King's X

WCFIELDS

Interesting takes! I'm an old-school fan, first saw them on FHL tour, met them a few times, and hung out. Big influence for me back in the day.

MY favorite albums: Dogman, FHL, Gretchen, King's X, Planet

Very Good: Tape Head, Ear Candy, Ogre Tones, XV

Never got into: Blobus, Manic, Black Like Sunday

My favorite tunes: Cigarettes, Summerland, Dogman, We Were Born, Pillow, Alone, Julie, Mr. Wilson, We Are Finding Who We Are

So, what's the news since Jerry's recovery? Are we going to get a new disc?

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 8 2012, 09:57 PM)
Just as I suspected I went to Amazon and Bulbous is one of the lowest rated records in the King's X catalog. Lots of average and meh reviews. It does contain a couple good songs but doesn't compare to their best records.

I find that surprising, but I will not let if affect my opinion whatsoever. I find every song on the album amazing.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 9 2012, 11:01 PM)
Just as I suspected I went to Amazon and Bulbous is one of the lowest rated records in the King's X catalog. Lots of average and meh reviews. It does contain a couple good songs but doesn't compare to their best records.

I find that surprising, but I will not let if affect my opinion whatsoever. I find every song on the album amazing.

Nor should you. Any King's X is good King's X. XV didn't grab me when I first got it and it's the only record I don't know very well. Maybe I need to give it another shot.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 9 2012, 09:17 PM)

Nor should you. Any King's X is good King's X. XV didn't grab me when I first got it and it's the only record I don't know very well. Maybe I need to give it another shot.

I like XV quite a bit. It's a varied album, and I see it more like a collaborated work by Dug Ty and Jerry rather than a King's X album.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 9 2012, 10:23 PM)

I like XV quite a bit. It's a varied album, and I see it more like a collaborated work by Dug Ty and Jerry rather than a King's X album.

Same here....it's not one of their best....but is pretty good.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 15 2012, 12:49 PM)

It's like a collection of their solo projects to me. All the Ty songs on it sound like content he'd leave for his solo albums. There's no sign of them working on another studio album together anytime soon and it's been 4 years. I don't know if this is their last album, and I hope it isn't, but if it is it may be a good way to sum things up.

King's X Songs on XV

1. Pray

2. Blue

4. Rocket Ship

6. Alright

9. Move

11. Stuck

12. Go Tell Somebody

Dug Songs

7. Broke

13. Love and Rockets

14. No Lie

Ty Songs

3. Repeating Myself

8. I Just Want to Live

10. I Don't Know

Jerry Songs

5. Julie

^ This is most divided album they've made, second being Ear Candy and the rest being standard King's X albums.

smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 15 2012, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 15 2012, 12:49 PM)

It's like a collection of their solo projects to me. All the Ty songs on it sound like content he'd leave for his solo albums. There's no sign of them working on another studio album together anytime soon and it's been 4 years. I don't know if this is their last album, and I hope it isn't, but if it is it may be a good way to sum things up.

King's X Songs on XV

1. Pray

2. Blue

4. Rocket Ship

6. Alright

9. Move

11. Stuck

12. Go Tell Somebody

Dug Songs

7. Broke

13. Love and Rockets

14. No Lie

Ty Songs

3. Repeating Myself

8. I Just Want to Live

10. I Don't Know

Jerry Songs

5. Julie

^ This is most divided album they've made, second being Ear Candy and the rest being standard King's X albums.

smilies-8579.png

I wouldn't be surprised if they made one more album....Dug just finished up with Eric Gales and Thomas Pridgen on a new project, and of course Ty was working with Jelly Jam not too long ago....I love Jelly Jam 3, great album....

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 27 2012, 12:06 AM)
It is indeed a great album.. A step up from 2, and I don't think 1 will ever be topped.

The bass line for March of the Trolls... smile.gif

yes sir, agree...

cool.gif

Edited by WCFIELDS

So, as many of us probably know they are touring now, opening for Kansas.

