Hot Stove Baseball

anagramking

Loaiza signs with the Nationals for a year. He was so good that year, and then he woke up the next year. The Sox were smart to trade him for Contreras. Having El Duque might help Contreras get acclimated. But Loaiza looked to be about done. He lost velocity, they say. That can't be good.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rangers have joined the pursuit of Delgado.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...s_mlb&fext=.jsp

It's looking more and more likely that the Cubs are stuck with Sammy Sosa. The talk here more and more is that the front office is trying to figure out a way to ride out the season with him if they can't deal him. Nobody wants to deal wiht the clause that pays Sosa a riduculous sum in '06 if he gets traded now. Sosa will have a lot of fences to mend with the team. I gotta say it's awful hard to root for the Cubs, especially with Sosa in the lineup.

On a more positive note, they're going to retire Ryne Sandberg's number this season.

Delgado has signed with the Marlins.

How much will that stadium affect his numbers? And will he stay healthy this year? In any event, the Marlins offense just got better with this signing. The natural grass surface should be much easier on his knee. (I wish they'd outlaw artificial turf already.)

With this signing, the Cubs can now try in earnest to deal Sosa once again. And Chicago's best right fielder last year, Magglio Ordonez, is still on the market. These two stories are somewhat related. More on Maggs:

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 21 2005, 10:17 PM)
Clemens signs for one year at $18 million. Wow. He turns 43 in August.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1972067

Less than a month until pitchers and catchers report.

Clemens is one hell of a pitcher. Might be the best I have ever seen play.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 26 2005, 04:52 PM)
Clemens is one hell of a pitcher. Might be the best I have ever seen play.

Very hard to argue against that. The only pitcher who comes close in my lifetime is Randy Johnson. I was at the game where the Unit struck out 20 batters in nine innings. Nobody could touch what he was throwing. But still, I have to give the nod to Clemens because he's done it for so long.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 26 2005, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 26 2005, 04:52 PM)
Clemens is one hell of a pitcher.  Might be the best I have ever seen play.

Very hard to argue against that. The only pitcher who comes close in my lifetime is Randy Johnson. I was at the game where the Unit struck out 20 batters in nine innings. Nobody could touch what he was throwing. But still, I have to give the nod to Clemens because he's done it for so long.

Good point. Clemens, Johnson... Just amazing. yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 27 2005, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 27 2005, 06:56 PM)
Good point.  Clemens, Johnson... Just amazing.  yes.gif  trink39.gif

Do you ever wonder what those two would have done had they pitched in 1968?

yes.gif Interesting you should bring that up. I have thought about that, as well as if old player s such as Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle were playing in this day and age. It would be very interesting to see what they could do, and to compare the players of today and in the past. Very good point. trink39.gif

The Tigers have made Magglio Ordonez an offer. Boras will make a couter soon.

The White Sox signed Japanese star Tadahito Iguchi to play second base for them. He is well known for his glove and his speed, but he's a lifetime .270 hitter. I'm not sure how this is going to work out. But I do know that it means that Ken Williams isn't done dealing yet. He's probably trying to deal Willie Harris, a speedster who plays second and center field.

And Nomo has a job next year. He signed with the D-Rays. schla03.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 28 2005, 11:42 AM)
The Tigers have made Magglio Ordonez an offer. Boras will make a couter soon.

The White Sox signed Japanese star Tadahito Iguchi to play second base for them. He is well known for his glove and his speed, but he's a lifetime .270 hitter. I'm not sure how this is going to work out. But I do know that it means that Ken Williams isn't done dealing yet. He's probably trying to deal Willie Harris, a speedster who plays second and center field.

And Nomo has a job next year. He signed with the D-Rays. schla03.gif

Hideo Nomo signs with the D-Rays? I didn't think that guy was still playing. confused13.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 28 2005, 10:22 PM)
Hideo Nomo signs with the D-Rays? I didn't think that guy was still playing. confused13.gif

Can you say "overexpansion?"

Can you say "diluted pitching?"

Can you believe it? The Cubs are going to finally deal Sammy Sosa, to the Baltimore Orioles. Everyone in Chicago knew this had to be done after what had transpired last year. The Cubs get Jerry Hairston and two minor leaguers.

This deal is not finalized, but mlb.com saw fit to report that it was all but done.

If the deal is done, look for the Cubs to pursue Magglio Ordonez. They might be too late, given that the Tigers have established themselves as the front runner for his services next year.

The O's would have two members of the 500 Club on the same team, also.

With football just about over and no hockey this season and the fact that I hate watching basketball...........

COME ON BASEBALL SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though the Pirates will probably suck again like usual and they are just a farm team for the big cities, I still can't wait to watch them play.

QUOTE (Indica @ Jan 29 2005, 05:11 PM)
Even though the Pirates will probably suck again like usual and they are just a farm team for the big cities, I still can't wait to watch them play.

I still want to see a game at their ballpark. It looks really cool, with the Roberto Clemente Bridge in the background. ESPN Magazine rated it the best ballpark in baseball last year. Have you been there, Indy, and what's it like if you have?

