King's X

WCFIELDS

Out Of The Silent Planet is honestly a superb album, and it boggles my brain thinking that the critics got it so right, but the public didn't!

Sure, it came out around the same time as Guns N Roses, but surely rock n roll had enough love to devote to these geniuses?!?

Gretchen is great, but I like the debut a smidge more.

I think the debuts weakest point is the production value unfortunately :|

Definitely could use a re-recording/remaster, but I'm not so sure that's their style.

They did re-do Goldilox on their album Ogre Tones, but Dug's change in vocal range didn't serve well for that.

All three of them, when looking back at it in retrospect, said rerecording that song was a mistake.

What is the issue with the production? It sounds perfect to me!

And Goldilox is one of my favourite songs from this band.

It's been nearly a year since I discovered these legends!

I find the instrumentals to be lower in the mix compared to the vocals, and the guitar tone, while it's nice, should have more crunch to it. The bass is heavy, but the guitar sounds like a feather with some salt sprinkled on it... It should sound like a shaker full of salt ;) .

Great songs, I just could never get past the production enough to enjoy them in excess. Maybe I'll just turn up the volume louder or something next time.

My favorites from the album (in order of appearance) are: In the New Age, Goldilox, King, Shot of Love (From the Mountain to the Sea ♫), and Visions.

http://youtu.be/f19FQfzly50

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 2

Out Of The Silent Planet is honestly a superb album, and it boggles my brain thinking that the critics got it so right, but the public didn't!

Sure, it came out around the same time as Guns N Roses, but surely rock n roll had enough love to devote to these geniuses?!?

Definitely could use a re-recording/remaster, but I'm not so sure that's their style.

They did re-do Goldilox on their album Ogre Tones, but Dug's change in vocal range didn't serve well for that.

All three of them, when looking back at it in retrospect, said rerecording that song was a mistake.

I find the instrumentals to be lower in the mix compared to the vocals, and the guitar tone, while it's nice, should have more crunch to it. The bass is heavy, but the guitar sounds like a feather with some salt sprinkled on it... It should sound like a shaker full of salt ;) .

Great songs, I just could never get past the production enough to enjoy them in excess. Maybe I'll just turn up the volume louder or something next time.

My favorites from the album (in order of appearance) are: In the New Age, Goldilox, King, Shot of Love (From the Mountain to the Sea ♫), and Visions.

Hhhmmm playing it now I think I hear your point! The vocals are very too the front, and the bass is a little soft, but when I compare this to the thrash or hair metal of the day, I honestly prefer it to anything!

King's X definitely fixed these issues, as I swear Faith Hope Love is the sound of perfection! But yeah, now you draw my attention to it I get the issues. It's very clean sounding, but to be honest, its just nice to hear an eighties rock album that isn't drowned in overdubs or synths! It also feels both like a seventies classic and a post grunge era rock n roll smash!

It's timeless! I get the same excitement from King's X that I did when I first discovered Mastodon, and I know I love the first four KX albums as much, if not moreso, than my favourite Rush albums!

Dogman I find to be a little underwhelming, and after that I have yet to fully immerse myself. But for now, after just a year, I am still getting to grips with the first four LP's, and I am happy to just listen to them. I want to get the most out of them before I move on.

Also, Visions sounds a lot like seventies era Rush, bar the vocals. I could imagine it on any of their albums from FBN to AFTK.

The first time I saw them was in Milwaukee in '98 or '99. I took my then-9ish-year-old daughter with me, who was also into them at the time. Ah, to be 9 again -- she and I were basically ushered to the front by the crowd so that she could easily see the band. And the loot she walked away with! Jerry's beaten-to-hell sticks, Ty's and Doug's picks, the setlist that was taped on the floor of the stage...

After the show the guys came out to chat with her and give out hugs. Unforgettable.

• Like 4

Wow!

Jerry Gaskill's solo album "Love and Scars" was finally released, and this thread reminded me to look into it

It was over a decade between this solo release of his and the last one "Come Somewhere", which was released in 2004. A little over year ago it was announced that the album was to be released that year (this is 2014) and it was to be titled "King of Hearts" (an obvious reference to Jerry's heart attack)... And so I waited... And waited... And it got to the point where I thought it'd never be released..

Anyway, it's out now so who cares about all that, I bought it today and I'm about to listen through it for the fourth time in a row. I love it.

Good, hard instrumental works with his soft voice mixed in as vocals. All of it turns out to be perfectly melodic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB5ehL9ncmQ

Thanks for posting. Just listening to Sad. Great tune. :cheers:

http://youtu.be/r3-VoCd_b3g

• Like 1

Wow!

