Your next Concerts?

Phoenix

QUOTE (rushengal @ May 27 2005, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ May 27 2005, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ May 10 2005, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ May 10 2005, 10:27 PM)
Rolling Stones are comin to Calgary biggrin.gif

Good luck! I have seen them 4 or 5 times through the years. My ex-wife was a big Stones fan. I only recall one of those concerts being even marginally good. Except 3 of the shows ZZ Top opened for the Stones and blew them off the stage all 3 times.

Go figure.........

ohmy.gif Tickets sold out in 4 mins!!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

My mom got the last 4 tickets for the Ottawa show... sold out in 30 minutes. 1022.gif

As they say.........there's no accounting for taste..

My next concert will be an Open Air.

Every 1st weekend in August Wacken is the holy place to come to.

This year I will try to see these bands:

Nightwish new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Accept drool1.gif

In Extremo

Tristinia

Oomph

Torfrock

Corvus Corax

and many more.

3 days of Party Nonstop trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink39.gif trink38.gif schla03.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Jun 10 2005, 12:47 PM)
My next concert will be an Open Air.
Every 1st weekend in August Wacken is the holy place to come to.
This year I will try to see these bands:
Nightwish new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Accept drool1.gif
In Extremo
Tristinia
Oomph
Torfrock
Corvus Corax
and many more.
3 days of Party Nonstop trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink39.gif trink38.gif schla03.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

How much are plane tickets to Germany? That's going to be an awesome show.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 10 2005, 09:59 AM)
Trying to find a babysitter so I can go to the Def Leppard show tomorrow night. It isn't looking good, though. mad.gif

Found a babysitter. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif ..... but....

The damned thing's sold out mad.gif

(at $50 a ticket, can't imagine scalpers' prices)

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 10 2005, 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jun 10 2005, 09:40 AM)
Just saw a free Kasabian show last night that was really good.  Maybe I will write a review for it.

FREE????? You lucky duck. How were they live?

Yeah it was a free show. The local alternative radio station (live105) was holding a contest in which the first 350 people to show up at the club last night would get into the place for free. And thats all the club holds, so everyone who showed up early enough got to see them for free. They were in town last night because tonight (friday night), they were on the headlining stage of BFD in Mountain View, so they showed up a day early I guess. The radio station here has been really generous in playing the band and helping them grow, so it was really cool to see them do a thank-you to our city. BTW, I just got back from BFD and will DEFINATLY have to start a new thread to review that one.

Anyway, the vouchers to get in the club were supposed to be given out at 8pm, and the show to start at 9pm. So I showed up about 3 hours before they were handing out the vouchers and there were about 60 people ahead of me already by them. There were a few nutjobs that showed up as early as 7:00am and even 10:00pm the night before. The radio station was also giving away 6th row tickets to BFD to the first 15 people, so its not as totally wacko as it sounds, but still I wanted to do stuff that day. While I'm waiting in line, I meet some cool people who have coincidentally been to a lot of the same shows I have been to in the last few months, including the Mars Volta one last week and the Porcupine Tree/Robert Fripp one 2 days ago. We talk for a while, and one of thier hot female friends comes by, who apparently just got off a plane and got to the venue as quickly as she could. She cut her vacation short when she heard that there was a free show here. By the time the vouchers start getting handed out, the line is wrapped way past the block.

After getting the voucher, you are free to leave as you are already guaranteed to be let in the club, so I take a walk around to see how far back the line is, and it is 3 blocks long. I am guessing that around 2000 people showed up to try to get into the show, they shoulda got their earlier I guess. So I head back and talk with a few more people, then find the group I was waiting in line with close to the front of the line to getting in the club, so I get back with them to talk. So they let people into the club, I was pretty close to the first people to get in. We walked around a bit to check the club out, and then decide to camp ourselves at the stage. Let me tell you, this place is tiny. They were giving out 350 tickets, but it almost didnt seem like that many would even fit. At 9pm, the opening act Mad Action comes on to play. I'm standing right behind some tall dude, so even though Im only 2 feet away from the stage, which is only raised up by about a foot, I still have half the stage blocked off from me. Thats fine, they werent my taste anyway so it wasnt that important. So the set ended and a few more people started to gather. Now it was really starting to get cramped, as few people as there were, they were shoving to get closer up to the point that a couple people fall over on the stage onto the guitar pedals, and im shoved to front row. Hey, thats suits me just fine biggrin.gif

