Hot Stove Baseball

anagramking

Padres sent Jay Payton and Ramon Vasquez to the Red Sox for Dave Roberts.

Angels signed Orlando Cabrera for four years at $8 mill a year.

Phillies hired former Tribe skipper Charlie Manuel (not to be confused with Jerry Manuel, former White Sox skipper) to run the club. Anything is an upgrade over Larry Bowa. He was awful. Sad when he had the horses to get the job done but still fell woefully short, getting badly outmanaged by Bobby Cox and Jack McKeon the last two years.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (anagramking @ Dec 21 2004, 01:47 PM)
Padres sent Jay Payton and Ramon Vasquez to the Red Sox for Dave Roberts.

Angels signed Orlando Cabrera for four years at $8 mill a year.

Phillies hired former Tribe skipper Charlie Manuel (not to be confused with Jerry Manuel, former White Sox skipper) to run the club. Anything is an upgrade over Larry Bowa. He was awful. Sad when he had the horses to get the job done but still fell woefully short, getting badly outmanaged by Bobby Cox and Jack McKeon the last two years.

Bowa's too much of a hothead...very overrated...

D-Backs will trade two of the prospects from the Unit deal for Shawn Green. The Dodgers will pick up about half Green's salary. Green did come on during the second half last year. Is he done or does he have life in him still?

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 4 2005, 10:59 PM)
D-Backs will trade two of the prospects from the Unit deal for Shawn Green. The Dodgers will pick up about half Green's salary. Green did come on during the second half last year. Is he done or does he have life in him still?

I think he will be one unhappy camper. He signed with L.A. specifically to play at home.

He seemed willing to play in Phoenix. It's a six to seven hour drive on the I-10. He was very disappointed when the Ddogers tried to deal him before, and didn't want to be there anymore.

I just read that the Shawn Green deal is falling through. The D-Backs couldn't negotiate an extension with Green in the 48 hour window the Dodgers gave them.

The Tribe is set to sign Kevin Millwood. They're also offering Juan Gonzales a minor league contract. Will he ever get his act together?

The White Sox signed AJ Pierzynski. They needed a catcher badly. Pierzynski played for the Giants last year, and the Twins before that. The Twins dealt him a year ago and it was huge for them. The deal yielded Joe Nathan, who became their closer last year. (The Twins do a lot with their limited budget.)

The Cards signed Mark Grudzielanek to be their second baseman. Word on Womack was that the Cards were concerned about his elbow. Now he's the Yankees problem. They also signed David Eckstein, former Angel, to be their new shortstop.

The Beltran sweepstakes are heating up again. Will it be the Mets or Astros? Or will the Cubs or Yanks swoop in? Astros made their final offer.

Vlad's got a thumb injury that prevents him from even holding a bat.

Dodgers are interested in Derek Lowe.

The Astros are out of the Beltran sweepstakes. The Mets have emerged as the likely team. They are working on finalizing a huge contract right now. The Astros have had a bad winter. They lost Kent to the Dodgers, then they lost Berkman to a torn ACL for part of the season. He tore it playing flag football. I'm surprised that there wasn't something in his contract disallowing such activity. That's a pretty common provision in MLB contracts, to have no risky activities. Aaron Boone lost out on some money when he hurt himself playing pickup basketball last off season, and missed all of this past season as a result.

Beltran and the Mets have agreed in principle. 7 years for $119 million. The joke now is that Pedro is going to feel he's underpaid again. The Shawn Green deal is happening. The D-Backs agreed to an extension for Green. They give up Green and $10 mill and get some prospects, including one the D-Backs got in the Randy Johnson deal. Derek Lowe is in LA for a physica today. The Dodgers are throwing him a lot of money. That playoff performance seems to have resurrected Lowe's career, or at least his market value.

Lowe is now a Dodger. I wonder if he continues his form from the playoffs. He was in the doghouse with Francona during the season prior to that.

Delgado is likely to be a Met soon. I paid the price by drafting him in the first round last year in Fantasy League. 8th pick, but what was I thinking? It all fell apart after that. Don't ask. laugh.gif

Cubs are still trying frantically to unload Sosa, and still no takers. Florida is supposedly interested. Baltimore is another potential suitor (in exchange for Julio and Hairston). Maggs is interested in the Cubs, but they have to dump Sosa, then work out Maggs to see if the knee is okay, before any deal can be discussed.

The White Sox signed El Duque (Orlando Hernandez) yesterday. I read in the Sun Times today about how he escaped Cuba. Amazing story, and a must read. He's the half brother of Livan Hernandez, by the way. El Duque tired near the end of last season with the Yankees. Before he did, he was pitching quite well. He had just come back from an injury that had shelved him for all of 2003.

