King's X

WCFIELDS

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2009, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Jan 23 2009, 02:20 PM)
It's a tragedy and a mystery that they are not more successful

This has me baffled too.

Their stuff is so devastatingly melodic, the albums are so consistently good, they should be squillionaires.

But, what I witnessed in Wolverhampton could not have been replicated in an arena or stadium.

Agreed, agreed. trink39.gif

Could it possibly be a racial thing? I mean, Living Color was doing real well as they should have been and they broke up because they just were not making it financially from what I understand. Could this be the reason King's X are not as popular as we all know they should be? By the way, I think King's X are light years ahead of Living Color and there is absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

Think about it though: Who has been the biggest African-American lead singer/guitarist/bassist (like Dug) in a really big band since Jimi Hendrix other than the late, great Phil Lynott (who was actually African-Irish)?

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 23 2009, 11:14 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2009, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Jan 23 2009, 02:20 PM)
It's a tragedy and a mystery that they are not more successful

This has me baffled too.

Their stuff is so devastatingly melodic, the albums are so consistently good, they should be squillionaires.

But, what I witnessed in Wolverhampton could not have been replicated in an arena or stadium.

Exactly.

It will always be one of these unexplained mysteries why they are not megastars. For example,if REM had recorded "Mississippi Moon" it would have been a worldwide smash, no question.....

However, whilst it is sad that they are not recognised further, it is very good news for us diehards that they are so accessible.

Saying that, I still believe they would be the same diamond geezers they are now, it would just be harder to meet them due to sheer volume of traffic.

Squillionaires. lol. King's X certainly elicits this sorta indignant reaction amongst those who know. And, those who know find it awfully unjust that these cats aren't already super-huge squillionares. It's upsetting because we just know...and, well, we really dig Dug.

The type of moral outrage expressed by 'those who know' always reminds me of the VH1 show - 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock. Ya catch this frikkin thing? Well, when they get to #83 King's X, my man and yours, Vernon Reid from Living Colour comes on the screen, rolls his eyes and makes a comment about how immaculate the production on 'Billion Dollar Babies' is....Wait a sec, that's the wrong scene.

Vernon Reid comes on the screen and, in reference to King's X, says "It's only a matter of time until they're the biggest band in the world." Great sentiment...Totally unrealistic, but great sentiment. I'd actually be uncomfortable if KX was the biggest band in the world. That would mean that everybody was intelligent and had great taste...Who the heck wants to live in a world like that? lol.

If you are on-the-ball enough to be listening to the likes of Rush, this type of sharpness should carry over to other facets of your personage. Right? Makes total sense.

Yet, of course, this doesn't always hold true. It should, but it don't. If it did, we would all be multi-million dollar architects, who taught Physics at the local college and were also very accomplished philosophers, poets and painters in our spare time. But, we're not. We're usually very intelligent slackers.

I was just listening to Audioslave's second release which inpired me to listen to King's X - Taphead. Does anyone else detect a commonality between these two different bands? I think it's the groove factor. Tapehead is a sweet ass title. It gives me wood.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 25 2009, 08:05 AM)
Currently watching the "Gretchen Goes to London" DVD

Bloody hell, it's good........

I'm about to order that........don't know why I waited so damn long!

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Mar 1 2009, 04:39 PM)
I'm playing XV, and thinking how fantastic it is. This is what a rock album should sound like. yes.gif

Great album........their best in a long time.......

http://www.kingsxrocks.com/

Woohoo!

Kings X, the most underrated band on the planet are touring again, and this time Mr and Mrs Fridge are crossing the pond to take in the Milwaukee and Chicago gigs.

Any other Trfers going to any of these?

We're quite friendly, we buy beer and the abuse is free! biggrin.gif

^yeah, I noticed they have a ton of gigs coming up. If they come to town I will go.

thu 05/28/09 San Antonio, TX Jack's Patio Bar & Grill

Fri 05/29/09 Helotes, TX Josabi's

Sat 05/30/09 Houston, TX The Meridian

Mon 06/01/09 Austin, TX Red Eyed Fly

Tue 06/02/09 El Paso, TX Club 101

Thu 06/04/09 San Diego, CA Brick By Brick

Fri 06/05/09 West Hollywood, CA Key Club

Sat 06/06/09 Santa Ana, CA Galaxy Concert Theatre

Mon 06/08/09 Portland, OR Berbati's Pan

Tue 06/09/09 Seattle, WA El Corazon

Wed 06/10/09 Coeur D Alene, ID The Grail

Fri 06/12/09 Salt Lake City, UT Club Vegas

Sat 06/13/09 Denver, CO Owsley's Golden Road

Fri 06/19/09 Sioux Falls, SD Nutty's

Sat 06/20/09 Fargo, ND The Venue @ The Hub Entertainment Complex

Wed 06/24/09 Des Moines, IA House Of Bricks

Fri 06/26/09 Milwaukee, WI Shank Hall

Sat 06/27/09 Chicago, IL Double Door

Appearing at "Stars & Stripes Festival"

