8. “Swipe Up”
9. “Holidays”
10. “Watcher”
11. “She Called Me Home”
12. “Every Everywhere”

New Single...

• Like 4

finally.. i'm excited for it.

they took so long because they said they want their long awaited (presumably final?) album to be as good as Dogman & Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, while still being its own album of course. I don't know if they'll be able to pull that off, but I hope they do. This track is nice, but it's missing the three-point vocal harmonies of theirs which makes them stand-out more than anything, so I hope we see that on a good amount of the other songs.

as far as I'm concerned King's X has never really made a bad album, their worst work is still pretty good (Black Like Sunday gets a pass for being a compilation album of re-recorded old songs, all from before they were officially King's X), so I'm sure this album will be no different. the problem with their last album, XV, is that more than any of their albums before it felt 'divided', Ty and Dug putting their own work onto the album without much input or overlap from the other band members. It looks like they're going to be more collaborative again on this one.

I expect it to be my AOTY, probably.. that is unless The Mars Volta end up putting on out this year, then it's up in the air.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Claude_verret said:

Album out 9/2

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kings-x-let-it-rain/

New Single...

It's fine.  Not hearing anything that's going to make me run out and buy it. 

After Ear Candy my personal musical tastes drifted away from King's X.  For me they had a clear sweet spot across a couple albums that worked for me.  Foo Fighters would be another band that have two albums I love to death, back to back, but everything before and since not regular rotation worthy.

• Like 1

Just listened to this interview yesterday, they get into detailed stories regarding the production/songwriting of several songs, mainly stuff from their earlier catalogue. very good interview and quintessential for any king's x fan i'd say. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 3:49 PM, _hi_water._ said:
On 4/2/2022 at 7:30 AM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

I’m looking forward to

when Hi_Water does the

Kings X albums eliminations

series .. as the overall winner

will be hard to predict ! :-)

hmmm...

I'd definitely be down for that.  

22 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

This was silently released:

I didn't give it up, I turned it off.

That was an annoying song.

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2022 at 5:05 AM, Segue Myles said:

I didn't give it up, I turned it off.

That was an annoying song.

The band has talked up this new album for years now, like it's some of their best work.  So far, it's a bit of a shoulder shrug from me.  Even the damn album cover is a miss...

I buy it day it's released either way.  Fingers crossed.

guess i'm in a minority then :lol: i agree that the band may have talked this one up a bit too much, saying it'd be one of their best works alongside gretchen / dogman def sets the bar pretty high, and so far the two singles both are very straightforward, but i do enjoy it. Dug's bass isn't utilized a whole lot i noticed though, very silent during the verses in both of the songs. but Ty's riffs are very cool, especially in Give It Up. it seems like it'll be a good album and i'm still eager for it, but so far the signs point to it being more of what we'd expect following ogre tones / XV

i think the elephant in the room with King's X might be that they don't seem to get along like they used to. not saying they hate each other, they clearly don't, but it's been a lifelong project of theirs so they're probably feeling a lack of excitement/inspiration after decades of being at it. ever since the turn of the century dug and ty each began to do their own solo work / side projects, a lot of their time and creative energy goes elsewhere 

Great points.  The 13...14 or so years between albums could be a tell.  Obviously Jerry had serious health issues, but the years without producing anything but 473 solo projests makes you wonder if the inspiration within the "3 sides of one" still burns.

Give me 50% of the awesomeness from the first two (inspired!) KXM albums...I'll  be happy.  Hell, give me Manic Moonlight pt.2...I love that weird period of albums

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

King's X is a band i had a brief romance with about 4 year's ago.

the stuff i loved i don't anymore so this would be a pass on my end.

God they bore me now sadly.

Mick

I know, I still really love the debut, Gretchen and odd songs elsewhere. That's about it. But even then, I don't love like I used too.

Sometimes I feel their musical chops are fantastic but the melodies are...nowhere to be found.

I echo the general feeling everyone else. 
I love em but feel like they lost, or morphed, that magical je ne sais quoi from the 1st 2 or 3 albums. Then the songs got a little bit more straightahead with the melodies and harmonies still there on occasions. Personally love mid-era Dogman and Tapehead too.

