King's X

WCFIELDS

Yeah Fridge, the laws are pretty damn strict. In Massachsetts, some places wont allow you in if you have an OUT OF STATE I.D!. So if youre a 22 year old college student home on break and have an out of state I.D, but grew up in the state youre visiting, you cant get in. I understand the whole underage drinking thing, but it gets pretty ridiculous sometimes. I used to work security at a club, and felt bad turning dudes way who were obviously over 21 and not bullshitting.

Just curious, what are the laws in scotland like?

And Kings X rocks balls by the way. Seen them a few times. Never fail to put on a great show.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jul 3 2009, 10:16 PM)
i havent heard much of these guys........but ill get to see them open for Porcupine Tree in september,

hopefully ill like them cool.gif

They're ten times better than Porcupine Tree...IMVHO of course wink.gif

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jul 2 2009, 10:57 PM)
We've got this thing called no underage drinking, and you can't get into a club to see a band unless you are 21 or with a parental unit.

21 is the drinking age. Kids try to sneak in all the time. Many clubs have been stung by the police and fined, so they card everybody.

I'm so used to it that I don't even think about it.

We do also, though 18 is our limit...21 seems a bit high to me. And what's a "parental unit?" - we are Borg!

In this situation...I am 42, and my wife is 51. She is in a wheelchair and we are obviously not US citizens, so it was a fair bet we were telling the truth when we said we didn't know about it......The point here is that this arsehole was quite willing to turf a disabled woman out on to the street in a city she didn't know merely to satisfy the letter of the law.

i think some discretion here could have been exercised, don't you?

In any case, I still think it's draconian.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 4 2009, 06:55 AM)
QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jul 2 2009, 10:57 PM)
We've got this thing called no underage drinking, and you can't get into a club to see a band unless you are 21 or with a parental unit.

21 is the drinking age.  Kids try to sneak in all the time.  Many clubs have been stung by the police and fined, so they card everybody.

I'm so used to it that I don't even think about it.

We do also, though 18 is our limit...21 seems a bit high to me. And what's a "parental unit?" - we are Borg!

In this situation...I am 42, and my wife is 51. She is in a wheelchair and we are obviously not US citizens, so it was a fair bet we were telling the truth when we said we didn't know about it......The point here is that this arsehole was quite willing to turf a disabled woman out on to the street in a city she didn't know merely to satisfy the letter of the law.

i think some discretion here could have been exercised, don't you?

In any case, I still think it's draconian.

I completely agree with you, Fridge, but that's the way things are. I've seen my 90-year-old grandmother get asked for ID when she orders a glass of wine. I mean, she doesn't look 90, but COME ON!

But an awful lot of businesses have been hit with stiff fines or forced to close for a couple of weeks (sometimes leading to permanent closure due to lost revenue). I think the owners of places that serve are so paranoid that they have a policy in place to ID everyone who comes in the door; failure to do so gets the employee fired.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 4 2009, 04:50 AM)
i havent heard much of these guys........but ill get to see them open for Porcupine Tree in september,

hopefully ill like them  cool.gif

they are one of the best live bands out there.......amazing. I highly doubt I would have been able to sit through Porcupine Tree.......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 4 2009, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 4 2009, 04:50 AM)

hopefully ill like them  cool.gif

they are one of the best live bands out there.......amazing. I highly doubt I would have been able to sit through Porcupine Tree.......

well ill be sure to come back to this thread after the show and give you the verdict wink.gif

i doubt ill like them more than Porcupine Tree.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 1 2009, 03:36 PM)
Ok, time for a few pics

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/100_1356.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/100_1355.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/100_1394.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/100_1353.jpg

This is f*ckin awesome........these guys are the cool dudes around.......all of them. I wish I could've you made it to these shows with you man.....next time for sure.......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 4 2009, 07:49 PM)
What was Ty using for gear? Did he have the Eganters on stage?

Yeah, he was using the Egnators. They sounded incredible, nailing the tone from different albums nicely.

