Chemistry

rickyrob

I've been playing Signals recently, and been listening to Chemistry. Each time I'd hear it, I'd think...."the tune reminds me of something else", but I couldn't think what it was....until today.

It reminds me of Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl" biggrin.gif not the synths bit, but after about 1 min of the song, not the chorus line, the verses, in particular the beat.

Have Rush drawn influences from Neil Young does anyone know?...or is this just a coincidence?

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Dec 5 2004, 01:21 PM)
Have no clue, but I love Chemistry. Signals is one of my faves. biggrin.gif

I like the first 3 tracks and New World Man. The rest is a bit too '80s for me. Not saying its bad, just not their best.

When a band has been around 30+ years, they go with the flow music-wise. Rush have changed their music with the times, and as a result have drawn fans from various different musical backgrounds and eras. This is what makes them so great. They are a truly cosmopolitan band biggrin.gif

Rickyrob, I agree that its very 80's. I personally like the 80's genre, but the thing I appreciate the most about Rush, is that they can change with the times. It goes to show their great range of abilities as the true artists they are.

I'm a fan of both Young and Rush. I'm trying to hear the Cinnamon Girl thing, but for some reason, I just can't hear it. I'm not saying it's not there, just that I can't "get it". Can you be more specific?

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Dec 5 2004, 03:02 PM)
Rickyrob, I agree that its very 80's. I personally like the 80's genre, but the thing I appreciate the most about Rush, is that they can change with the times. It goes to show their great range of abilities as the true artists they are.

I actually like the synths on Signals. I prefer the heavy synths though like those on Subdivisions and Chemistry. I was never a fan of the 'plink plonk' type stuff though. Having said this, I think Rush use it to great effect, especially on New World Man... 653.gif Its also the reason Hemispheres is one of my favourite albums....I say 'one of', because my moods on favourite music they have produced changes all the time. wacko.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Dec 5 2004, 04:27 PM)
I was just listening to Chemistry today. The song is sweet. Signals is such a good album. I don't believe I just got it around 2 months ago tongue.gif

I only got it last week!! laugh.gif I had heard it though, when it first came out. I borrowed it for some time in '82.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 5 2004, 04:30 PM)
I've always thought Chemistry would be great concert opener.

yes.gif a nice strong opening.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 5 2004, 03:56 PM)
I'm a fan of both Young and Rush. I'm trying to hear the Cinnamon Girl thing, but for some reason, I just can't hear it. I'm not saying it's not there, just that I can't "get it". Can you be more specific?

Me, too. confused13.gif I'm mean I'm pretty sure Rush appreciate Neil Young since they did Mr Soul & all, but I can't see any similarity between Chemistry and Cinnamon Girl. What am I missing?

Personally, I think that Chemistry is one of the weakest tracks Rush have ever done. Saying that, I must admit that Signals is probably my least favourite album. For the most part, its nothing to do with songs as, with the exception of Chemistry, I think they're great - its the production that lets it down, especially as most of the album sounds as if they were a two-piece (where is Alex's guitar). However, the one's I have heard live versions of really come into their own.

Chemistry, on the other, just does nothing for me. It seems to lack focus musically and lyrically and leaves me cold.

i dunno, i always kinda thought chemistry was a bit weak and corny

i think the music part of the song is cool, i just think the lyrics are a little cheesy?

to me thats the only big weak spot of signals, i think its a pretty solid album other than that 1287.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 5 2004, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 5 2004, 03:56 PM)

Me, too. confused13.gif I'm mean I'm pretty sure Rush appreciate Neil Young since they did Mr Soul & all, but I can't see any similarity between Chemistry and Cinnamon Girl. What am I missing?

The beat during the verses (not the chorus) is virtually exactly the same as that of Cinnamon Girl....like I said not the synths bit at the beginning, but after about 1m 10s into Chemistry when the lyrics begin, the beat is the same, take a CD of both and play them. I have Live Rust on CD and I'm comparing with that.

I love it! I think Chemistry is wonderfully lush, especially guitar-wise. That solo is one of my favourite solos by Alex.