Sun 06/28/09 Mount Clemens, MI Downtown

Wed 07/01/09 Little Rock, AR Juanita's Cantina Ballroom

Sun 08/09/09 Burgettstown, PA Pepsi-Cola Roadhouse

Tue 08/11/09 New York, NY B.B. King Blues Club

Fri 08/14/09 Boston, MA Hard Rock Cafe

Sat 08/15/09 Southbridge, MA Artist Development Complex

Mon 09/21/09 Cleveland, OH TBA

Tue 09/22/09 Chicago, IL TBA

Thu 09/24/09 New York, NY TBA

Fri 09/25/09 New York, NY TBA

Sat 09/26/09 Philadelphia, PA TBA

Sun 09/27/09 Boston, MA TBA

Tue 09/29/09 Montreal, QC TBA

Wed 09/30/09 Toronto, ON TBA

Fri 03/19/10 Miami, FL TBA

Sat 03/20/10 Miami, FL TBA

Sun 03/21/10 Miami, FL TBA

Mon 03/22/10 Miami, FL TBA

^^^

uh oh, looks like the cleveland and chicago shows coincide with the upcoming Porcupine Tree tour?

PT dates

Tue 15 Sept: SEATTLE, WA - MOORE THEATER

Wed 16 Sept: PORTLAND, OR - ROSELAND

Fri 18 Sept: SAN FRANCISCO - WARFIELD

Sat 19 Sept: LOS ANGELES - CLUB NOKIA

Mon 21 Sept: CLEVELAND, OH - HOUSE OF BLUES

Tue 22 Sept: CHICAGO, IL - VIC THEATER

Thu 24 Sept: NY, NY - TERMINAL 5

Sat 26 Sept: PHILLY - ELECTRIC FACTORY

Sun 27 Sept: BOSTON, MA - HOUSE OF BLUES

Tue 29 Sept: MONTREAL - METROPOLIS

Wed 30 Sept: TORONTO - QUEEN ELIZABETH THEATRE

PT dates copied from PT thread here. Kings X dates from Pollstar.

edit-WTF it seems like more dates overlap, is Kings X opening for PT??

Edited by tangy

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 11 2009, 06:48 PM)

I think they are playing jointly.

As far as I am concerned, it should be Porcupine Tree opening for Kings X wink.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 11 2009, 02:15 PM)

As far as I am concerned, it should be Porcupine Tree opening for Kings X wink.gif

I had a feeling that you would be of that opinion, being the crazed hardcore fan that you are. Thats one hell of a journey to see a show! 1022.gif

If they are playing together thats the first time I heard it mentioned. Seemed like quite a coincidence when the dates overlapped.

After posting I realized you are going to the shows in June, not in september.

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 11 2009, 05:44 PM)
^yeah, I noticed they have a ton of gigs coming up. If they come to town I will go.

thu 05/28/09 San Antonio, TX Jack's Patio Bar & Grill

Fri 05/29/09 Helotes, TX Josabi's

Sat 05/30/09 Houston, TX The Meridian

Mon 06/01/09 Austin, TX Red Eyed Fly

Tue 06/02/09 El Paso, TX Club 101

Thu 06/04/09 San Diego, CA Brick By Brick

Fri 06/05/09 West Hollywood, CA Key Club

Sat 06/06/09 Santa Ana, CA Galaxy Concert Theatre

Mon 06/08/09 Portland, OR Berbati's Pan

Tue 06/09/09 Seattle, WA El Corazon

Wed 06/10/09 Coeur D Alene, ID The Grail

Fri 06/12/09 Salt Lake City, UT Club Vegas

Sat 06/13/09 Denver, CO Owsley's Golden Road

Fri 06/19/09 Sioux Falls, SD Nutty's

Sat 06/20/09 Fargo, ND The Venue @ The Hub Entertainment Complex

Wed 06/24/09 Des Moines, IA House Of Bricks

Fri 06/26/09 Milwaukee, WI Shank Hall

Sat 06/27/09 Chicago, IL Double Door

Appearing at "Stars & Stripes Festival"
Sun 06/28/09 Mount Clemens, MI Downtown

Wed 07/01/09 Little Rock, AR Juanita's Cantina Ballroom

Sun 08/09/09 Burgettstown, PA Pepsi-Cola Roadhouse

Tue 08/11/09 New York, NY B.B. King Blues Club

Fri 08/14/09 Boston, MA Hard Rock Cafe

Sat 08/15/09 Southbridge, MA Artist Development Complex

Mon 09/21/09 Cleveland, OH TBA

Tue 09/22/09 Chicago, IL TBA

Thu 09/24/09 New York, NY TBA

Fri 09/25/09 New York, NY TBA

Sat 09/26/09 Philadelphia, PA TBA

Sun 09/27/09 Boston, MA TBA

Tue 09/29/09 Montreal, QC TBA

Wed 09/30/09 Toronto, ON TBA

Fri 03/19/10 Miami, FL TBA

Sat 03/20/10 Miami, FL TBA

Sun 03/21/10 Miami, FL TBA

Mon 03/22/10 Miami, FL TBA

Hmmmmm....could do with a week in Miami.....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 11 2009, 01:15 PM)

No joint show, King's X will be the opener. So if it goes like previous PT tours King's X will get about an hour or so, then PT about 90 minutes to two hours.

