King's X

WCFIELDS

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 18 2009, 10:54 AM)
Well, I just got back from Germany last night after seeing the boys on Friday night.

Let me tell you, the gig was absolutely outstanding with a killer sound. Dougs voice was spot on and a lot of old classics were played. A thoroughly enjoyable night. probably one of the top three gigs I have ever been to, to be honest.

However, the highlight had to be after the show. As usual, they stopped for a while at the merch stall to chat with fans and sign stuff etc.

As some of you may know, my wife uses a wheelchair much of the time. When the boys saw that she couldn't get up to the raised platform to speak to them, they asked us to wait until after the signing session, then came down and spent what seemed like ages with us, posing for photographs and having a beer or two with us.They were extremely kind to Margaret, and I am very grateful to them for that. They made our night/week/month...hell, year!

All I can say is that they are three of the nicest guys I have ever met. They didn't have to do that and it confirms in spades the tales I have heard about them being gentlemen. Ty in particular, is very humble about his ability and they all still seem grateful to have so many fans...

For me, I had to keep mentally slapping myself in the face to stop being tongue-tied at the prospect of chatting to three of my musical heroes as if they were friends in the street laugh.gif

I have loads of pics and will post a few when I get the chance.

Doug, Gerry, and Ty, thanks for the music, thanks for being such awesome people and please stick around for a while yet.....

That is awesome. Like the title of your thread in Random, that IS how musicians should act.

I've heard the argument to the contrary too much. Yes, they deserve their private time... I don't think anyone should approach a famous person at a restraunt or when they're out with their family, but at venues or during anything associated with the actual business... they should be at the top of their game when it comes to dealing with their fans. yes.gif

I'm glad that you met a band that has that dignity and treated you so well. There's not a better feeling. no.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 18 2009, 09:54 AM)
Well, I just got back from Germany last night after seeing the boys on Friday night.

Let me tell you, the gig was absolutely outstanding with a killer sound. Dougs voice was spot on and a lot of old classics were played. A thoroughly enjoyable night. probably one of the top three gigs I have ever been to, to be honest.

However, the highlight had to be after the show. As usual, they stopped for a while at the merch stall to chat with fans and sign stuff etc.

As some of you may know, my wife uses a wheelchair much of the time. When the boys saw that she couldn't get up to the raised platform to speak to them, they asked us to wait until after the signing session, then came down and spent what seemed like ages with us, posing for photographs and having a beer or two with us.They were extremely kind to Margaret, and I am very grateful to them for that. They made our night/week/month...hell, year!

All I can say is that they are three of the nicest guys I have ever met. They didn't have to do that and it confirms in spades the tales I have heard about them being gentlemen. Ty in particular, is very humble about his ability and they all still seem grateful to have so many fans...

For me, I had to keep mentally slapping myself in the face to stop being tongue-tied at the prospect of chatting to three of my musical heroes as if they were friends in the street laugh.gif

Doug, Gerry, and Ty, thanks for the music, thanks for being such awesome people and please stick around for a while yet.....

Great story Fridgey, glad you had such a great night!

trink39.gif

Ok, as promised, some pics of myself, margaret and the boys. I have loads of action shots and vids which I will post a selection of when I get the chance

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/029.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/030.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/031.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/032.jpg

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 18 2009, 09:54 AM)

One of the best band/fan stories I've ever heard. Thanks for sharing it in both words and pictures. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 19 2009, 01:05 PM)
Ok, as promised, some pics of myself, margaret and the boys. I have loads of action shots and vids which I will post a selection of when I get the chance

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/029.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/030.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/031.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/032.jpg

Cool pics!

1022.gif

That is GREAT, I'm so glad for you!

However, it is not surprising at all to me.

They have been that way since the late 1980's when I met them at the Cubby Bear in Chicago.

I really started to get to know them after they opened for AC/DC on their Faith Hope Love tour. I was still a kid (first year of college I think) and we stood outside for a LONG time in the bitter cold. When Jerry found out that we had left the ACDC concert and were back by their bus the entire time, he immediately invited us on the bus. In that one night we spent on thir bus, the friendship grew and for years afterward we would hook up when they were in town.

Sadly my buddy and I got busy w/ other parts of our lives and I have not heard from or seen them in about 15 years.

I'll try to dig up some pics, some really funny ones from a chinese restaurant in Wrigleyville supporting their first album.

And a great pic of me and doug with David Letterman doing his top ten list on the TV in the background.

Isn't it great to know that YOU know a great band that almost no one else knows about?

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jan 21 2009, 02:49 AM)
That is GREAT, I'm so glad for you!

