret plans. ... So don't be surprised if there is a new NEVERMORE record within the next two years."

OH SHIT!!!

There is a Nevermore thread on this forum that I didn't know about it?

Yeah, the thread has been dead for ages but still. I've talked about them plenty of times before here but never once thought to check and see if they had their own thread. I think Union is the only person on the forum that I turned in to a fan. Not sure why this band isn't more popular. If you like traditional sounding metal with great playing and vocals, i'm not sure why you wouldn't like them?

The band never seemed to get the big breaks either. It didn't seem like they ever got on many tours with bigger named bands. That probably hurt them getting more well known. Saw them open for Opeth in 2005 and they killed it. They were my main reason for going to the show. My friend and I gave Opeth a chance but walked out after four or five songs because they were so f'ing boring. Nevermore stole the show and they just couldn't follow them.

Dreaming Neon Black and This Godless Endeavor are definitely my favorite albums from them as well. Progressive thrash is probably the best way to describe them. Although they do have a lot of traditional metal elements as well.

I've read stuff about them coming back at some point but I don't know if Jeff Loomis will be part of it or not? He's playing for Arch Enemy now which is a bit of a higher profile and probably better paying gig than Nevermore. It would be odd to hear them without Loomis since his playing is what helps give them their signature sound.

Hopefully, Warrell is clean and sober. That's what lead to the band going on hiatus in the first place. If he's clean, I think Loomis would be willing to come back without question.

These guys rule, I really want to see a return at some point.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

My guitar player friend (who turned me on to Nevermore in the first place) says the same thing about Loomis - he's the band's signature sound.

I didn't know Warrel had drug/alcohol/whatever problems, but I did get the feeling that he was a bit of a hothead and maybe a little crazy. But hey, that kind of thing can result in good music sometimes :huh:

Is this the band who recorded an album called The Godly Enterprise?

Arg I can't remember...this name rings a bell I loved it so much! I've lost my copy...I remember them touring I think with Opeth...or it was a festival or something and I couldn't go (might have been a different country or too young...nothing is easy to remember haha!).

They also have another record I liked so much.

Nevermore, Novembre, Moonspell, Opeth, Mastodon, I remember loving all these bands around the same time!

This name...I am certain it rings a bell

Nevermore- This Godless Endeavour.

Just checked Google! Yes I loved this band!

I haven't heard of them since about 2005!!!!!!

• Like 2

Arg I can't remember...this name rings a bell I loved it so much! I've lost my copy...I remember them touring I think with Opeth...or it was a festival or something and I couldn't go (might have been a different country or too young...nothing is easy to remember haha!).

Nevermore, Novembre, Moonspell, Opeth, Mastodon, I remember loving all these bands around the same time!

They've got an album called This Godless Endeavor. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of or not

EDIT: That was the album you were thinking of.

Edited by J2112YYZ

They've got an album called This Godless Endeavor. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of or not

Haha yeah sorry I'm reading through this now...yup...you mentioned it!

Funny how you mention they toured with Opeth. Was that a big tour?

I remember seeing it advertised and I saw the name and remember the metal mags raving about it...and I bought it blindly.

Lost it years ago and forgot about it.

Where are they from?

They had one more album after that in 2010 called The Obsidian Conspiracy but they went on their hiatus not too long after that.

They had one more album after that in 2010 called The Obsidian Conspiracy but they went on their hiatus not too long after that.

Oh no wonder they fell off my radar. Not very prolific in that time haha

Yeah I will check them out again

I remember seeing it advertised and I saw the name and remember the metal mags raving about it...and I bought it blindly.

Where are they from?

Nevermore is from Seattle.

Their tour with Opeth was big for them but they toured a ton for that album, so I don't think they capitalized off it properly since it was five years until their next album.

They were also on the first ever Gigantour in 2006. Megadeth and Dream Theater were the headliners for it. It was an all day festival thing and they were lower on the bill though. They kicked ass on that tour as well even thought they only had time for like five songs.

But still, they never seemed to get that huge break in the US. Being a direct support for a full tour with a band like Megadeth, Anthrax or Testament probably would have done wonders for them.

Where are they from?

Their tour with Opeth was big for them but they toured a ton for that album, so I don't think they capitalized off it properly since it was five years until their next album.

They were also on the first ever Gigantour in 2006. Megadeth and Dream Theater were the headliners for it. It was an all day festival thing and they were lower on the bill though. They kicked ass on that tour as well even thought they only had time for like five songs.

But still, they never seemed to get that huge break in the US. Being a direct support for a full tour with a band like Megadeth, Anthrax or Testament probably would have done wonders for them.

