Vapor Trails

iamarushfan

Do you think VT us mixed well?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think VT us mixed well?

• I love it
    • Sounds Like Shit Covered in mud
    • I'm going to sit on the fence like a little bitch about this on

I got the tour book today. Wow does Alex look buff!

Seems a little time apart gave him lots of time to work out :)

The problem with the original mix of Vapor Trails isn't the mix, it's the mastering. The best version of Vapor Trails is a declipped version of the original mix.

:goodone:
  • Like 1

Apart from One Little Victory and ged's more pronounced bass in ghostrider and secret touch, the remixed album's a disaster for me

Original album's superb, i actually dont care about the sound issues is all about feel and structure for me i'll never forget those first couple months engrossed in that album after release was like this great band at their most imperious and mature best and long too

The remixed version with all its changes the band didnt choose and in particular a completely unforgivable and obviously unintentional static crackling in various parts of peaceable kingdom, is a godawful monstrosity i nearly asked for my money back

• Like 2

Just listened to the original mix and remix again. "Ceiling Unlimited" sounds a lot more alive here than the remix. Edited by _hi_water._
  • Like 1

The problem with the original mix of Vapor Trails isn't the mix, it's the mastering. The best version of Vapor Trails is a declipped version of the original mix.

Yes, I would agree. But does such a thing exist?

I prefer the "cleaner" sound of the remix overall. But on some of the songs it seems like they backed down too far, until it almost sounds like an acoustic version of the original.

Just listened to the original mix and remix again. "Ceiling Unlimited" sounds a lot more alive here than the remix.

Removing that little lick Al does after 'If laughter is a straw for a drowning man' was criminal for me, which is a shame as the added solo bits actually improved, as the added solo in OLV did. Removing stuff the band wanted in should never have been allowed - additions the band played with ok as just something new

Love the album. Never heard the problem with the mix. Never even heard the remix. I have the copy I bought back then and still have it.

OP asked about the mix.

It is garbage. Demo quality in many spots. Dense, way too hot recording as well as mastering.

Some songs sounded good on the original mix compared to the remaster oddly enough lol.

Anyway.....there are a lot of good tunes on the record. I wish it sounded better sonically as that does keep me from listening to it more. It just sounds bad compared to their entire body of work.

Let’s be real about it.

Just listened to the original mix and remix again. "Ceiling Unlimited" sounds a lot more alive here than the remix.

Agreed.

Also:

Vaportrail

Secret Touch

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Sound better on the original mix.

But Freeze.....oh like a new song on the remix as well as OLV. Ghost Rider too. The Star Look Down as well. Remix brought out those tunes much better.

OP asked about the mix.

It is garbage. Demo quality in many spots. Dense, way too hot recording as well as mastering.

Some songs sounded good on the original mix compared to the remaster oddly enough lol.

Anyway.....there are a lot of good tunes on the record. I wish it sounded better sonically as that does keep me from listening to it more. It just sounds bad compared to their entire body of work.

Let’s be real about it.

:goodone:

The material is strong, but it's a harsh listen.

Agreed.

Also:

Vaportrail

Secret Touch

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

But Freeze.....oh like a new song on the remix as well as OLV. Ghost Rider too. The Star Look Down as well. Remix brought out those tunes much better.

I couldn't disagree more, the remix ruined Ghost Rider. Bottrill's obnoxious clicky metal-style kick drum has absolutely no place in that song, it's incredibly distracting.

Edited by Rush Didact
  • Like 1

Have this in the car (probably be at least a week before I get the strength to pull it out) It's never going to sound like Dark Side of The Moon but but the passion, energy and honesty is just so overwhelmingly good that I just want to keep listening.
  • Like 1

Have this in the car (probably be at least a week before I get the strength to pull it out) It's never going to sound like Dark Side of The Moon but but the passion, energy and honesty is just so overwhelmingly good that I just want to keep listening.

Vapor Trails is still in the car and I'm only thinking about possibly pushing the eject button.

I'd like VT a lot more if they shaved at least 3 or 4 of the weaker songs off it. Rush's last three studio albums were all in dire need of trimming and overlong with unnecessary weaker material just to fill up space

Agreed.

Also:

Vaportrail

Secret Touch

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

I couldn't disagree more, the remix ruined Ghost Rider. Bottrill's obnoxious clicky metal-style kick drum has absolutely no place in that song, it's incredibly distracting.

I went back and listened to the original mix and master vs the remix and remaster. For the most part I do prefer the old mix...but prefer the new master LOL.

It sucks the master was simply too compressed and brick walled on the original release. I agree the kick drum is blatantly overdone on the new remix and master. But there are some great things that you can finally hear on the new mix. But at the same time....they reeled in a lot of that raw power from the original release.

They kept lot of the original demo jams on this album and it really shows. The passion and energy of this album was and is very unique in the catalog. The songwriting very strong in spots and really weak in others. It is a polarizing release for the band. And one that had to be made to get them back into the swing of things. Especially Neil.

I have fond memories of this period. Just being so happy the band was back after thinking it was truly over for almost 5 years. We got a second life and of course they did to. We got more new Rush music and of course the incredible tours we were able to go to.

I remember making that conscience decision when VT was released to see them live as much as I could from that point forward. And we did. So happy we had that chance!!!

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3