Here is the setlist, appearantly:

Shot of Love

The World Around Me

The Big Picture

Dogman

Everybody Knows a Little Bit of Something

A Box

Over My Head

Go Tell Somebody

source: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kings-x/2012...a-13dd996d.html

Not sure if this is true, I have found no youtube videos yet... But if this is so, wow! Short but very sweet, the first three songs on the list I'm especially surprised by and loving smile.gif

I saw them last week in NYC. Only played for 45 min but kicked ass

A new Ty Tabor album would be greatly appreciated...

A new Jerry Gaskill solo album is on the way! He's in the studio. Also on the way is Dug's "Naked"! In fact, that might be out now.... Hm..

Apparently there's a follow up to Jelly Jam's "Shall We Descend", can't wait for that... The Jelly Jam is... Well, the best band ever. If they all left their respective bands/professions and really worked hard at it, Myung, Morganstein, and Tabor could make the best music known to man. Just a thought ;)

Oh, and you know what. We REALLY need a new King's X album!

I know that there's another thread on this subject buried about 5 pages deep. But, it fits under the King's X umbrella and thought it might be good to mention it again...

"PINNICK GALES PRIDGEN will issued their self-titled debut album on February 12th, via Magna Carta. Composed of bassist/vocalist dUg Pinnick of the progressive metal band KING'S X, southpaw blues-rock guitarist Eric Gales (LAURYN HILL, solo) and ambitious ambidextrous drummer and former MARS VOLTA member, Thomas Pridgen, PGP unites three versatile artists, who demand, as much as share, the musical spotlight.

On the band's debut, each member of PGP infuses the material with his own set of musical influences, transforming his individual instrument into a lead instrument. The absolutely slamming musicianship frames the recognizable melodies of these songs and catapults the music into the realms of psychedelic blues, hard rock, and progressive soul/R&B.

Tracklisting:

'Collateral Damage'

'Angels And Aliens'

'For Jasmine'

'Hang On, Big Brother'

'Wishing Well'

'Hate Crime'

'Lascivious'

'Black Jeans'

'Sunshine Of Your Love'

'Been So High (The Only Place To Go Is Down)'

'Me And You'

'The Greatest Love'

'Frightening'

"This record is three guys, with music in us, who said, 'Let's go for it,'" says Pinnick. "It was built upon raw energy."

Produced by Mike Varney, Pinnick Gales Pridgen contains all the stinging bite and all-out sonic boom of King's X, The Mars Volta and THE ERIC GALES BAND. In addition, fans of artists as far ranging as JIMI HENDRIX, CREAM, LIVING COLOUR, STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN, TOOL, THE WHO, STEVIE WONDER and LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT might find something meaningful in these meaty, extended tracks."

You can find a video of the song "Hang On, Big Brother" on YouTube. I checked it out yesterday. Good stuff! I'm pretty psyched for this release.

Hang on big brother blew me away...Im a huge fan of DUg's and have always loved Eric Gales guitar playing and Thomas Pridgen as a drummer is bad ass but in the chaos of The Mars Volta it was hard to hear how much the guy grooves and really makes the song..can't wait for the full cd!!! That scream DUg does near the end of the song...simply awesome!!! ***We're not worth...We're Not Worthy***

To my fellow NYC area Rush & King's X brothers and sisters,

King's X is playing a headline gig on Sunday, 05 May 2013 at Stage 48 in New York City.

Tickets are only $20.00.

It would be a great opportunity for some of us TFRers to hang out.

We could meet up at the Harley's Midtown (formally Irish Rogue Pub), just a couple blocks away from Stage 48 before the gig.

https://stage48.com/events/kings-x/

Stage 48 605 W. 48th St. New York, NY 10036

(212) 957-1800 www.stage48.com

I'd love be there if only the atlantic would not be between amsterdam and nyc.

I've seen king's x play live once and it was just awesome. It's a shame they don't get the recognition they really deserve.

Edited by peter_heijnen
  • Like 1