King's X

WCFIELDS

I gotta go see them, its been so long I wonder if they even remember me. I've been close the last couple times (showing my age here...) but they always play on a week night, and I don't do so well the next day at work!

Just a heads up... They now have a DVD out.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 6 2008, 01:14 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 4 2008, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 7 2007, 02:58 PM)
FHL definately isn't an album to turn people on to KX.....

Thought I'd dig up this thread. I've only heard FHL, and I think it's very good indeed. God only knows what I'll think of the others.

I also like FHL but agree it's probably not the best place to start.

I remember you saying you had ordered Gretchen Goes to Nebraska. I confidently predict you will be blown away utterly. It's simply phenomenal.

I'm going to see them in germany in january. Can't wait. trink38.gif

The London show is being folmed for a DVD, I'd love to take in that one. They are also playing Wolverhampton, so that would be easier, Ryanair and Aer Arann flights are handy for anywhere near Brum.

Gretchen has not arrived yet. Played Dogman yesterday, not too sure about that one, but it's early days!

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 7 2008, 12:17 AM)
Just got Ty's new album Balance........highly recomended. Awesome. One of his best (if not his best). Fridge, make sure you watch this guy live........he is a master. cool.gif

Been listening to Balance (cheers for that mate) and it is indeed awesome.

Tys guitar tone here simply defies description. It is incredible, and his playing is exquisite.

I just can't understand the love for bands like Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater et al, when a band of this magnitude gets overlooked....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 12 2008, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 7 2008, 12:17 AM)
Just got Ty's new album Balance........highly recomended. Awesome. One of his best (if not his best). Fridge, make sure you watch this guy live........he is a master.  cool.gif

I just can't understand the love for bands like Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater et al, when a band of this magnitude gets overlooked....

Me neither, especailly Porcupine Tree..........they bore me to tears BIG TIME (extremely overrated). Dream Theater I like though in small doses..........but yeah I agree with you.........

agreed 100%... i think Kings X are severly underrated, and dream theater overrated... Kings X have such a unique and interesting sound, not a single band that sounds like them

QUOTE (GhostRider712 @ Dec 13 2008, 12:32 AM)
agreed 100%... i think Kings X are severly underrated, and dream theater overrated... Kings X have such a unique and interesting sound, not a single band that sounds like them

goodpost.gif

(I didn't have to do that btw, I just wanted to make sure this most excellent band continue to get discussed and not buried amongst the rest of the dross) wink.gif

QUOTE (derekwall77 @ Dec 13 2008, 09:41 PM)
Absolutely brilliant band.
I'm hoping to hit up a few gigs in January.

Nice one.

I'm going to the one in Ascaffenburg, Germany on Jan 15th (couldn't get to the UK gigs as I will be offshore)

A friend, who is a big fan, gave me a copy of Dogman. I've only listened to it once, but I liked what I heard trink39.gif Good guitar work yes.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 14 2008, 02:29 AM)
Kings X rule so much, I can hardly contain myself at their amazing awesomeness.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Good man.

(provided of course you are not taking the piss 1287.gif )

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 14 2008, 02:26 PM)

Good man.

He is, he's just not very good at it, which is why it's hard to know either way...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 14 2008, 07:35 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 14 2008, 02:26 PM)

Good man.

He is, he's just not very good at it, which is why it's hard to know either way...

trink38.gif

Oh well...I'm sure he can console himself about his lack of piss-taking skills by listening to a nice, quality Justin Timberlake record... trink38.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 14 2008, 01:26 PM)

Good man.

No, it was a shot at me for what I posted in the Blur thread.........I think.

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Dec 13 2008, 04:31 PM)
A friend, who is a big fan, gave me a copy of Dogman. I've only listened to it once, but I liked what I heard  trink39.gif  Good guitar work  yes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycyI_HWrZQo

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This frigin' rocks.....

Who knew Jon Stewart had a show in 1994? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 29 2008, 09:47 AM)
Wonderful band! Go see them live if you can!

I am! smile.gif

Jan 16th in Ashaffenberg, Germany...can't wait

(Hope they don't get lost laugh.gif )

Well, I just got back from Germany last night after seeing the boys on Friday night.

Let me tell you, the gig was absolutely outstanding with a killer sound. Dougs voice was spot on and a lot of old classics were played. A thoroughly enjoyable night. probably one of the top three gigs I have ever been to, to be honest.

However, the highlight had to be after the show. As usual, they stopped for a while at the merch stall to chat with fans and sign stuff etc.

As some of you may know, my wife uses a wheelchair much of the time. When the boys saw that she couldn't get up to the raised platform to speak to them, they asked us to wait until after the signing session, then came down and spent what seemed like ages with us, posing for photographs and having a beer or two with us.They were extremely kind to Margaret, and I am very grateful to them for that. They made our night/week/month...hell, year!

All I can say is that they are three of the nicest guys I have ever met. They didn't have to do that and it confirms in spades the tales I have heard about them being gentlemen. Ty in particular, is very humble about his ability and they all still seem grateful to have so many fans...

For me, I had to keep mentally slapping myself in the face to stop being tongue-tied at the prospect of chatting to three of my musical heroes as if they were friends in the street laugh.gif

I have loads of pics and will post a few when I get the chance.

Doug, Gerry, and Ty, thanks for the music, thanks for being such awesome people and please stick around for a while yet.....

Edited by Fridge

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 18 2009, 09:54 AM)
Well, I just got back from Germany last night after seeing the boys on Friday night.

Let me tell you, the gig was absolutely outstanding with a killer sound. Dougs voice was spot on and a lot of old classics were played. A thoroughly enjoyable night. probably one of the top three gigs I have ever been to, to be honest.

However, the highlight had to be after the show. As usual, they stopped for a while at the merch stall to chat with fans and sign stuff etc.

As some of you may know, my wife uses a wheelchair much of the time. When the boys saw that she couldn't get up to the raised platform to speak to them, they asked us to wait until after the signing session, then came down and spent what seemed like ages with us, posing for photographs and having a beer or two with us.They were extremely kind to Margaret, and I am very grateful to them for that. They made our night/week/month...hell, year!

All I can say is that they are three of the nicest guys I have ever met. They didn't have to do that and it confirms in spades the tales I have heard about them being gentlemen. Ty in particular, is very humble about his ability and they all still seem grateful to have so many fans...

For me, I had to keep mentally slapping myself in the face to stop being tongue-tied at the prospect of chatting to three of my musical heroes as if they were friends in the street laugh.gif

Doug, Gerry, and Ty, thanks for the music, thanks for being such awesome people and please stick around for a while yet.....

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

that really cool! Glad you had such a good time.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 18 2009, 02:54 PM)

That is f***ing brilliant Fridge, so delighted for you and your good lady!!!

My appetite for Wolverhampton is now well and truly whetted!!

(Shame you're offshore etc.....)