Grace Under Pressure Album Cover

mfratt

I did the album cover in 1986 for my senior high school art class in watercolors. I got an honorable mention. It's still hanging on my wall in my office.

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

I swear to you. It's on my wall in my office. I didn't include the broken "airplane wing." If I can take a pic on my iPhone and send on here somehow I will.

I'm not on any social media except here. I"m old school and I am not tech savvy but I know how to type the hype. LOL

RUSH ON!

• Like 1

I kind of wish the record company would have assented to the original cover, which featured a greased naked woman in all fours with a black glove extended in front of her.

It was already a compromise, you should have seen what they wanted to do.

• Like 1

I did the album cover in 1986 for my senior high school art class in watercolors. I got an honorable mention. It's still hanging on my wall in my office.

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

I swear to you. It's on my wall in my office. I didn't include the broken "airplane wing." If I can take a pic on my iPhone and send on here somehow I will.

I'm not on any social media except here. I"m old school and I am not tech savvy but I know how to type the hype. LOL

RUSH ON!

Send me the pic in an email and I can post it here!

From Louder Magazine.

The 11 best Rush album covers by band Art Director, Hugh Syme

2. GRACE UNDER PRESSURE (1984)

By now, we had really hit our stride as band and art director. I was really enjoying the process of how Neil and I could discuss, and jam on ideas. Sometimes with immediate yields, and sometimes only finding the first of many. My initial inclination was to venture into an ultra minimal, almost ECM jazz label feel (I was listening to a lot of Keith Jarrett at that time), and in that cover’s frame, depict a field of a heavy tone over a calmer hue, so we would have pressure weighing down on grace. Sky and water. That’s when it occurred to me that this could also be a fraction with p/g (literally “p” over “g”). Then, as the evening and the Armagnac took effect, we found ourselves heading into a more metaphorical, surreal direction for the final themes of the painting. I also enjoyed that process … painting. Something we only ventured into a few times hence. I still have the working sketch that I did that evening on a paper napkin.

In relation from Udiscovermusic.

Best ECM Albums: 50 Must-Hear Classics From The Legendary Jazz Label

In my opinion, the album covers similar in vibe to Grace Under Pressure from the Best ECM Albums article are the following:

Chick Corea ‎– Return To Forever (1972)

Gary Burton / Chick Corea ‎– Crystal Silence (1973)

Dave Liebman ‎– Lookout Farm (1974)

John Abercrombie, Ralph Towner ‎– Sargasso Sea (1976)

Terje Rypdal ‎– After The Rain (1976)

Julian Priester And Marine Intrusion ‎– Polarization (1977)

The Gary Burton Quartet* With Eberhard Weber ‎– Passengers (1977)

I bet Hugh was listening to Keith Jarrett's - The Köln Concert (1975) for musical inspiration at the time.

Edited by RushFanForever

Ever since that record came out I thought that 'wing' was to represent KAL 007.

Rod asked my question of Hugh Syme in his recent interview - turns out that the wing is just a geometric shape Hugh painted in.

So that answers THAT question.

I can't help but think though "But...... ...but... this was painted the same time the Soviets shot down that plane... so????? "