King's X

WCFIELDS

Huge Fan here!!! I have seen them 12 times live and met and hung out with a few times as well.

Great band.

Yeah, not only are they great performers....they very cool, genuine, people.

Met them several times as well. Looking forward to their new album later this year.

They're a band I 'threatened' to get into for ages, but never quite did. Love what I've heard of them, though...

QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ Apr 4 2007, 12:43 AM)
Love 'em... seen them 3 times. Lost touch after the "Ear Candy" album.. What are they up to now?

Recording with Michael Waegner....

I've known them for years through a buddy of mine. Genuine people and great musicians. Doug (dUg) and I have a few things in common. He is originally from Joliet ,Il. I live near there and taught/coached there. I had his family members in my classes etc.

I think they kinda lost their way after Ear Candy though, but have started gaining that greatness back again w/ there most recent releases.

If you want to see a great live band they would be worth every penny.

Strange that I never bought any of their albums because I like what I've heard. I saw them open up for Living Colour in the early 90s. Great performance by both bands 1022.gif . It was a free concert and I was able to get all the way to the front to boot trink38.gif

I bought the Faith Hope Love cassette years ago, but only thought it was so-so.

Living Colour is another story... they're awesome!

Edited by GeddyRulz

Yep, I like them. I thought Faith, Hope, Love was a little uneven, with some great stuff and some not so great. I very much liked that fourth eponymous release, although that's the one critics called "uneven"

and "unfocused". But what do critics know? Gretchen Goes to Nebraska is really good. I should get Dogman but I've never gotten around to it.

I think the "essential" King's X are their first fews attempts .....

Out of the silent planet

Gretchen Goes to Nebraska

(faith hope love, to me, was unfocused and a step back)

King's X

Dogman

and....

Ear Candy

They seemed to write much worse lyrics after this and make weaker albums. The last one seemed to be a bit better, but after the ones I have listed, to me, it was a step down and they kinda lost me as a die hard fan.

yeah it is pretty good. but something happened.... became less "proggy"/ went the heavy route and I just don't think it was for the better IMO.

I still LIKE it but I don't love it, and it absolutely didn't gain more interest from those who weren't already into them ( wasn't very accessible to people new to them).

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 4 2008, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 7 2007, 02:58 PM)
FHL definately isn't an album to turn people on to KX.....

Thought I'd dig up this thread. I've only heard FHL, and I think it's very good indeed. God only knows what I'll think of the others.

I also like FHL but agree it's probably not the best place to start.

I remember you saying you had ordered Gretchen Goes to Nebraska. I confidently predict you will be blown away utterly. It's simply phenomenal.

I'm going to see them in germany in january. Can't wait. trink38.gif