Some help please...

Rush!

Can I do this with Norton installed? Downloading Spybot and running it?

I'm not paying for anything else. Comcast is costing an arm and a leg. If they offer this Norton for free, I'll take it.

Here's another problem encountered this morning when my husband decided that today would be the day he finally switched over to Windows 7. Every time I want to go anywhere other than TRF, Opera crashes. Never did that before.

I'm not paying for anything else. Comcast is costing an arm and a leg. If they offer this Norton for free, I'll take it.

Here's another problem encountered this morning when my husband decided that today would be the day he finally switched over to Windows 7. Every time I want to go anywhere other than TRF, Opera crashes. Never did that before.

Yes you can download and run spybot with Norton installed. Ooo boy, dumping another operating system on a flakely computer is not the best idea.

Opera can have issues with flash and java on Windows 7. We were always told not to use it.

I'll open up IE and see if it happens on that.

It's my husband who insists on having what we have. He's obstinate, stubborn and pig-headed to the max.

If you want to try an alternative browser, firefox is a pretty safe and compatible choice. and it's free.

I've never used Opera so I can't say what the problems are with it. The stupid techy trick would be to try to purge the internet cache in Opera, but I don't know how you would get to it.

Im reading a lot about what I can do, but am reluctant to do anything since I have no idea what I am doing and may delete or disable the wrong thing and then I'm up a creek without a paddle until my husband gets home and that won't be for another six or so hours.

How's that for a run-on sentence? :)

Seems I already disable IE as I can't access it.

It's tough being stupid.

We switched back to XP.

Now these are the problems I'm having:

1) Youtube - If I click to listen to another song, the one I was listening to plays again even though the youtube page moves to the new song. The song I was listening to before that plays again on the new page. It's the strangest thing.

2) Norton Updates - It says that they loaded and installed, but the little "x" in the lower right-hand corner doesn't go away and, when I click on it, it says the computer is at risk due to lack of updates. So, I start the updates again but the same thing happens.

3) Wiki - Don't know whether it's just me, but I can't access it.

4) Server Certificates - Keeps popping up most places I go to saying that their certificate has expired (or something like that). Never happened before.

5) Opera Updates - Something on our computer is preventing the Opera updates from going through. It loads them up to about 98%, and then quits.

We switched back to XP.

1) Youtube - If I click to listen to another song, the one I was listening to plays again even though the youtube page moves to the new song. The song I was listening to before that plays again on the new page. It's the strangest thing.

2) Norton Updates - It says that they loaded and installed, but the little "x" in the lower right-hand corner doesn't go away and, when I click on it, it says the computer is at risk due to lack of updates. So, I start the updates again but the same thing happens.

4) Server Certificates - Keeps popping up most places I go to saying that their certificate has expired (or something like that). Never happened before.

5) Opera Updates - Something on our computer is preventing the Opera updates from going through. It loads them up to about 98%, and then quits.

oh dear...sounds like it's time for a nuke and reload.

We switched back to XP.

What do you mean?

I'm so tired of all the computer problems. We don't have $500 to go run out and get a brand new computer so we make do with what we have. It takes patience, and that's hard when patience isn't a virtue that comes naturally.

We switched back to XP.

What do you mean?

I'm so tired of all the computer problems. We don't have $500 to go run out and get a brand new computer so we make do with what we have. It takes patience, and that's hard when patience isn't a virtue that comes naturally.

Sounds like your computer has gotten to the point where it's so goobered up that it's probably best to wipe it out and reload XP, windows 7 or whatever operating system you have. The glutens for punishment would continue the whack a mole process of fixing multiple problems that never cease to end.

You can still copy off your files that you want to save onto a flash drive or some other hard drive. As an added precaution, you may want to think about replacing your hard disk at the same time to reduce the possibility of a hard drive problem. New hard drives are $50 or under.

• Like 1

Should we get rid of this Norton? I wonder if it is causing a lot of what is going on.

Do you know anyone that has had problems with it?

yes, Norton can be problematic at times. You can start there, but I think your computer problems may run deeper.
  • Like 1

By the way, Hemi, I am grateful to you for your help and advice!

:cheers:

No problem at all. I'm and old pro at this. Too bad I'm not local or I'd fix it myself.
  • Like 1