Ty said in interview a few years ago that he feels he has a great musical partnership with Doug that he's never had in any other band/musical event but whether time and distance and solo projects is, as others have said, diluted that. 

Or maybe it was just inevitable. People grow and bands changes. 

Still love em though and will still get the latest album even if it turns out 'meh'. It's like the old saying - their 'meh' is another bands good/maybe great.

Edited by Malignant Narcissist
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I know, I still really love the debut, Gretchen and odd songs elsewhere. That's about it. But even then, I don't love like I used too.

Sometimes I feel their musical chops are fantastic but the melodies are...nowhere to be found.

i'd take Enchant over KX....even though they're not active either so who knows how they'd be now. lol.

but my point is they had musical chops but they're melodic ability is stratospheric compared to KX.  who i feel get lost in  the technical aspect and counting time too much.

Mick

13 hours ago, rocket ignites said:

Great points.  The 13...14 or so years between albums could be a tell.  Obviously Jerry had serious health issues, but the years without producing anything but 473 solo projests makes you wonder if the inspiration within the "3 sides of one" still burns.

Give me 50% of the awesomeness from the first two (inspired!) KXM albums...I'll  be happy.  Hell, give me Manic Moonlight pt.2...I love that weird period of albums

Mr. Bulbous is my fav album by them while Black Like Sunday is the only album by them I can't say I enjoy. I loved that weird run of more experimental albums too, those were special and one-of-a-kind, uniquely them. They'll never be doing stuff like that again though. 

5 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

I love em but feel like they lost, or morphed, that magical je ne sais quoi from the 1st 2 or 3 albums. Then the songs got a little bit more straightahead with the melodies and harmonies still there on occasions. Personally love mid-era Dogman and Tapehead too.

a lot of it had to do with the label / producers. Dug strangely doesn't like those three albums and doesn't think they do a good job at representing them as a band, which is sad news. Ty's bringing back his original gear for this album, at least for certain songs, so we can only hope they bring back some of the cool three-point harmonies for some of the songs too. Problem is their vocal ranges aren't what they used to be now :P

For the most part thought it sounds like they intended to make something new & original with this album instead of cater to the fans by relying on the successes of their past.

• Like 3

I love the band. Love them. 

I saw them live in 1991

and the show literally changed me right then and there. Amazing performance.

Over the years they’ve altered their musical approach and that’s fine-Similarly to Rush in the way new releases would initially disappoint and then just grow on you.

The new songs are cool enough. Doug sounds absolutely great.

The drum sound is pure shit though. Overly compressed and so loud and high endy in the mix.

Ogertones and XV - both have excellent songs- suffered from similar issues but not as badly as they are on these new recordings.

Rock drums are getting f***ed by digital mastering technology - or perhaps these engineers don’t know how to mix them anymore.

If this is a pure analog recording,

then they mastered it so shittily that it’s almost unlistenable.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, chemistry1973 said:

I love the band. Love them. 

I saw them live in 1991

and the show literally changed me right then and there. Amazing performance.

Over the years they’ve altered their musical approach and that’s fine-Similarly to Rush in the way new releases would initially disappoint and then just grow on you.

The new songs are cool enough. Doug sounds absolutely great.

The drum sound is pure shit though. Overly compressed and so loud and high endy in the mix.

Ogertones and XV - both have excellent songs- suffered from similar issues but not as badly as they are on these new recordings.

Rock drums are getting f***ed by digital mastering technology - or perhaps these engineers don’t know how to mix them anymore.

If this is a pure analog recording,

then they mastered it so shittily that it’s almost unlistenable.

fortunately since i'm in the dark about mixing drums it doesn't bother me so much ;) -- drums sound fine on give it up, but you're right with let it rain and i hadn't even noticed, that's way too compressed. It's especially sad considering how great the drums have sounded in the past with the Dogman album ofc as well as with others like on Tapehead/Bulbous. Cupid's drums are sick and have an incredibly punch to them

i saw "All Gods Children" performance too and I enjoyed the song a lot, what a cool outro.

Looks like they're doing a quick interview series leading up to the release date, it'll be here before we know it..

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Rod in Toronto said:

I am about to confirm an interview with dUg for this week. Looking forward to it! And I got the album yesterday too!

Superb 👍 😎