Jerry Gaskill's solo album "Love and Scars" was finally released, and this thread reminded me to look into it

It was over a decade between this solo release of his and the last one "Come Somewhere", which was released in 2004. A little over year ago it was announced that the album was to be released that year (this is 2014) and it was to be titled "King of Hearts" (an obvious reference to Jerry's heart attack)... And so I waited... And waited... And it got to the point where I thought it'd never be released..

Anyway, it's out now so who cares about all that, I bought it today and I'm about to listen through it for the fourth time in a row. I love it.

Good, hard instrumental works with his soft voice mixed in as vocals. All of it turns out to be perfectly melodic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB5ehL9ncmQ

Jerry's "Come Somewhere" might be my favorite solo album from any of the guys, and that's saying something. The new music sounds excellent...thanks for posting it. :ebert:

• Like 1

So I am finally properly exploring KX post-Dogman now! One by one, in chronological order, I am going to buy the remaining albums. I now have my own copy of Ear Candy, and wow! I seriously don't like Dogman. It is sure to grow on me, but it feels too distant to the ethereal, almost ambient feel (not necessarily sound, if that makes any sense) of what had come before.

But Ear Candy, wow! What a gem! I really like how KX do not rely on catchy, chart friendly choruses. Even at their most melodic, they are still challenging for the listener, and this album teases with so much life, it takes many listens to really get the most from it!

I adore it! And the cover art is beautiful as well, probably my second favourite artwork of this band after Faith Hope Love.

King's X are easily one of my very favourite bands now. I adore them.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing The "King" video. I'd never seen it before. "Summerland," yeah...but never King.

They've been working on their next and final studio album for years at this point. Ty and Dug have consistently been doing side project / solo releases in the mean time and some of it's good too. The reason for the big delay is that they don't want to leave things on a mundane note, they want this album to be the next "Gretchen" or "Dogman" -- all while not sounding quite like anything they've done before. If it's of similar but slightly better quality to XV then I'll honestly have no complaints, I just hope it gets done.
  • Like 2

Ty's latest solo album has been cheering me up a lot lately - and , lots of nice songs on it but this one would have to be my favorite, great songwriting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-WokUrIdH4

As for Dug, this song he did with his KXM supergroup is probably better than it has the right to be, crazy stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTnzne69Ts

• Like 1

I enjoy all three KXM albums, playing them quite often. More than any King's X material at this point.

Ty's solo albums and projects are fine, just not aligned with my personal musical tastes.

• Like 1

They've been working on their next and final studio album for years at this point. Ty and Dug have consistently been doing side project / solo releases in the mean time and some of it's good too. The reason for the big delay is that they don't want to leave things on a mundane note, they want this album to be the next "Gretchen" or "Dogman" -- all while not sounding quite like anything they've done before. If it's of similar but slightly better quality to XV then I'll honestly have no complaints, I just hope it gets done.

Interesting. I had assumed long ago King's X was done for good.

• Like 1

Touring Europe again in September, ticket purchased :)

I expect that they will release the new album before the tour. Interviews with the band have stated that it is basically done. Mixed and Mastered. Just waiting for the right time to release; likely to coincide with a tour....

Can't wait to hear it!!

• Like 4

I feel a bit sad about KX. I loved them so much for a couple of years, but burned out on them pretty fast, beyond the first two albums.

Happy to see them still going though!

• Like 1

I feel a bit sad about KX. I loved them so much for a couple of years, but burned out on them pretty fast, beyond the first two albums.

Funny, I don't even listen to anything pre-Dogman anymore. Dogman, Ear Candy and maybe Ogre are probably my favorite KX albums, which makes me kinda a rare version of fan but my tastes in music generally lean heavier and those albums represent that sound I like. It's undoubtedly why KXM appeals so much to me, it's a continuation of that straight forward KX harder rock sound.

Edited by stoopid

Funny, I don't even listen to anything pre-Dogman anymore. Dogman, Ear Candy and maybe Ogre are probably my favorite KX albums, which makes me kinda a rare version of fan but my tastes in music generally lean heavier and those albums represent that sound I like. It's undoubtedly why KXM appeals so much to me, it's a continuation of that straight forward KX harder rock sound.

I respect them so much, I will always support them. But yeah, some bands I love a lot and some I love then burn out fast...they were (shockingly) one of them

• Like 1

I respect them so much, I will always support them. But yeah, some bands I love a lot and some I love then burn out fast...they were (shockingly) one of them

i agree. like i don't like ANY of their post 2000's work.

Mick

They have a pretty interesting and diverse catalogue, I do enjoy their later stuff (though it has its weak spots) too, I listen to pretty much everything by them

I still stand by "Please Come Home... Mr. Bulbous" being one of the coolest albums ever made. That one's often ranked low among the fans for it's more quirky and experimental nature, but that's why I love it.

• Like 3

I’m looking forward to

when Hi_Water does the

Kings X albums eliminations

series .. as the overall winner

will be hard to predict ! :-)