Your next Concerts?

Phoenix

[For me, Crimson is one of those bands that can pretty much do no wrong and has earned my trust.]

What about Rush? ;)

I like some Queensryche. Not an expert by any stretch. They along with Jethro Tull and a bunch of other bands are very much hit or miss. I think they went downhill after Promiseland(which I haven't heard just going by consensus).

Edited by New_World_Man

[For me, Crimson is one of those bands that can pretty much do no wrong and has earned my trust.]

What about Rush? ;)

I like some Queensryche. Not an expert by any stretch. They along with Jethro Tull and a bunch of other bands are very much hit or miss. I think they went downhill after Promiseland(which I haven't heard just going by consensus).

There have been a handful of Rush songs that don't thrill me but other than those yeah I'm really into.nearly everything.

Just to take this full circle that Yes show is Sunday and I'm probably not going to go even though there's a ticket offer for $20 tickets. Just not motivated enough to drive 5 hours round trip on a Sunday to a venue that is far from a favorite so I decided I'm going to pass. The password for the $20 ticket offer is Royal in case anyone wants to go.

What about Rush? ;)

There have been a handful of Rush songs that don't thrill me but other than those yeah I'm really into.nearly everything.

Just to take this full circle that Yes show is Sunday and I'm probably not going to go even though there's a ticket offer for $20 tickets. Just not motivated enough to drive 5 hours round trip on a Sunday to a venue that is far from a favorite so I decided I'm going to pass. The password for the $20 ticket offer is Royal in case anyone wants to go.

I hear you. The Yes/Asia/John Lodge show is about an hour and a half north of me and I probably won't go to that. I also probably won't see Jon Anderson solo even though he's playing ten minutes away from where I live. I told a friend I would go with him but then he turns around and has this other guy buy a ticket for both of them. Some friend. Lol. I'm just pretty much done with concerts for the most part anyway. I think sitting in front of your tv watching a live dvd of your favorite band(s) is very under-rated.

To be totally honest if I did go to the Royal Festival show a big reason would be just to see the age range of the people there. I think that would be one of the most interesting things about it. Prog rock has a younger audience these days but I doubt most of them would show up for this one.

Edited by New_World_Man

Just saw The Royal Affair tour last night in Toronto. Overall, I have to say I loved it!!! Started off rough sound wise, very possibly because the pre-compsensating they do for the "bodies in seats" that aren't there at soundcheck didn't level things properly until more people had shown up by the second act, ie. Moody Blues. Hence, the first act - Carl Palmer and the E.L.P. Legacy - was somewhat lost on my wife who, being mostly unfamiliar with the material, wasn't able to fill in the lost and muddied notes mentally.

That said, Carl Palmer's drums were exciting (I didn't realize he was only 18 when he played with "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown" and, hence, just barely 20 when ELP formed). He had a guitarist - an insanely talented one at that - playing Emerson's keyboard parts on guitar-synth, which was weird but, if you closed your eyes, you wouldn't know the difference, technique and nuance notwithstanding. Arthur Brown did the vocals... wearing a mask the whole time (surely meant to represent the old days when he wore a helmet spewing fire - I kid you not). Anyway, my big chance to get some ELP love was overshadowed by bad sound.

Things got better though. I loved the John Lodge of The Moody Blues set, despite not knowing a few of the tunes. Also, though John Lodge was the only original member, my knowledge of the band being fairly fleeting, I had no vested interest in authenticity, and the execution was very good, especially the vocal harmonies.

Asia was a nice surprise. Started with Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal on guitar & lead vocals (stellar on both). Then Steve Howe came on and Bumblefoot just sang. Also, as a nod to Geoffrey Downes' pre-Yes past, they included The Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star" which was a lark.

But more importantly, at one point I turned to my wife and remarked how much Bumblefoot's voice sounded like John Whetton and hence, Greg Lake as well, and that they should have had him singing with the Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy. And no sooner had the words left my mouth when they broke into "Lucky Man" which was awesome, and made all the more authentic of course by Carl Palmer's being in Asia as well.

Then there was Yes, who I'd sadly seen only once before in '97 at Massey Hall in Toronto. It would have been nice if there had been more original members, but Jon Davison's singing was crystal clear, Billy Sherwood has a kind of Chris Squire vibe (he played for Asia as well), and at least Geoffrey Downes has history with the band.