I asked him if there were any plans to do a mass production version of the modelling he had made for him, and he said it had been discussed, but no firm decision.

I reckon that is something I would definitely want to buy

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 3 2009, 09:23 AM)
bumper.gif

Bumped because of their sheer brilliance. Playing XV a lot at the moment.

Their best is a long time (although OT was good too)........listen to it all the time........

Got to see these guys last night when they opened for Porcupine Tree in NYC. I hesitate to call them an opening act. They've been around too long and are way too good to be called that. They played for 45 minutes and I wanted more. Reverend Doug and the boys turned the crowd into their congregation (as Pags put it in the PT thread). What a cool f*cking band. They rock, they're tight as all hell, and keep you smiling the whole set.

Doug said he and the band would be at the bar after the set to hang with fans and sign autographs. Others in this thread have mentioned them doing that at other shows, and it's an extremely cool and gracious thing for a well-known band to do. I'd have went back there to meet them if I didn't have such a good spot on the floor (it was a general admission show).

Addressing some of the previous posts:

Ty had his custom Egnator rig, and it sounded excellent. Too bad Egnator's Chinese-made mass-produced amps sound nothing like that (they sound like ass, IMO), but that's another story.

Kings X and PT are a good match for a double bill, but they're also dissimilar enough that comparing them to each other is useless. Either you like both bands or you don't. 1022.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 25 2009, 12:57 PM)
Got to see these guys last night when they opened for Porcupine Tree in NYC. I hesitate to call them an opening act. They've been around too long and are way too good to be called that. They played for 45 minutes and I wanted more. Reverend Doug and the boys turned the crowd into their congregation (as Pags put it in the PT thread). What a cool f*cking band. They rock, they're tight as all hell, and keep you smiling the whole set.

Doug said he and the band would be at the bar after the set to hang with fans and sign autographs. Others in this thread have mentioned them doing that at other shows, and it's an extremely cool and gracious thing for a well-known band to do. I'd have went back there to meet them if I didn't have such a good spot on the floor (it was a general admission show).

Ty had his custom Egnator rig, and it sounded excellent. Too bad Egnator's Chinese-made mass-produced amps sound nothing like that (they sound like ass, IMO), but that's another story.

Kings X and PT are a good match for a double bill, but they're also dissimilar enough that comparing them to each other is useless. Either you like both bands or you don't.  1022.gif

Cool there's a King's X thread. laugh.gif

They turned the venue into the Church of Rock n Roll with the song Over My Head. It was outrageous. Those guys were so f'ing cool onstage. I wish we had gone to meet them afterward.

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 25 2009, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 25 2009, 12:57 PM)

Kings X and PT are a good match for a double bill, but they're also dissimilar enough that comparing them to each other is useless. Either you like both bands or you don't.  1022.gif

Cool there's a King's X thread. laugh.gif

They turned the venue into the Church of Rock n Roll with the song Over My Head. It was outrageous. Those guys were so f'ing cool onstage. I wish we had gone to meet them afterward.

Reverend Dug in action. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

If you ever get the chance you NEED to meet him. One of the nicest guys you will ever talk to.

Yep, been a fan since 1988. That is the one and only time i saw them live.

confused13.gif Life just gets in the way i guess, but i will see them agian

1022.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 26 2009, 03:05 AM)
Anyone happen to have a setlist from what thye played last night? If they only played 45 mins, they for sure missed TONS of good shit.......

Absolutely

It's a total travesty that they have to be a support act for anyone at all, never mind an act which IMO they are much better than.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 27 2009, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 25 2009, 09:05 PM)
Anyone happen to have a setlist from what thye played last night? If they only played 45 mins, they for sure missed TONS of good shit.......

You most certainly do.

I confidently predict you will be blown away.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 27 2009, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 26 2009, 03:05 AM)

Absolutely

It's a total travesty that they have to be a support act for anyone at all, never mind an act which IMO they are much better than.

eyesre4.gif