I'm really looking forward to these shows, been wanting to see King's X for awhile now.

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Apr 11 2009, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 11 2009, 01:15 PM)

No joint show, King's X will be the opener. So if it goes like previous PT tours King's X will get about an hour or so, then PT about 90 minutes to two hours.

I'm really looking forward to these shows, been wanting to see King's X for awhile now.

Damn shame as IMO Kings X are the infinitely better band..

Luckily I am going to their solo shows

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 25 2009, 09:05 AM)
Currently watching the "Gretchen Goes to London" DVD

Bloody hell, it's good........

Schitt! Not only haven't I ever seen this band live, but I don't even have a single video torrent to represent at least one era of this band's live repertoire. Anyone know of something, anything worthwile?

Ok, just typing this while jetlagged to hell

What a fantastic couple of gigs, and the boys showed what gents they were again, making sure Margaret got her wheelchair right down the front.

Loads of highlights, including drinking with the Kings X crew till the early hours in Milwaukee, getting a signed setlist and drumsticks as well.

Will post more when I can think straight.....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 30 2009, 03:03 PM)

What a fantastic couple of gigs, and the boys showed what gents they were again, making sure Margaret got her wheelchair right down the front.

Loads of highlights, including drinking with the Kings X crew till the early hours in Milwaukee, getting a signed setlist and drumsticks as well.

trink39.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif yes.gif

you are a hard core fan!

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 30 2009, 08:03 PM)

Fantastic!!!

Delighted you both had a ball!

Ok, time for a few pics

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/100_1356.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/100_1355.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/100_1394.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/100_1353.jpg

Well, well....where to begin?

Gigs were fantastic, and the support band, Orange Sky from Trinidad were superb...check them out, they are ace.

At Milwaukee, Jerry recognised us and asked his drum tech (Chris) to make sure Margaret got her wheelchair at the front. Chris is a top bloke, and we got on very well with him, ending up drinking with him and the other guys in the crew till the small hours in the morning - Had a bit of a hangover in the morning though!

The next day at Chicago, we were made very welcome by the guys again, and looked after by Chris etc who got us backstage for a grandstand view. As usual the guysDug, Jerry and Ty were real gents and made a point of coming over to see us, giving Margaret a big hug each (made her day!)

Margaret spent ages talking with two blokes who turned out to be Dugs brother and uncle....

One beef....WTF is this nonsense about showing ID to get into a nightclub in the USA? I've never heard such tripe in my life! The douchebag at the door was going to deny us entrance (we didn't know we needed this) and turf a disabled woman out onto the street in a city we didn't know! I was getting very angry and we almost came to blows (it wouldn't have gone well with him), however, luckily the guys in the crew vouched for us and told the guy not to be so f***ing stupid...

Honestly though? it's a bit soviet style, isn't it?

Despite that, a great time was had by all, and in Chris I think we have made a real friend and will stay in touch...

Great snaps man. Jesus H, I'm seething with envy here!!!

They really are true gentlemen.

I hear you on the whole ID thing in the US. At Rush in NJ last year, the server asked me (6'2", bald, grey stubble) and Necromancer(19'8"(Canada hat added another mile) for ID. It's all about finding a bit of balance.

In Ireland, if you're 12, but you've got money, you're in!

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jul 1 2009, 03:48 PM)
Well, well....where to begin?

Gigs were fantastic, and the support band, Orange Sky from Trinidad were superb...check them out, they are ace.

At Milwaukee, Jerry recognised us and asked his drum tech (Chris) to make sure Margaret got her wheelchair at the front. Chris is a top bloke, and we got on very well with him, ending up drinking with him and the other guys in the crew till the small hours in the morning - Had a bit of a hangover in the morning though!

The next day at Chicago, we were made very welcome by the guys again, and looked after by Chris etc who got us backstage for a grandstand view. As usual the guysDug, Jerry and Ty were real gents and made a point of coming over to see us, giving Margaret a big hug each (made her day!)

Margaret spent ages talking with two blokes who turned out to be Dugs brother and uncle....

One beef....WTF is this nonsense about showing ID to get into a nightclub in the USA? I've never heard such tripe in my life! The douchebag at the door was going to deny us entrance (we didn't know we needed this) and turf a disabled woman out onto the street in a city we didn't know! I was getting very angry and we almost came to blows (it wouldn't have gone well with him), however, luckily the guys in the crew vouched for us and told the guy not to be so f***ing stupid...

Honestly though? it's a bit soviet style, isn't it?

Despite that, a great time was had by all, and in Chris I think we have made a real friend and will stay in touch...

We've got this thing called no underage drinking, and you can't get into a club to see a band unless you are 21 or with a parental unit.

21 is the drinking age. Kids try to sneak in all the time. Many clubs have been stung by the police and fined, so they card everybody.

I'm so used to it that I don't even think about it.