Aside from that... Steve Howe was there at least - fingers slowin' down some, but he cooks when it counts. Alan White only played on some tunes (i think it was Jay Schellen doing the rest - I guess Alan has the arthritis). Also, related to Alan, they did John Lennon's "Imagine" as an encore (White played on the original).

I remember, just after booking these tickets, saying to myself that I wished I hadn't been so stoned when I saw them in '97, and was particularly hoping for another chance to take in "The Gates of Delirium" on a more conscious level. And, so when then they started the opening notes to "Gates", I almost lost it... and it was spectacular... a thing of beauty... and a poignant reminder that you don't need drugs to get high at The Gates of Delirium. The coolest part of the evening to be sure.

The other encore tune was Roundabout and, being we were in Toronto, all through the set I was holding out hope that Geddy would appear on stage when they got to this song, And then I remembered he was probably still signing his books in Europe. Regardless, he did not magically appear :(

But, all things being equal, if this was the last glimpse of all these prog legends, it was an impressive and memorable night!!!! And, my wife, who is not a "progger" per se, quite enjoyed it, and that made it all the more special.

Cheers!

yes-tour-2019.jpg

Edited by alieninvasion76

Elton John, in October

And maybe Mandolin Orange in Nashville, early September. But I don’t have tickets for that yet, need to do some investigating, because I’m sure it’s sold out.

• Like 2

Elton John, in October

And maybe Mandolin Orange in Nashville, early September. But I don’t have tickets for that yet, need to do some investigating, because I’m sure it’s sold out.

How big is the venue they're playing? Smaller places are usually harder to get tickets for if it's sold out. Bigger venues are easier because there's always somebody looking to sell tickets leading up to the show.

Elton John, in October

How big is the venue they're playing? Smaller places are usually harder to get tickets for if it's sold out. Bigger venues are easier because there's always somebody looking to sell tickets leading up to the show.

They’re playing two nights at the Ryman, September 6th and 7th. I just looked, and tickets are still available for the 6th! It’s a Friday night.

To answer your question, it’s a small theater, opened in 1892...capacity 2,362 seats.

Elton John, in October

You're gonna love it. Saw him this past spring!!

I think my next show is gonna be The Who in October.

I'm usually working myself, so I can't go to too many gigs.

Dad and I saw The Who in May. All I can say is they've still got it! :)

• Like 1

Elton John, in October

I feel you, I can’t either- but this is a special show, happening on a special night. And I already bought the tickets, there’s no way I’d back out, haha.

• Like 1

Elton John, in October

I had my fill of Elton, I saw him once and another show with Billy Joel. Be good to see your take on this one. I know someone that's going to the show here.

• Like 1

I wanted to see ELO, and the Yes/Asia thingy, and a few other things... but work and conflicts got in the way.

I'm usually gigging when concerts come to town. I usually joke that I get paid to miss shows :D

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 2

I wanted to see ELO, and the Yes/Asia thingy, and a few other things... but work and conflicts got in the way.

I'm usually gigging when concerts come to town. I usually joke that I get paid to miss shows :D

Haha, that’s funny :P

Elton John, in October

I had my fill of Elton, I saw him once and another show with Billy Joel. Be good to see your take on this one. I know someone that's going to the show here.

I’ve never seen him before, so I figure now is the time to do it, since he’s calling it Farewell Yellow Brick Road. I really think he probably means it, as he’s never had a farewell your before, I don’t think. (And that’s the way it should be, right? Not like a load of other people who’ve had farewell tours and then just keep on slogging it out on the road, haha).

• Like 2

Elton John, in October

I’ve never seen him before, so I figure now is the time to do it, since he’s calling it Farewell Yellow Brick Road. I really think he probably means it, as he’s never had a farewell your before, I don’t think. (And that’s the way it should be, right? Not like a load of other people who’ve had farewell tours and then just keep on slogging it out on the road, haha).

Saw him last month and it was a great concert...

• Like 2

Just saw the Mother Hips. Great guitar work, and amazing work on the old school hammond organ.

I had no idea they were still around.

• Like 1

Just saw the Mother Hips. Great guitar work, and amazing work on the old school hammond organ.

I had no idea they were still around.

They killed it. Right here in little old Carson City, NV.
  • Like 1

Elton John, in October

Dad and I saw The Who in May. All I can say is they've still got it! :)

What's RD's vox like now?