Some help please...

Rush!

I'm a very impatient person and lately my PC has been freezing up on me, just completely freezing, probably because I click too much, and it's been frustrating me. One of the problems is that whenever I have 3 programs or more open, the whole PC just slows down. AND I'm running Norton AntiVirus, that slows EVERYTHING down, every window that I have open takes forever for me to view. Now, I've read some old threads in this sub-forum and many people suggested the AVG AntiVirus program. Now, if and when I download/install this AVG AntiVirus program, would the Norton AntiVirus program be automatically deleted? Or would I have to uninstall it myself? If so, HOW would I go about uninstalling it.

Anyway, here are my comp stats, people like Barney, RR, and Launch can tell me how "good" or "fast" my computer is, and that's all I really want. A fast, reliable, stable, and smooth-running PC. The one I have now is occasionally fast, usually pretty stable, but is not always smooth-running. So here's my stats/specs:

SYSTEM:

Microsoft Windows XP

Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

REGISTERED TO:

Angelo (my father)

And then some really long number

COMPUTER:

Intel Pentium III Processor

601 MHz, 376 MB of RAM

Hopefully the computer-literate guys can help me out here. smile.gif

~Nick

Nick,

When you say your machine is slowing down with 3 or more programs running, what programs are you running?

I see your computers processor is only 600Mhz and with 376Mb of RAM. This is a pretty weak system by todays standards. You Can make this computer work well for you but you have to heavily limit what is running at all times and keep it very clean.

Your question: No, installing AVG does Not automatically uninstall Norton. Installing a program never uninstalls another, especially a different program.

Getting rid of Norton entirely can be difficult as it buries itself deep in your system. But with some work it can be done.

My suggestions, in this order:

1) Uninstall Norton completely

2) Shut off all programs at Startup

3) Install AVG free

4) Analyze and Clean the Registry completely

5) Defrag the Drive

There are strict procedures for each of those steps. Failure to follow them can be bad news. If you need help, lets just do 1 at a time.

**Or of course, you could buy a new $500 computer that has a 2Ghz processor, 1Gb RAM, 17" flat panel, ect... They are cheap.

Then you could run 10 programs at once and never worry!!

OK, just the other night, I was in the Chat room on here, listening to Goober's radio show, which was running in Windows Media Player, and I was browsing the web, I had 2 different tabs running with different sites. So those were the programs I had open which slowed everything down. Everything froze on me, except for the Windows Media Player. I tried Ctrl-Alt-Dlte but only the Windows Task Manager came up, and a number at the bottom next to CPU Usage, kept going from a low number to 100%.

I completely understand if 600 MHz and 376 MB of RAM is a weak system, obviously I think very lowly of the comp I have now. And to be honest, it's not as bad as I make it out to be. Sometimes I may have 1 or 2 Internet windows open and it runs OK. It's usually on the night of Goober's radio show (Thursday), where I have TRF open (1), the Chat window (2), the Windows Media Player (3) and occasionally another Internet window.

If I had the money, I would DEFINITELY buy a new computer. No doubt about it. I don't have enough money though.

Also, Launch, I should have told you that this is a family computer as well. This is the only one in the house. My sister and father occasionally use it, as well as my mother, but I use it the most. So I don't want to do TOO much to it, but if the steps you listed will make my (our, as in my family's) PC run smoothly/faster, then let's do it.

I would like help please as to where to go to begin un-installing Norton AntiVirus.

And, thanks for the advice/help Launch. smile.gif

EDIT: Also, last night, at the advice I saw from some older threads, I downloaded and installed CCleaner (Crap Cleaner). I ran it last night, and it showed me the list of things it deleted, and wow, there was a lot of shit that needed to be deleted. So, I guess that should stay, right?

Edited by Rush!

I understand, it's a family computer. We won't break it, I promise.

Follow these steps to remove Norton:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunse...001045512474266

Run the CCleaner and Delete All that it finds. You should have done that before.

Let me know when you have done these things.

Launch,

I have Norton AntiVirus 2006. On the link you gave me, I see "Other ways to uninstall NAV", but I don't see anything about NAV 2006. Which set of instructions should I follow?

QUOTE (Rush! @ May 19 2007, 10:08 AM)
Launch,

I have Norton AntiVirus 2006. On the link you gave me, I see "Other ways to uninstall NAV", but I don't see anything about NAV 2006. Which set of instructions should I follow?

The instructions for Windows Xp will be fine.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 19 2007, 09:55 AM)
3) Install AVG free
5) Defrag the Drive

Norton AntiVirus 2006 has been successfully removed from my computer.

Now, how do I go about Step #2?

QUOTE (Rush! @ May 19 2007, 10:34 PM)
3) Install AVG free
5) Defrag the Drive

Norton AntiVirus 2006 has been successfully removed from my computer.

Now, how do I go about Step #2?

Click on Start|Run, and type in "msconfig" and click ok

Go to the last tab (startup). From there, you can disable startup programs.

OK, I clicked Start > Run > MSCONFIG... I went to the Startup tab and unchecked everything there. I then had to reboot the PC, which I did. I just tried to open an Internet window, when a message came up, I wanted to copy and paste it, it said something like "You've just used the MSCONFIG Utility", I really can't remember, it popped up real quick, and then went away. It told me to go to the "General" tab and put everything back in Normal mode.

