The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 19 2007, 06:11 PM)
8 miles last night, easy pace 1hr 15 mins. Prevented me from sleeping well though.

Next time stop running before you try to get to sleep.

I need to go run...maybe posting this will kick my butt out the door...

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2007, 04:01 PM)

Use Neil as a pacemaker after the Vegas gig...I bet you can't catch him though...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 23 2007, 04:08 PM)

Use Neil as a pacemaker after the Vegas gig...I bet you can't catch him though...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Betcha I could. yes.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2007, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 23 2007, 04:08 PM)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Betcha I could. yes.gif

No, he'd jump in his limo after 250 yards and you'd be still building up your pace...

- Neil to GG in the back window as it speeds away to his hotel >>> bekloppt.gif

Had to dig this thread up and dust it off...

Well, I now have two 5K runs under my belt. I trained hard for the first one. It was in May, and I ran it in 30:14. The next run was in October, and I barely trained at all. I didn't get an official time, but between starting off with a slow-running friend and the lack of training, it took me over 30 minutes to do this one...

So, I'm determined to do better on the next run, which is Dec. 8. Today I ran the course (it's here on campus) and I finished in 27:37. smile.gif So, at least I'm improving.

Got my shirt and number for tomorrow's 5K - very rough training week this week, though. I didn't feel well and as a consequence didn't train enough.

But...we'll see how it goes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/1207071118.jpg

Finished the race in 30:36. About 3 minutes past what I was aiming for, but after a bad training week, an infected finger, and getting stitches in my side about 5 times during the race, I guess that wasn't terrible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/5K/1208071003a.jpg

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 11 2007, 01:53 PM)
Finished the race in 30:36.  About 3 minutes past what I was aiming for, but after a bad training week, an infected finger, and getting stitches in my side about 5 times during the race, I guess that wasn't terrible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/5K/1208071003a.jpg

You didn't train well the week before, had an infection, slowed down by stitches FIVE times during the race and still finished at just over 30 minutes? Yeah, I'd say you did great! biggrin.gif

Bump for new and improved running discussions.

Janie, I usually feel great after a run. I can't say I love it from the moment I start, though. In fact, usually for the first mile I'm muttering "I hate this, I hate this, I hate this" under my breath. laugh.gif If it's a good day, I get into it and finish strong. I do have my bad days, though, when I never get into a good pace or breathing rhythm, and I end up feeling BLECH.

I got really into it a little over a year ago and thought I'd never stop - but I did, for various reasons, culminating in my knee injury.

I felt great after Friday's run, however - so I'm trying to stay re-re-re-motivated. smile.gif

Thanks for bumping this GG! I didn't know this thread existed. I know there are a few of us runners here so this is awesome!

I have to say, for the most part, it's rare for me to not want to go out running. The other day I was extraordinarily tired and it took me a long time to find my pace. I like to find my pace within 6-8 blocks. I always end my run though with a really strong pace. When I run every day, I run on the slow, steady side but in a race, I definitely race and have a much faster pace and like to find and keep my run steady throughout. Although I always sprint the last 4+ blocks in a race, at least. Hearing the crowds at the finish line definitely helps!

I'm running seven miles now every morning and I know I should keep that distance for a while because I haven't plateaued BUT I'm not exhausted when I finish. That's what I like. I want to come home commando crawling my way through the front door. So I'm holding off on bumping up to eight miles for another month or two.

The big goal is to run a marathon next year. I'm planning on running a half marathon in September so we'll see how that goes...

That's great about the marathon! I know you can do it.

I don't think I'm cut out to be a distance runner. I really don't have the time to put in a lot of training.

I've always enjoyed exercising, and have been pretty active most of my life. I cheered in high school and played a little tennis in college (just for fun). I used to walk as my main form of exercise, but got into running when I worked with some guys who were runners.

I've stuck to running simply because it's such good exercise - I feel like I'm making the most of my very limited time by choosing running over some other form of exercise.

I've always been active too. I played tennis for a few years and took lessons and was pretty good but haven't played for a very long time. GAAC actually has me interested in trying my hand at golf. I want to find something else (along with the running) "active" to do. I'm contemplating joining a gym and one girlfriend mentioned wanting to do pilates... Running is my top sport though. I like getting outdoors to run (the treadmill did nothing for me and I saw virtually no results). The fresh air and all that stuff. wink.gif

Okay. unsure.gif

For school next year I apparently need to start running; I want to get

in to military co-op and you need to be able to run... so my goal is

going to be like, 5km by the end of the summer. [At least - I've just

always had problems with running..]

Do you guys have any tips for me to start? I've never been any good

at running; but I really need to work at this. I'm thinking of starting at

a lower distance.... and probably doing it 3 or 4 times a week, and work

my way up. Is that the way to go? And too, does it really matter if it

is on a treadmill or outdoors?

I always get incredibly bored running....I've tried several times to start

this 'program' already....I just get half way through and then stop because

I'm so bored....but hopefully ya'll get get me excited so I can get this started.

Thanks smile.gif

Edited by padfoot

QUOTE (Janie @ Jun 22 2008, 06:34 AM)
I've always been active too. I played tennis for a few years and took lessons and was pretty good but haven't played for a very long time. GAAC actually has me interested in trying my hand at golf. I want to find something else (along with the running) "active" to do. I'm contemplating joining a gym and one girlfriend mentioned wanting to do pilates... Running is my top sport though. I like getting outdoors to run (the treadmill did nothing for me and I saw virtually no results). The fresh air and all that stuff.  wink.gif

I see our running topic has moved laugh.gif Anyway Janie, to answer your question. Yes, I feel that I can start running everyday if I wanted to at this point. Last friday was my best day since getting back into it. I have a stairstepper that really helped speed up the recovery after surgery. I like to run and try to do it daily if possible. At my age any distance is a bonus for me biggrin.gif

Cool, I didn't know we had a runners' thread. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (padfoot @ Jun 22 2008, 07:18 AM)
Okay. unsure.gif

For school next year I apparently need to start running; I want to get
in to military co-op and you need to be able to run... so my goal is
going to be like, 5km by the end of the summer. [At least - I've just
always had problems with running..]

Do you guys have any tips for me to start? I've never been any good
at running; but I really need to work at this. I'm thinking of starting at
a lower distance.... and probably doing it 3 or 4 times a week, and work
my way up. Is that the way to go? And too, does it really matter if it
is on a treadmill or outdoors?

I always get incredibly bored running....I've tried several times to start
this 'program' already....I just get half way through and then stop because
I'm so bored....but hopefully ya'll get get me excited so I can get this started.

Thanks smile.gif

Yes, it is good to start off slow, especially if you do not like running. Like anything, if your not into it and you rush it you will get frustrated and stop. Just do a little at a time, even if you need to walk/jog at first. Then gradually run more as time goes by. Also, never force yourself to go if your really not into it. Do something else instead like hiking, swimming ect.. Since you get bored while running, try and focus on other things such as your goals or something your really looking forward to, that seems to help me. As far as treadmills go I do not own one, I prefer a stairstepper. It seems to help me allot more. The nice thing about indoor exercise equipment is when the weather is bad out, you have an alternative to staying active. I am sure others here will give there opinions also. Good luck and keep us posted. biggrin.gif