However, it is not surprising at all to me.
They have been that way since the late 1980's when I met them at the Cubby Bear in Chicago.
I really started to get to know them after they opened for AC/DC on their Faith Hope Love tour. I was still a kid (first year of college I think) and we stood outside for a LONG time in the bitter cold. When Jerry found out that we had left the ACDC concert and were back by their bus the entire time, he immediately invited us on the bus. In that one night we spent on thir bus, the friendship grew and for years afterward we would hook up when they were in town.
Sadly my buddy and I got busy w/ other parts of our lives and I have not heard from or seen them in about 15 years.
I'll try to dig up some pics, some really funny ones from a chinese restaurant in Wrigleyville supporting their first album.
And a great pic of me and doug with David Letterman doing his top ten list on the TV in the background.
Isn't it great to know that YOU know a great band that almost no one else knows about?

Great stories there mate...yes, it's like they're a well-kept secret isn't it?

Of course on talent alone, if there was any justice in the world they would be playing 40,000 seater arenas rather than smalle venues.

The fact that they are really nice people as well is a real bonus. After that experience, I would definitely travel to the USA/Canada to see them, which is something I wouldn't do for Rush nowadays......Oh, and yes, they were a good deal better than Rush live as well.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Jan 21 2009, 05:15 PM)
Fridge, I'm seeing them tomorrow in London - what are the setlist highlights?

(put Spoiler or PM me if you want)

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

For me, the highlights were:

What is this?

Over My head

Summerland

It's Love

WWBTBL

Black Flag

Dogman

Looking For Love

Groove Machine

The new ones from XV sounded excellent too....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 21 2009, 06:46 PM)

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

What is this?

Over My head

Summerland

It's Love

WWBTBL

Black Flag

Dogman

Looking For Love

Groove Machine

Can't complain about those......especially Summerland and What is This?....but obviously it's all good.

Is there a support band?

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Jan 21 2009, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 21 2009, 06:46 PM)

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

What is this?

Over My head

Summerland

It's Love

WWBTBL

Black Flag

Dogman

Looking For Love

Groove Machine

Can't complain about those......especially Summerland and What is This?....but obviously it's all good.

Is there a support band?

There was in Germany, but they were a local band...pretty good.

No idea about UK though. Does it say "Special Guests" on the ticket?

Here's some action shots from the gig

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/014-1.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/018-1.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/028.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/vlcsnap-90932.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/vlcsnap-92075.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/vlcsnap-95360.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/vlcsnap-95763.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/Fridge-1967/vlcsnap-95985.jpg

Greetings from Birmingham International Airport.

What a gig.

What a great bunch of guys.

What a great setlist.

Met Jerry & Dug afterwards, got my photo taken with Dug. Ticket autographed. They say never meet your heroes.

These guys are the exception to the rule.

When Summerland came on I thought my head was going to explode.

Oh, what a night.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 22 2009, 08:31 AM)
What a gig.
What a great setlist.

Met Jerry & Dug afterwards, got my photo taken with Dug. Ticket autographed. They say never meet your heroes.

Oh, what a night.

That is great! trink39.gif

King's X have to be some of the nicest musicians you could ever meet. They sometimes play requests too! ohmy.gif

King was not on their setlist when I saw them and I kept yelling for it. They did it as an encore! ohmy.gif

Can't find the video for it. Looks like it was taken down.

This tune is great!

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 23 2009, 05:54 AM)
What a gig.
What a great setlist.

Oh, what a night.

King's X have to be some of the nicest musicians you could ever meet. They sometimes play requests too! ohmy.gif

King was not on their setlist when I saw them and I kept yelling for it. They did it as an encore! ohmy.gif

This tune is great!

Hatchet, that is fantastic that you enjoyed the gig. They're a bit special live aren't they?

And you're right, Summerland was unbelievable, though my jaw dropped when they played Pleiades. Couldn't believe it. Amazing.

Please post your pics when you get the chance.

On the subject of requests, this girl in the audience yelled out "Rocket Ship". Dug seemed taken aback and said "Rocket Ship? Really?....Ok, for you, Rocket Ship" and they launched straight into it.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 23 2009, 08:28 AM)
What a gig.
What a great setlist.

Oh, what a night.

This tune is great!

Hatchet, that is fantastic that you enjoyed the gig. They're a bit special live aren't they?

And you're right, Summerland was unbelievable, though my jaw dropped when they played Pleiades. Couldn't believe it. Amazing.

On the subject of requests, this girl in the audience yelled out "Rocket Ship". Dug seemed taken aback and said "Rocket Ship? Really?....Ok, for you, Rocket Ship" and they launched straight into it.

So special. Could not get over the level of adoration, on both sides.

Will upload my snaps later on.

Jerry Cantrell is the coolest drummer I've ever seen! The way he hits the skins, like they're on fire and he's beating out the flames.

The crowd going "Je-rry, Je-rry" ala Mr. Springer was very funny.

Great drummer, with a very tidy little kit, like the venerable Mr. Watts.