Aaaah...if I remember rightly the album had a really good review in Metal Hammer and a song featured on their free CD.

It's eleven years ago...I was 14...hard to remember now haha

Where are they from?

Aaaah...if I remember rightly the album had a really good review in Metal Hammer and a song featured on their free CD.

Oh yeah, This Godless Endeavor got universal praise in the metal world. Don't recall ever hearing anything bad about it.

Not sure how you would feel about them now though given your faith? They do have lyrics that focus on trashing organized religion and questioning the existence of God.

Where are they from?

Oh yeah, This Godless Endeavor got universal praise in the metal world. Don't recall ever hearing anything bad about it.

Not sure how you would feel about them now though given your faith? They do have lyrics that focus on trashing organized religion and questioning the existence of God.

Aaah...back then I didn't care.

Even now, if they are tactful and we'll informed to not be blindly araggont, I can accept it. People are allowed their own views, I won't begrudge them that if they don't mine.

• Like 1

Where are they from?

Even now, if they are tactful and we'll informed to not be blindly araggont, I can accept it. People are allowed their own views, I won't begrudge them that if they don't mine.

I don't think they come off arrogant with their views on the topic. But I might be biased because they have similar views on religion that I do. They don't blindly hate on it, they just question it all.

Where are they from?

I don't think they come off arrogant with their views on the topic. But I might be biased because they have similar views on religion that I do. They don't blindly hate on it, they just question it all.

That really doesn't offend me. Paradise Lost are the same at times.

People can express themselves how they like. Yes I have my preferences and turn offs but even then I don't mean to offend if I turn the band/artist/album away.

Where are they from?

Gigantour 2005 had Nevermore, Symphony X, Dream Theatre, Fear Factory, Anthrax, and Megadeth (plus a few others). Man, if that happened today I would be all over it. Well, except for the fact I hate festivals.

Where are they from?

Gigantour 2005 had Nevermore, Symphony X, Dream Theatre, Fear Factory, Anthrax, and Megadeth (plus a few others). Man, if that happened today I would be all over it. Well, except for the fact I hate festivals.

That's right, it was 2005 I saw that tour not 2006.

Anthrax wasn't on the show that I saw. I wonder when they joined it. Poor Symphony X, they played the side stage that was set up by the concession stands. The venue was an amphitheater and I don't think they knew where to put the second stage. The stage was smaller than the living room in a tiny apartment. The band literally had no room to play. Can't remember who else played that stage. They were the only band I checked out over there.

Nevermore and Fear Factory played the main stage. Even though they are a smaller venue band, Nevermore sounded great through the main sound system. I don't care much for festivals either, they're just too f'ing long. I don't care how great the lineup is and this tour had a fantastic one but too long is too long. At least it was a seated venue so we didn't have to pointlessly stand for hours and hours.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Nevermore and Fear Factory played the main stage. Even though they are a smaller venue band, Nevermore sounded great through the main sound system. I don't care much for festivals either, they're just too f'ing long. I don't care how great the lineup is and this tour had a fantastic one but too long is too long.

Exactly. I'd rather see one or two bands play normal (or extended!) sets than a bunch of bands playing normal or shortened sets.

I've only seen them twice live and neither were headlining shows.

2005 Gigantour set went something like this:

Narcosynthesis

This Sacrament

Final Product

The Fault Of The Flesh

Born

The River Dragon Has Come

Enemies Of Reality

The first and last two songs are definitely correct. The rest may be a little out of order but those are the songs they did.

Later that year in November when I saw them open for Opeth:

Born

My Acid Words

Bittersweet Feast

Never Purify

The River Dragon Has Come

Beyond Within

This Godless Endeavor

Final Product

Enemies Of Reality

Pretty badass for an opening set. They stole the show. The crowd seemed way more into them then Opeth. My friend and I walked out after Opeth's fourth or fifth song since they were so boring and Nevermore was the main reason we went. That isn't a knock on Opeth as musicians at all. They just had no umph or anything to them. It also didn't help that after each tune the singer had to go into story time mode and not shut up for about five minutes before they played the next tune. Shut the f**k up and play, man!

I did have tickets to see Nevermore in 2011 when they were gonna do a co-headlining tour with Symphony X but unfortunately the tour was cancelled because the band decided to go on hiatus before the tour started. I got refunded for the tickets so that's cool.

Even though i've only seen them in support slots, I feel like overall i've gotten a good mix of their catalog seeing them live. That's rare you can say that about an opener.

• Like 1