Mondesi signed with the Braves. I wonder how that will work out for them. Almost any other team, and I'd say forget it.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 10 2005, 11:21 AM)
Beltran and the Mets have agreed in principle.  7 years for $119 million.  The joke now is that Pedro is going to feel he's underpaid again.  The Shawn Green deal is happening.  The D-Backs agreed to an extension for Green.  They give up Green and $10 mill and get some prospects, including one the D-Backs got in the Randy Johnson deal.  Derek Lowe is in LA for a physica today.  The Dodgers are throwing him a lot of money.  That playoff performance seems to have resurrected Lowe's career, or at least his market value.

It's official ....Beltran will play centerfield for 7 years but will be paid for it over 14 years. Also tons of other perks....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1969134

I'd love to see a list of the bells and whistles that get included in contracts. There's a lot of crazy stuff in those contracts.

Robbie Alomar goes to the D-Rays for a year. schla03.gif Will he ever get it back? Still first ballot, though.

Pujols' foot is acting up again. Will it affect him this year?

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 18 2005, 12:23 PM)
I'd love to see a list of the bells and whistles that get included in contracts. There's a lot of crazy stuff in those contracts.

Robbie Alomar goes to the D-Rays for a year. schla03.gif Will he ever get it back? Still first ballot, though.

Pujols' foot is acting up again. Will it affect him this year?

Alomar farged his career up when he spat at that umpire...That will haunt his career to no end....

Pujols will be fine...The next greatest player in the game...by far

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 18 2005, 12:40 PM)
Alomar farged his career up when he spat at that umpire...That will haunt his career to no end....

Alomar has shown himself to be one of the best ever at second base. I remember the spitting incident, also. Despite that, he will get in relatively easily, I think. Many ball players have done worse and gotten inducted.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 18 2005, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 18 2005, 12:40 PM)

Alomar has shown himself to be one of the best ever at second base. I remember the spitting incident, also. Despite that, he will get in relatively easily, I think. Many ball players have done worse and gotten inducted.

That's what I think as well. Robby played here on the Indians for a few years, and he proved himself to be one of the best to ever play the game at 2nd base. Him and Omar Vizquel were an amazing duo. trink39.gif

That must have been a treat to watch. If only they had pitcihng on those teams...

Nevertheless, the Indians are poised to do something very soon. They have a great young lineup, and they're looking better and better for getting rid of Milton Bradley.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 18 2005, 03:15 PM)
That must have been a treat to watch. If only they had pitcihng on those teams...

Nevertheless, the Indians are poised to do something very soon. They have a great young lineup, and they're looking better and better for getting rid of Milton Bradley.

Well said. I have always been a HUGE baseball fan, and the Indians mean a lot to me. Getting rid of Bradley was one of the best moves they have ever made in my lifetime. That guy is a real jerk, and he isn't needed on this team. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the Indians playing this year. Should see some great games, and if we're lucky, maybe I'll be watching a few playoff games before the years end. smile.gif

I could see the White Sox competing with them, if their guys are healthy and the pitching staff holds up. (Yeah, that's going to happen. laugh.gif ) The Tigers have a way to go still. KC really collapsed in a surprising way last year. Nobody expected that. The Twins are always tough, though. For their low budget, they do suprprisingly well. Santana is going to be a force for a long time.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 18 2005, 03:39 PM)
I could see the White Sox competing with them, if their guys are healthy and the pitching staff holds up. (Yeah, that's going to happen. laugh.gif ) The Tigers have a way to go still. KC really collapsed in a surprising way last year. Nobody expected that. The Twins are always tough, though. For their low budget, they do suprprisingly well. Santana is going to be a force for a long time.

Indeed. No idea what happened with KC last year, they just sort of died. The White Sox and the Twins are going to be tough adversaries this year. Let's just wait and see what happens. Can't wait for the new season to get started! trink39.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 18 2005, 10:19 PM)
I just saw that Clemens wants $22 million this season to pitch instead of retire.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1969777

He did pitch for only $5 million last year, though.

Quite an interesting subject. Personally, I don't think I would pay him that money. I mean, he is one of the best pitchers to ever play the game, but you could get SO many players with that kind of money. Seems foolish to me to spend all that on one guy. Although, if you're a big money team like the Yankees, it doesn't really matter. Him coming to Cleveland to pitch would be a different story for us Indians fans. tongue.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 18 2005, 10:30 PM)
I mean, he is one of the best pitchers to ever play the game, but you could get SO many players with that kind of money. Seems foolish to me to spend all that on one guy.

The funny thing about that, the White Sox traded Carlos Lee to the Brewers for Podsednik and some other lesser knowns. Fans here in Chicago wondered why that trade went down. Lee had a contract for 8-9 mill this year, and Podsednik's was much cheaper. This enabled the White Sox to pick up El Duque and Pierzynski. Is Lee better than the sum of those three? Clearly, no. The Sox were going to be a .500 club if they don't make these moves. Now they have a better chance at something, possibly.

Archived