King's X

WCFIELDS

What's a good album to start with?

Faith Hope Love

FHL is brilliant :cheers:

I would also recommend Gretchen Goes To Nebraska.

• Like 4

What's a good album to start with?

Faith Hope Love

FHL is brilliant :cheers:

I would also recommend Gretchen Goes To Nebraska.

Yeah those two come up a lot, just wanted to be sure. I guess most rate them equal.

In my book both albums are very good, but I prefer Gretchen by a nuance.

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 2

My favorite -- and the one that converted me into a fan -- was the fourth, self-titled album. However, I think Gretchen would be a great place to start too. Dat opening track, doe!

I was obsessed with this band in the '90s and the '00s. I've seen them in tiny venues a bunch of times and I've met the guys occasionally. And then I suddenly lost interest one day. It was that sudden. I don't think I've spun them in 5 years.

Maybe I should do something about that...

• Like 3

Not sure about it as a starting point, but my favorite King's X album is "Please Come Home... Mr Bulbous"... And I also would say it's my favorite album of all-time. Not a bad track on it and it's just the peak of creativity for the guys as well for any rock band I've come across.
  • Like 3

Not sure about it as a starting point, but my favorite King's X album is "Please Come Home... Mr Bulbous"... And I also would say it's my favorite album of all-time. Not a bad track on it and it's just the peak of creativity for the guys as well for any rock band I've come across.

I couldn't agree more...

...just a perfect album musically and lyrically.

Definitely my favourite King's X album.

• Like 3

"...Bulbous" is my favorite King's X album as well. It's probably not good to start with, but the overall vibe and weirdness is my kind of inspired King's X. I'm also partial to "Ear Candy" if you want a good album other than the early stuff.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more...

...just a perfect album musically and lyrically.

Definitely my favourite King's X album.

The only fault is I see is that Bulbous could maybe use 1-2 more songs...it's a bit short, but hey, my favorite KX song is "Move Me"...so it's all good.

220px-Mrbulbous.jpg

• Like 3

King' s X was great from the gate. The first 4 albums are all amazing. Haven't kept up with them since but I still enjoy all those albums.

This seems to be the case for many people who like King's X. They know about the first 4 albums from their early mainstream/video days...might of heard the grunge era 5th album "Dogman" (1994)...and totally lost track of them (as I sort of did).

It's a shame, but once I rediscovered them in the late 90's, I was a hardcore fan. Much of this is because of their "newer" material (post Dogman) and a plethora of side projects.

I tried. Maybe I should try harder. I don't know, personally there's something missing. King's X simply does not grab me, nothing pulls me in. I certainly don't hate them, far from it. They just come across as average. A good type of average, though.

I tried. Maybe I should try harder. I don't know, personally there's something missing. King's X simply does not grab me, nothing pulls me in. I certainly don't hate them, far from it. They just come across as average. A good type of average, though.

• Like 1

While King's X themselves haven't been so active with new material, they've all been individually busy with solo / side-projects.

Ty's been on fire, his last four solo albums all have been superb, and I expect the same for this next one coming out in 2016. His most recent one, "Nobody Wins When Nobody Plays" is strangely 50/50, half of it is filler and rather boring, but the other half contains some of his best work yet, such as this masterpiece:

• Like 1

Wow!

Jerry Gaskill's solo album "Love and Scars" was finally released, and this thread reminded me to look into it

It was over a decade between this solo release of his and the last one "Come Somewhere", which was released in 2004. A little over year ago it was announced that the album was to be released that year (this is 2014) and it was to be titled "King of Hearts" (an obvious reference to Jerry's heart attack)... And so I waited... And waited... And it got to the point where I thought it'd never be released..

Anyway, it's out now so who cares about all that, I bought it today and I'm about to listen through it for the fourth time in a row. I love it.

Good, hard instrumental works with his soft voice mixed in as vocals. All of it turns out to be perfectly melodic.

• Like 3

Out Of The Silent Planet is honestly a superb album, and it boggles my brain thinking that the critics got it so right, but the public didn't!

Sure, it came out around the same time as Guns N Roses, but surely rock n roll had enough love to devote to these geniuses?!?

Gretchen is great, but I like the debut a smidge more.

• Like 2

Out Of The Silent Planet is honestly a superb album, and it boggles my brain thinking that the critics got it so right, but the public didn't!

Sure, it came out around the same time as Guns N Roses, but surely rock n roll had enough love to devote to these geniuses?!?

I think the debuts weakest point is the production value unfortunately :|

Definitely could use a re-recording/remaster, but I'm not so sure that's their style.

They did re-do Goldilox on their album Ogre Tones, but Dug's change in vocal range didn't serve well for that.

All three of them, when looking back at it in retrospect, said rerecording that song was a mistake.

• Like 2

I think the debuts weakest point is the production value unfortunately :|

Definitely could use a re-recording/remaster, but I'm not so sure that's their style.

They did re-do Goldilox on their album Ogre Tones, but Dug's change in vocal range didn't serve well for that.

All three of them, when looking back at it in retrospect, said rerecording that song was a mistake.

What is the issue with the production? It sounds perfect to me!

And Goldilox is one of my favourite songs from this band.

It's been nearly a year since I discovered these legends!

By the way, I don't own a copy, but my beloved Rock Candy Records did a remaster of Out Of The Silent Planet and apparently it fixes a lot of the problems!

Rock Candy is my favourite label on the planet. Check them out!

• Like 1