I clicked on the Internet icon again, and upon clicking it, my comp froze YET AGAIN. 2 Internets came up, I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and the Windows Task Manager came up, and just like 3 days ago, said my CPU Usage was at 100% and it FINALLY closed the 2 Internet windows. It's slow as molasses, I can't take it. I hope what Launch has told me in those steps will make it faster.

Thanks for the help Barney smile.gif

HERE'S the message I got right after I rebooted from the MSCONFIG thing:

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup Mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to Start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

Empty check mark box - Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts.

I had to type that all myself because they wouldn't let me copy and paste. Do I check that message or leave it unchecked?

Leave it unchecked- it's just basically saying, 'you made some changes, are you sure?'. This is handy for if you have a virus that exploits the config or else you do something that adversely affects the PC, it gives you a chance to put it right.

For the main problem- open internet explorer. Then take a screenshot of your running processes so we can see what's going on. (In case you need full instructions for this: Right click on the task bar and select 'task manager' -control, alt and delete should also bring this up. Click on the 'processes' tab. Make the box full screen if you can so we can see everything that is in it. Now hit the 'Print screen' key to take a screenshot. Close IE and task manager, open MS paint or another photoediting program. Click edit> paste to paste the screenshot into a file. Save as a Jpeg and upload to Photobucket or some other hosting site. Link to it here. You may need more than one screenshot if the process list is big.)

OK, I unchecked the box.

Now, what exactly do you want me to take a screenshot of? I understand what you mean by doing that, I may need help with MS Paint and saving it later on, but for now, do you want me to take a screenshot of the home page?

I sent you a PM reply Nick...did you not get it?

OK, I clicked Start > Run > MSCONFIG... I went to the Startup tab and unchecked everything there. I then had to reboot the PC, which I did.

The first thing you should see (upon reboot) is the popup window saying something like, "You have chosen selected startup items.....Would you like to continue using this setup?" ANSWER: Yes and also check the little box saying "don't show me this again".

Test computer.... Run a few programs, including the internet.

Does your machine run normally at this point? Normally meaning, does the internet start, do your programs start, ect...

Recheck that programs running are ONLY the programs you have started. Go To: Ctrl+Alt+Delete > Make sure ONLY the programs you have started are running in that list...no others.

Tell me those results.

Yes Mike, I got your PM reply. I haven't done that part yet though...

Well, when the box came up, I left it unchecked as of the advice of Bluefunk.

All programs are working fine, it seems. I hit Ctrl>Alt>Dlete and the Windows Task Manager came up.. The CPU Usage was back down to its normal level, everything seemed to be in order. If I have any more problems with windows freezing, I will alert you.

I have read your PM Mike, I've been very busy lately, I don't know when I'll be able to get to the 4th part of this (Analyze and Clean the Registry) but I will download that Zip file in the thread you told me about.

Thanks again for the help...

Nick

I was after a screenshot of the 'processes' tab of the task manager- this will show what processes are actually running on the PC at any one time. Specifically, I was thinking of viruses or malware- if the problem is occurring when you open your browser then it could be that you have some loggers or something on the PC which whacks up the system usage. So if you open up your browser with task manager running, then post a screenshot of the processes, we can see if there is anything running which is a bit suspicious.

Nick,
When you say your machine is slowing down with 3 or more programs running, what programs are you running?
I see your computers processor is only 600Mhz and with 376Mb of RAM. This is a pretty weak system by todays standards. You Can make this computer work well for you but you have to heavily limit what is running at all times and keep it very clean.

Your question: No, installing AVG does Not automatically uninstall Norton. Installing a program never uninstalls another, especially a different program.
Getting rid of Norton entirely can be difficult as it buries itself deep in your system. But with some work it can be done.

3) Install AVG free
5) Defrag the Drive

There are strict procedures for each of those steps. Failure to follow them can be bad news. If you need help, lets just do 1 at a time.

**Or of course, you could buy a new $500 computer that has a 2Ghz processor, 1Gb RAM, 17" flat panel, ect... They are cheap.

Let's go to point 4. How do you analyze and clean the registry completely?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 26 2007, 11:56 AM)
Nick,

3) Install AVG free
5) Defrag the Drive

Let's go to point 4. How do you analyze and clean the registry completely?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

QUOTE (the invisible man @ May 24 2007, 03:54 PM)
Sounds like a blown 7th vector valve to me.

oh course the dreaded 7th vestor valve.. i had it pegged for the 3rd.

I analyzed and cleaned the registry completely...thanks to Mike's ZIP file from the Computerized Clinic thread pinned above... 69 bogus entries came up and, as instructed, I deleted them all.

I am now ready for the 5th and final step, and that is to Defrag the Drive. I see this is in Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools... how should I go about Defragging the Drive?

Norton isn't any good?

My computer has been freezing up too.

Norton is a huge bloated program that can cause computer issues all on its own. Best to get rid of it.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 3

Norton isn't any good?

My computer has been freezing up too.

Norton is a huge bloated program that can cause computer issues all on its own. Best to get rid of it.

It may not be Norton as much as it could be spyware, which tends to get by most antivirus programs. I'd suggest downloading the free version of Spybot Search and Destroy and running it.

https://www.safer-networking.org/

You'll probably be amazed at all the creepy little spybot programs that end up on your PC just from using your browser. I haven't tried their version that includes an antivirus program, but for $13 it might be worth a try to replace your Norton.

I've used Spybot for years to clean up PCs, so it's safe. Once you have it installed, I'd suggest running it every month or two depending on how much you use your PC on the internet.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1