My photo with Dug is a bit blurry sadly, a combination of nerves and whiskey shakes methinks.

Ty used one guitar all night. How's that for cool.

But what a gentleman.

Again, my thanks for getting me into this wonderful band.

And when the crowd sang Goldilox!

Another highpoint in a night packd with them.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2009, 11:38 AM)
What a gig.
What a great setlist.

Oh, what a night.

This tune is great!

Jerry Cantrell is the coolest drummer I've ever seen! The way he hits the skins, like they're on fire and he's beating out the flames.

My photo with Dug is a bit blurry sadly, a combination of nerves and whiskey shakes methinks.

But what a gentleman.

I'm just really glad you like them as much as me, mate...

yes, they genuinely seem to love their fans....the atmosphere can get quite emotional, can't it?

I just hope that next time they come over Instead of being offshore I can enjoy the gig with you yes.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 23 2009, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2009, 11:38 AM)
What a gig.
What a great setlist.

Oh, what a night.

This tune is great!

But what a gentleman.

I'm just really glad you like them as much as me, mate...

yes, they genuinely seem to love their fans....the atmosphere can get quite emotional, can't it?

I just hope that next time they come over Instead of being offshore I can enjoy the gig with you yes.gif

Without a shadow of a doubt, we will meet! Dug did say it wouldn't be as long next time. And I believe him! Well, I had a few drams of Lagavulin 16 year in your honour! Slainte Mhaith!

Didn't meet any TRFers sadly, there were a few Rush shirts though.

Met one diehard King's X fan, he was so passionate about them, a joy to behold.

Saw them in London last night.....went straight into my top 5 gigs of all time, maybe top 3. Hopefully they will capture the atmosphere on the dvd, although not quite sure how the venue will come across - the Electric Ballroom is not exactly easy on the eye.

They definitely get better as they get older. It's a tragedy and a mystery that they are not more successful but it does mean we get to see them up close and personal.

In addition to the old classics the new stuff stood up well, particularly Go Tell Somebody. In fact I did just that - I brought along a pal who had never heard of them until last week and he was mighty impressed.

It would be great if Rush did something on a smaller scale (maybe not as small as the Electric Ballroom!) and stripped down just for one tour - you definitely lose a lot of energy and atmosphere as gigs get bigger. Neil could play his Buddy Rich kit!

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Jan 23 2009, 02:20 PM)
It's a tragedy and a mystery that they are not more successful

This has me baffled too.

Their stuff is so devastatingly melodic, the albums are so consistently good, they should be squillionaires.

But, what I witnessed in Wolverhampton could not have been replicated in an arena or stadium.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2009, 02:49 PM)

This has me baffled too.

Their stuff is so devastatingly melodic, the albums are so consistently good, they should be squillionaires.

But, what I witnessed in Wolverhampton could not have been replicated in an arena or stadium.

Exactly.

It will always be one of these unexplained mysteries why they are not megastars. For example,if REM had recorded "Mississippi Moon" it would have been a worldwide smash, no question.....

However, whilst it is sad that they are not recognised further, it is very good news for us diehards that they are so accessible.

Saying that, I still believe they would be the same diamond geezers they are now, it would just be harder to meet them due to sheer volume of traffic.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 23 2009, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2009, 02:49 PM)

This has me baffled too.

Exactly.

It will always be one of these unexplained mysteries why they are not megastars. For example,if REM had recorded "Mississippi Moon" it would have been a worldwide smash, no question.....

However, whilst it is sad that they are not recognised further, it is very good news for us diehards that they are so accessible.

Saying that, I still believe they would be the same diamond geezers they are now, it would just be harder to meet them due to sheer volume of traffic.

It would be interesting to hear their take on it. Maybe their management made bad calls, wanted them to do something they did not want to do...

It's probably got a little to do with the religious image - people heard or saw the lyrics and thought "Whoa, Christian rock - ugh".

Also, to compare with Rush, they were probably similar in size and success after their 3rd album too. It's well documented that they were playing small venues, support etc. ('Down the Tubes Tour' etc. ) then 2112 happened. I think that was so special that it lifted them to a new level. I remember that on his Friday Rock Show on the radio Tommy Vance used to play the Top 10 favourite tracks of listeners at the end of each year and 2112 and later Xanadu used to regularly feature. That sort of thing makes you stand out from the rest and reach a whole new audience. That was also where I first came across 'Stargazer' and 'Stairway to Heaven'.

Bizarrely in Rush's case I think that even something as simple as the Starman logo helped a little. At school Rush fans loved to scrawl that on their books, bags etc. The similarity to the pentagram is a lot cooler than just a band name. Someone would say "Which band is that?" "It's Rush", "Who are they?" etc. etc. and before you know it another potential fan is listening to 2112. Ok it's not the main reason but small things like that add up.....