Lyrics, well, it certainly is fun to sing along to them. Which is all that matters to me anyway. biggrin.gif

And sorry, Rickyrob, but I have never heard Cinnamon Girl...you made me intrigued to hear it now, though!

Edited by Proggy

Love love love Chemistry. Especially the guitar solo, I read in an interview that Alex recorded it by blaring his amplifiers out towards the surrounding mountains and recorded it with a natural echo. Since I read that, its given me a great visual everytime I hear the track of being in a mountain range, with a vast openness thats added to the feel for that. Signals btw is by far my favorite Rush album.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 5 2004, 06:40 PM)
Love love love Chemistry. Especially the guitar solo, I read in an interview that Alex recorded it by blaring his amplifiers out towards the surrounding mountains and recorded it with a natural echo. Since I read that, its given me a great visual everytime I hear the track of being in a mountain range, with a vast openness thats added to the feel for that. Signals btw is by far my favorite Rush album.

Thanks for that cool info. I never knew that. That's one of the reasons why I love this forum! yes.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 5 2004, 06:40 PM)
Love love love Chemistry. Especially the guitar solo, I read in an interview that Alex recorded it by blaring his amplifiers out towards the surrounding mountains and recorded it with a natural echo.

They also did that with Geddy's vocals in the beginning of "Natural Science." Bounced them off the mountains and recorded the natural echo. Sure sounds "natural!"

Chemistry, on the other, just does nothing for me. It seems to lack focus musically and lyrically and leaves me cold.

I feel the need to comment on this. I think the lyrics are pretty amazing. Here they are with my interpretation:

Signals transmitted (1)

Message received

Reaction making impact —

Invisibly

Elemental telepathy

Exchange of energy (6)

Reaction making contact —

Mysteriously

Eye to I

Reaction burning hotter

Two to one (11)

Reflection on the water

H to O

No flow without the other

Oh but how

Do they make contact (16)

With one another?

Electricity? Biology?

Seems to me it’s Chemistry

Emotion transmitted

Emotion received (21)

Music in the abstract —

Positively

Elemental empathy

A change of synergy

Music making contact — (26)

Naturally

One, two, three —

Add without subtraction

Sound on sound (30)

Multiplied reaction

H to O

No flow without the other

Oh but how

Do we make contact (35)

With one another?

"Chemistry" means a couple of things -- the science subject dealing with the interaction of chemical compounds (the bonds between elements) ; emotional interaction between people (the bonds between people).

Lines 1-11: What is transmitted from one person to someone else (" Eye to I")? We are fundamentally collections of elements, physical entities and yet we are able to transfer signals of emotion, non-physical entities. How is this possible?

Lines 21-30: This is about musical chemistry such as in a music group such as Rush ("One two three"). Here and this is what is understood. The combined output is greater than the sum of the parts. This time there is a mental creation of music the signals transmitted are the physical sounds but the intention is to transmit emotion ( "Music in the abstract").

Note these cerebral lyrics were penned by all three members when they were in their late 20's. (In my late twenties I thought a lot about food.)

• Like 2

"Chemistry" means a couple of things -- the science subject dealing with the interaction of chemical compounds (the bonds between elements) ; emotional interaction between people (the bonds between people).

Lines 1-11: What is transmitted from one person to someone else (" Eye to I")? We are fundamentally collections of elements, physical entities and yet we are able to transfer signals of emotion, non-physical entities. How is this possible?

Lines 21-30: This is about musical chemistry such as in a music group such as Rush ("One two three"). Here and this is what is understood. The combined output is greater than the sum of the parts. This time there is a mental creation of music the signals transmitted are the physical sounds but the intention is to transmit emotion ( "Music in the abstract").

Note these cerebral lyrics were penned by all three members when they were in their late 20's. (In my late twenties I thought a lot about food.)

Yeah those lyrics are wicked sharp. So are the lyrics of Anagram, and Dreamline, and The Weapon, and The Camera Eye, and SOOOO many others.

Peart was a real poet, equal to Dylan (fortunately less obtuse).

In English class in high school, I turned in the lyrics from "The Pass", explaining that Peart was an obscure poet who I enjoyed, and got an A.

Someone should bind together a "collected lyrics of Neil Peart". I'd buy it.

Edited by Weatherman