So then Kasabian comes out on stage from the side, which looked sorta like they just got out of the bathroom to get onstage. They opened up with some cool intro thing and played around a bit on thier instruments, and then went into ID, which made for a pretty cool atmospheric opening. The setlist continued through 12 songs, all of which had everyone dancing and singing to. The amount of noise the crowds were making, you never would have been able to guess that only 350 people were there. I have to admit, I dont know the names of all thier songs, and dont have thier cd, but there were some songs they were doing that I hadnt heard before that were really blowing me off my feet. Everyone was dancing and having a great time. I must say I was also impressed with the drummer at points in the show, he was pulling off some pretty tricky drum fills and doing some really cool drum beats that sounded almost like a drum machine was behind the wheel. No, hes not Neil Peart, but I was impressed none-the-less. The highlight of the evening though was the closer of Club Foot. The backup guitarist that was hiding behind a few keyboards came out and traded places with the bass player, and went into the opening riffs of the song. That is one of the coolest sounds I have heard come out of a bass guitar in a while, was very good live.

All in all, it was definatly a concert to remember. I dont think I will ever again be able to see that band that close, as they seem to be on the upswing right now. I wouldnt give it more then half a year before they become like huge and you see spotlights of them on MTV or something, so I am glad I was able to catch in on them before all the teeny-boppers catch on and fill the shows. Well, it might already be too late for that, they are opening up for Oasis at the Shoreline, which holds about 20,000 people (not that that many people are going, but it could hold that much). Lucky for me though, I already have 4 4th row tickets to that show as well wink.gif

---

And like I said, I will have to write a new topic for the BFD show. It was absolutely AMAZING.

Moonie, thanks for the run down on the Kasabian show. They'll be here (Dallas/Ft. Worth) soon. I'll probably go. System of a Down and the Mars Volta will be here for my birthday. Tickets went on sale today, but I'll have to wait until next paycheck. God, I hope it doesn't sell out before I can afford tix. sad.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jun 18 2005, 05:55 PM)
I am going to go see the Futureheads at the Fillmore in SF tonight.

I see you're back, Moonraker. How was it?

Hopefully..the Jazz Festival here in Calgary

June 17-26

featuring...

Alpha Yaya Diallo

Amy Bishop Jazz Trio

Andy S.

autorickshaw

Bent Spoon Ensemble

Bruce Petherick

Caravan

Cheryl Fisher

Dan Martin

Daniel Lanois

David Murray and the Gwo-Ka Master Creole Project

David Sanchez

Deanna Dubbin Trio

Derek Stoll

Dixie Knights

DJ Dwight

DJ Gary

Donald Ray Johnson

EJ & The Rockets

EMC - Electronic Music Calgary

Eric Ross

F.U.J.A.

Fred Mallette

French and Simao

Futureman

Gareth Bane Trio

Glen Hall Trio

Hurni, Stubbs, Moreno

Inhabitants

Jacob Anderskov "Accident"

Jason Wilson and Tabbaruk

Jean Beaudet

Jeremy Coates

Jim Brenan Trio

Jimmy Bosch Latin Band

Joel Miller

John Dewaal Trio

John Gray Duo

Jonas Kullhammar

Jon Ballantyne

Keith Smith

Kodi Hutchison

Kristian Alexandrov

Kyle Riabko

Manic Thematic Trio

Mark Limacher

Matthias Lupri Quintet

Misinterprotato

Nordic Connect, featuring Christine and Ingrid Jensen

Octurn

Olam

Onalea

Papa Mambo

Paul Ashwell

Queen Mab 3

Rich Harding

Roaring Centennial Musical Revue

Royal Canadian Air Force Band

Ryan Cohan Quartet

Sekoya

Shannon Gaye Duo

Sheldon Zandboer

Sillan and Young

Solomon Burke

Sophie Milman

Sweatshop Union and the Pocket Dwellers

Terence Blanchard

Terrain

The Online Romance

This Song Is A Mess But So Am I

Three for the Road

Tim Hus

Toby Koenigsberg Trio

True Believer Rock

Tulip Bus

Tyler Hornby Quintet

uS'

VEJI - Vancouver Ensemble for Jazz Improvisation

Verismo Quintet

Vivianne Cardinal

XIU XIU

Zoe Theodorou Jazz Band

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 24 2005, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jun 24 2005, 06:04 AM)
Neil Diamond, August 8 at Gund Arena.  Anyone else a Neil Diamond fan?  I think he's awesome.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You have GOT to be kidding me...

No way. Neil Diamond is sweet. Laugh if you wish, but I think he's good. It's alright, I've been laughed at before. wink.gif