• Freaky Styley
    • The Uplift Mofo Party Plan
    • Mother's Milk
    • BloodSugarSexMagik
    • One Hot Minute
    • Californication
    • By the Way
    • Stadium Arcadium

OK, any Red Hot Chili Peppers fans out there? I love 'em, but in a totally different way from how I love Rush. It's good to appreciate different styles of music! biggrin.gif

Basically, RHCP are one of the few "contemporary" bands whose music I can listen to without crying about the sad state of the music industry today (not including long-time bands like Rush, obviously).

So, anybody out there?

Oh yeah, you can vote for your favorite album too, if you like.

trink39.gif

Shit, that's it, eh? I only have a shitty best-of (fit for a soccer mom) the mighty classic trio and the new Shitty Album, Stadium Arcadium. I voted for Californication.

I CRAVE all of them... especially since I've heard at least one song from each album, and the only Chili Peppers material I've ever heard I didn't like was on the new album. My collection will be complete soon! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Definitely one of my favourite all-time bands.

QUOTE (I Get High On You @ Apr 21 2007, 05:44 PM)
OK, any Red Hot Chili Peppers fans out there? I love 'em, but in a totally different way from how I love Rush. It's good to appreciate different styles of music! biggrin.gif

Basically, RHCP are one of the few "contemporary" bands whose music I can listen to without crying about the sad state of the music industry today (not including long-time bands like Rush, obviously).

So, anybody out there?

Oh yeah, you can vote for your favorite album too, if you like.

trink39.gif

I'm of the opposite school. I love them for the same reason I love Rush (but obviously to a lesser degree, Red Hot Chili Peppers being among my top ten bands probably, whereas Rush are the big number two!): Musicianship - Something to prove with said musicianship + Classic songwriting + Varied catalogue.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 21 2007, 10:28 PM)
Uplift Mofo Party Plan, definitely. Although I enjoyed Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar too...

Everything after One Hot Minute (and most of that album, too) was pretty boring to me though.

Ditto.....

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 22 2007, 10:19 AM)
I only have Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and it's an excellent, funky album. Don't some of their early albums have a prime funk sound on them?

Sadly, I haven't heard the first 3 albums, so I can't say. sad.gif

Anyone?

I love Californication....but I refuse to listen to the shitty quality of the recording...my ears start puking I swear....but the album after "By The Way" I absolutely loved. oh and I Get High On You there is no "sad state" of music...your just looking in the wrong place. period.

Flea is one of the best bass players around (on par with Geddy), and for that reason I've always had an appreciation for the RHCP.

However, two big criticisms in the past:

1. Anthony Kiedis can't sing for shit.

2. The guitar parts always seemed conspicuously "thin" like something was seriously missing in the mix.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik came out during my senior year of high school, and I was really into it, until MTV played the hell out of "Under the Bridge." (I got sick of R.E.M. due to massive overplaying of "Losing My Religion" right around the same time.)

Then I went for a long time without paying any attention to these guys until a friend forced me to listen to By the Way, and it was really good! I never actually bought it though, but I did get Stadium Arcadium and I think this album is a tour de force. Chad's drumming is still a little sloppy for my tastes, but the guitar and vocals are up to where I think they should be now, and Flea is fantastic as always.

So, I voted for Stadium Arcadium. But I do really like By the Way, and I still have a soft spot for Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I've listened to some clips of early tracks, before their first drummer OD'd, and that was some really crazy stuff. I think they had a lot of potential that disappeared when he did.

That said... these guys manage to be commercially successful while still maintaining some musical integrity, and they keep pushing themselves and doing interesting things, so I put them up there in a pretty limited crowd of "contemporary" bands (c'mon, they're getting to be old farts themselves by now!) doing great music, along with Foo Fighters.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Apr 24 2007, 07:49 PM)
I love Californication....but I refuse to listen to the shitty quality of the recording...my ears start puking I swear....but the album after "By The Way" I absolutely loved. oh and I Get High On You there is no "sad state" of music...your just looking in the wrong place. period.

okay, popular music, then. or mainstream music. i know there's always good stuff out there...it's just too bad that the s*** gets all the attention.

oh, and you think the quality on Californication sucks...have you listened to Stadium Arcadium? 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif Like the songs......but the production quality is right down there with Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Apr 24 2007, 07:52 PM)
Flea is one of the best bass players around (on par with Geddy), and for that reason I've always had an appreciation for the RHCP.

However, two big criticisms in the past:

1. Anthony Kiedis can't sing for shit.
2. The guitar parts always seemed conspicuously "thin" like something was seriously missing in the mix.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik came out during my senior year of high school, and I was really into it, until MTV played the hell out of "Under the Bridge." (I got sick of R.E.M. due to massive overplaying of "Losing My Religion" right around the same time.)

