The Owl

Who is the best cover-artists?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best cover-artists?

• Hugh Syme
    • Storm Thorgerson
    • Roger Dean

Nice topic.

I went with Storm. Hugh is awesome also but there's something in those Hipgnosis covers that makes an impression...especially the close shots of people that ones are really unique. Perfect examples would be :

Led Zeppelin's Presence

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/be/LedZeppelinPresencecover.jpg

Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/WishYouWereHere-300.jpg

I don't miss vinyl records that much but one thing that I miss are those big covers, a visual complement to the art of making music. In a world of mp3's I guess this is something that will never exist anymore...

Edited by HamiltonYYZ

QUOTE (HamiltonYYZ @ Oct 10 2007, 08:17 AM)

I don't miss vinyl records that much but one thing that I miss are those big covers, a visual complement to the art of making music. In a world of mp3's I guess this is something that will never exist anymore...

I agree, the cover of Ummagumma just dosen't work on a jewel CD case

hugh syme gets my vote because he is far more flexible than the other two. i do like dean and thorgerson's work and they both have very distinctive and immediately obvious styles. no bad thing in itself but if you look at syme's rush covers, they don't look like they have been done by the same artist. he has many styles and uses many different techniques to produce his work.

incidentally, every time i get the train up to london for a concert, the train passes the battersea power station just before it pulls into victoria station. it always makes me think of the iconic cover for animals but it is sad how badly the building has fallen into disrepair as it has been abandoned for a long time now sad.gif

I love Storm and Pink Floyd artwork, but Hugh Syme easily takes the cake.

More substance in my opinion rather than just trying to be visually appealing, and he works in a lot of puns in keeping with the bands sense of humour, as well as the theme of the album.

He's also done some killer album covers for Megadeth, praticularly Countdown To Extinction and Youthanasia - these were also by Hugh Syme:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/Lerxst/MegadethCountdown.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/Lerxst/youthanasia-front.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 7 2007, 01:04 PM)
What about a newer artist like Travis Smith responsible for the following cover art?

Age of Silence - Acceleration
Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Katatonia - Tonight's Decision
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Lilitu - The Delores Lesion
Novembers Doom - To Welcome the Fade
Novembre - Novembrine Waltz
Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Deliverance
Opeth - Damnation
Opeth - Lamentations DVD
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
Soul Embraced - This is My Blood
Strapping Young Lad - SYL
Subterranean Masquerade - Temporary Psychotic State EP
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Townsend, Devin - Terria
Townsend, Devin - Accelerated Evolution
Winds - Reflections of the I
Winds - The Imaginary Direction of Time

Travis' covers are definitely great! He's a big up and comer for me. I always look forward to seeing his next album cover, no matter which band it's for.

Syme, no contest.

He uses bright, vibrant colors, and doesn't make everything look washed out and blurry. He also tends to use really unique combinations of designs and perspectives. His covers tend to be surreally-realistic.

My favorite album cover of all time:

http://www.drummersdigest.com/en/images/stories/Artists/Portnoy/octavarium.jpg

Excellent Syme work.

QUOTE (Lerxst2112 @ Oct 12 2007, 03:37 PM)
Storm did the covers for De-Loused and Frances for The Mars Volta. Here was his rejected cover for Amputechture.(TMV eventually got Jeff Jordan to do the work).

Amputechture(Pic too big to post)

Fascinating. I did not know that....

Thanks for the info!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 13 2007, 05:06 AM)
I have one question I know that Storm has his own art company "Hypgnosis". Does Dean or Syme have anything simular or are they just indipendents?

Hipgnosis was not just Storm Thorgerson - Aubrey Powell and Peter Christopherson were also involved as were some other freelance artists and photographers. The company ceased to exist in 1983 and any work done by Storm since then has been his rather than Hipgnosis'

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 30 2010, 10:13 AM)
Bump for some Fresh Opinions

I ask myself one question: whose artwork would I want on my wall the most as artwork? Gotta give it up to Roger Dean in that regards. That said, I do have a honkin' big Moving Pictures promo poster on my wall, and no Roger Dean artwork... unsure.gif

An argument can be made, however, that this is the coolest image any of them have ever done (Storm Thorgerson - Pink Floyd - Pulse):

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/rushgoober6/pulso.jpg

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 7 2007, 12:09 PM)
Syme has also done some good work for Megadeth and DT.

And Fate's Warning and Extol.

I voted for Roger Dean. I prefer lavish paintings as album art. I like that organic element of it.

Lasse Hoile deserves a seperate mention. Most known for his work with Porcupine Tree.

Derek Riggs

Hey Owl! Nice old thread! I would be a homer here and go with Hugh Syme, but my other favorite artist not on the list in the great Mark Wilkinson.

Mark did all of those incredible Marillion covers when Fish was still in the band.