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 29 2005, 05:15 PM)

I still want to see a game at their ballpark. It looks really cool, with the Roberto Clemente Bridge in the background. ESPN Magazine rated it the best ballpark in baseball last year. Have you been there, Indy, and what's it like if you have?

I haven't been to a game there yet. I have walked all the way around it and looked inside and it looks nice. I love these new ballparks that are built just for baseball. The parks that have football and baseball usualy suck compared to the ones build just for baseball. I will make it to a game this year for sure though. The all star game in 2006 will be played in at PNC and I plan on going to that if I can get tickets without paying too much.

yes.gif I would love to see a game there. Hopefully I can take a trip up there this summer and watch them play. My dad loved Roberto Clemente as a kid, and I'm sure he would love to go see the Pirates play just for that reason. He has said that he has always wanted to do that, so maybe it will work out for us.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 30 2005, 12:29 AM)

yes.gif I would love to see a game there. Hopefully I can take a trip up there this summer and watch them play. My dad loved Roberto Clemente as a kid, and I'm sure he would love to go see the Pirates play just for that reason. He has said that he has always wanted to do that, so maybe it will work out for us.

I'm baseball fan my whole life!..

Thts why i had to have a

Roberto Clemente card!...

Gil hodges!

Pete Rose!

Pee Wee Reese!

The Duke and Roy C

and of course The Mick!

Different eyes see different things? 2.gif

QUOTE (slacker @ Jan 30 2005, 05:54 AM)
Thts why i had to have a
Gil hodges!
Pete Rose!
Pee Wee Reese!
The Duke and Roy C
and of course The Mick!

Wow, those are some names. Did you and your family stay Dodger fans all these years? I know a guy who grew up in Brooklyn when the Ddogers were still there. He has a framed poster of the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers hanging in his office. One of his prized possessions. I grew up following the Los Angeles version, listening to Vin Scully call games on radio in the dead of summer in Phoenix. Garvey was my favorite player growing up, when I was young and naive about ball players.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 30 2005, 01:43 PM)
  Thts why i had to have a
Gil hodges!
Pete Rose!
Pee Wee Reese!
The Duke and Roy C
and of course The Mick!

Wow, those are some names. Did you and your family stay Dodger fans all these years? I know a guy who grew up in Brooklyn when the Ddogers were still there. He has a framed poster of the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers hanging in his office. One of his prized possessions. I grew up following the Los Angeles version, listening to Vin Scully call games on radio in the dead of summer in Phoenix. Garvey was my favorite player growing up, when I was young and naive about ball players.

I have a Joe Dimaggio jersey card with a blue pinstripe down the middle. Also a Hank Aaron jersey card with a red stripe.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 30 2005, 01:46 PM)
I have a Joe Dimaggio jersey card with a blue pinstripe down the middle. Also a Hank Aaron jersey card with a red stripe.

Wasn't that from a series that only came out for one season in the early 50s? I heard those cards are worth a lot. Red back and blue back, I think they were called.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 30 2005, 01:43 PM)
  Thts why i had to have a
Gil hodges!
Pete Rose!
Pee Wee Reese!
The Duke and Roy C
and of course The Mick!

Sure were Anagramking! My whole childhood i listen to my

father tell stories about the Dodgers and Ebbetts Field..

So being something like a 5th generation Brooklyn native

we were brought up to be national league fans..

The worst part of the Dodgers leaving Bklyn is the fact that we kinda

adopted the Mets..

I still rooted for the dodgers aganist the damm yankees back in the later 70's..

As far as Vinnce Scully ,I loved the sound of his voice during those world series...

But any way thanks for the notice on the old Dodger greats..

be Well bobby trink39.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 31 2005, 12:46 AM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 30 2005, 01:46 PM)
I have a Joe Dimaggio jersey card with a blue pinstripe down the middle.  Also a Hank Aaron jersey card with a red stripe.

Wasn't that from a series that only came out for one season in the early 50s? I heard those cards are worth a lot. Red back and blue back, I think they were called.

Actually, no they are not. The Hank Aaron is from 2001 Upper Deck Legends and the Dimaggio is from 2001 Upper Deck Hall of Famers. Both really nice looking cards, none the less. trink39.gif

All that's left is for the players to pass their physicals for the Sosa deal to be completed. Jay Gibbons will move to first base to make room for Sammy. Palmiero will take turns DHing with Sosa, probably. If Sosa is healthy, the offense should do well.

As for the Cubs, they're close to signing Jeromy Burnitz. He had nice numbers last year, but he had the advantage of playing in Coors Field half the time. Away from Coors, he didn't do so well. The Cubs will regret signing him, I believe. It's been a bad winter for them. They had to trade Sosa, no quesiton. Alou is gone. Clement is gone. They have done very little to fix these holes. Everyone talks about them going after Aubrey Huff, but they say that he's not available until midseason, most likely. They need a closer, also. Had they gotten Jorge Julio in the Sosa deal, that might have helped. The Cubs did get two of the O's top prospects, though. That might pay off down the road, but not now. If the Cubs don't do well this season, Dusty Baker could find himself out of a job. He lobbied hard for the Sosa deal, so it's all on him now. The Cubs will be lucky to win 90 games this year. That won't stop them from selling out every game at Wrigley, though.

Archived