Then I went for a long time without paying any attention to these guys until a friend forced me to listen to By the Way, and it was really good! I never actually bought it though, but I did get Stadium Arcadium and I think this album is a tour de force. Chad's drumming is still a little sloppy for my tastes, but the guitar and vocals are up to where I think they should be now, and Flea is fantastic as always.

So, I voted for Stadium Arcadium. But I do really like By the Way, and I still have a soft spot for Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I've listened to some clips of early tracks, before their first drummer OD'd, and that was some really crazy stuff. I think they had a lot of potential that disappeared when he did.

That said... these guys manage to be commercially successful while still maintaining some musical integrity, and they keep pushing themselves and doing interesting things, so I put them up there in a pretty limited crowd of "contemporary" bands (c'mon, they're getting to be old farts themselves by now!) doing great music, along with Foo Fighters.

yeah, Flea rocks! 1022.gif

i don't think he could take Geddy, though... cool.gif

GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 25 2007, 07:09 PM)
Oh, and anyone who digs Frusciante but doesn't really like him in RHCP should check out this band Ataxia... It's Frusciante, Fugazi's bassist, and... some session drummer.

Wiki them if you're interested.

Fugazi is wicked!

COOL. I'll have to check that out. Thanks biggrin.gif

QUOTE (I Get High On You @ Apr 25 2007, 06:45 PM)
I love Californication....but I refuse to listen to the shitty quality of the recording...my ears start puking I swear....but the album after "By The Way" I absolutely loved.  oh and I Get High On You there is no "sad state" of music...your just looking in the wrong place. period.

okay, popular music, then. or mainstream music. i know there's always good stuff out there...it's just too bad that the s*** gets all the attention.

oh, and you think the quality on Californication sucks...have you listened to Stadium Arcadium? 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif Like the songs......but the production quality is right down there with Vapor Trails.

I haven't listened to Stadium yet....really? The quality is that bad? ohmy.gif Damn. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Apr 29 2007, 09:59 PM)
I love Californication....but I refuse to listen to the shitty quality of the recording...my ears start puking I swear....but the album after "By The Way" I absolutely loved.  oh and I Get High On You there is no "sad state" of music...your just looking in the wrong place. period.

I haven't listened to Stadium yet....really? The quality is that bad? ohmy.gif Damn. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

The SONGS are bad. It's an awful album.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Apr 30 2007, 10:55 AM)

goodpost.gif

One of the worst ideas for a double album EVER.

All their stuff is great, but their first 5 records are king.

I was fortunate enough to see them on their first "club tour" in '84 with Hillel on guitar, shortly before he died. Since then I have seen them over 10 times, mostly in clubs but also in a few major venues. They are a hit-or-miss live band when playing large venues but always kicked all ass when playing in 500 seat clubs.

Their first 3 records are some of the most original music you'll find anywhere. Hell, they are what brought the "funk" to rock music!

If you want to learn to really "groove"as a musician, listen to any of their early stuff.

Room 34 said:  before their first drummer OD'd

It was their first guitarist, not drummer.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 30 2007, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Apr 30 2007, 10:55 AM)

goodpost.gif

One of the worst ideas for a double album EVER.

The thing is, people think it'd be a better album if it were shorter. It really wouldn't be. There isn't enough variety or fresh material to make even a good worthwhile forty-five minutes of listening. As it is, listening to the whole thing, for me, is a test of endurance. I keep thinking, "Is it almost over yet? Is it lmoast over yet?" and they keep playing one more f***ing shitty song that sounds like shitty-pop-by-numbers. I've listened to the whole thing twice and never again; I want that four hours of my life back.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Apr 30 2007, 10:26 AM)
All their stuff is great, but their first 5 records are king.
I was fortunate enough to see them on their first "club tour" in '84 with Hillel on guitar, shortly before he died. Since then I have seen them over 10 times, mostly in clubs but also in a few major venues. They are a hit-or-miss live band when playing large venues but always kicked all ass when playing in 500 seat clubs.

Their first 3 records are some of the most original music you'll find anywhere. Hell, they are what brought the "funk" to rock music!
If you want to learn to really "groove"as a musician, listen to any of their early stuff.

Room 34 said:  before their first drummer OD'd

It was their first guitarist, not drummer.

Dude, you just galvanized my decision. I WILL own the complete Chili Peppers discography. smile.gif

I've tried to get into them and the only album of theirs I like is One Hot Minute. Maybe it's their darkest sounding album, maybe it's Dave Navaro, I dunno. All I know is the newest album stinks.

But I do think what they are doing, correction (did) with music is pretty cool. Just Flea's bass playing for one.

I liked the first few albums at one time, but I haven't listened to them in a long time. The singles from By the Way sounded okay, but didn't peak my interest enough to check out the album, and the four or five songs I've heard from Stadium sound like complete ass. That first single that was a complete Tom Petty ripoff was really bad.