the underrated side of zeppelin

fledgehog

The whole ripping-off thing doesn't bother me at all either...I'm actually glad they did it, because then whenever any of my friends who only listen to classic rock say that all new bands are derivative, I have something to hold over their heads.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 23 2007, 08:11 PM)
The whole ripping-off thing doesn't bother me at all either...I'm actually glad they did it, because then whenever any of my friends who only listen to classic rock say that all new bands are derivative, I have something to hold over their heads.

Besides that, improvements can be made [within reason] a la Harrison song over the Chiffons smile.gif

Those old boys on the Mississippi Delta are probably owed $4 billion in royalties...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 23 2007, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 23 2007, 03:19 PM)
I think the criticism is not that Zeppelin is underrated, it's that they "did not give credit where credit is due."  To say the least, Zep does owe a considereable debt to all those great blues artists (not to mention Jeff Beck).  With that said, they are a phenomenal band.  I love every album, but as for their latter stuff I've always has a soft spot for In Through the Out Door/I].  "Carouselambra" is one of my favorite Zep songs.

Theres a whole lot of bands that didnt give credit to their blues and rock influences smile.gif

Actually, Zeppelin was sued successfully by Willie Dixon over Whole Lotta Love (talk about one of their most overrated songs). The courts gave him credit, even if Zeppelin didn't. Thankfully they did branch out and put out a lot of great stuff.

I've said this before, but I am just amazed at how many new songs I hear that sound like an older song. I think it's worse today. And the original artists never seem to get credit for it.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 23 2007, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 23 2007, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 23 2007, 03:19 PM)
I think the criticism is not that Zeppelin is underrated, it's that they "did not give credit where credit is due."  To say the least, Zep does owe a considereable debt to all those great blues artists (not to mention Jeff Beck).  With that said, they are a phenomenal band.  I love every album, but as for their latter stuff I've always has a soft spot for In Through the Out Door/I].  "Carouselambra" is one of my favorite Zep songs.

Theres a whole lot of bands that didnt give credit to their blues and rock influences smile.gif

Actually, Zeppelin was sued successfully by Willie Dixon over Whole Lotta Love (talk about one of their most overrated songs). The courts gave him credit, even if Zeppelin didn't. Thankfully they did branch out and put out a lot of great stuff.

I've said this before, but I am just amazed at how many new songs I hear that sound like an older song. I think it's worse today. And the original artists never seem to get credit for it.

ARe you derregating RP giving "every inch of his love"????????

Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 23 2007, 08:08 PM)
There is no "underrated" Zeppelin for me...at least in Portland, our classic rock station has EVERY Zeppelin song on heavy rotation. Literally, I have never come across a Zeppelin song they haven't played like 50 times. And I have and know all of their work.

I do tend to prefer their more esoteric folky material to the Stairway/Whole Lotta Love/Immigrant Song type stuff, but Zeppelin gets pretty much zero play from me these days. Great music, but I've heard it all way too much, and not a lot of it holds up for me anymore.

I couldn't have said it better myself. You could have added that they didn't reproduce their studio work very well live.

And yes fledgy, Presence is also my fav.

No Quarter would be my fav song, and the only song worth listening to from "The Song Remains the Same."

Up until last week I would have agreed whole-heartedly that Led Zep is/was overrated. But, I happened to have watched, courtesy of Troutman :hug2: , a dvd of several of their concerts from 1970 up to and including 1979. I was genuinely blown away. I never knew they were that great.

Now I understand all the "Jimmy Page is the best guitarist - no he's not - yes he is - he's not - he is - not - is" fights between men that I sat in on for decades.

Jimmy Page was absolutely amazing. It's one thing to put on an album and listen to them. It's another to watch them perform on stage.

I attribute my new-found admiration and appreciation of Jimmy Page as a guitarist to the fact that I have learned a lot about music on this forum. Many have very patiently taken the time with me to give detailed answers to my many questions about playing instruments (be it a guitar or bass or drums) - even if I asked the same thing over and over because I forget I had asked it before.

• Like 3

Up until last week I would have agreed whole-heartedly that Led Zep is/was overrated. But, I happened to have watched, courtesy of Troutman :hug2: , a dvd of several of their concerts from 1970 up to and including 1979. I was genuinely blown away. I never knew they were that great.

Now I understand all the "Jimmy Page is the best guitarist - no he's not - yes he is - he's not - he is - not - is" fights between men that I sat in on for decades.

Jimmy Page was absolutely amazing. It's one thing to put on an album and listen to them. It's another to watch them perform on stage.

I attribute my new-found admiration and appreciation of Jimmy Page as a guitarist to the fact that I have learned a lot about music on this forum. Many have very patiently taken the time with me to give detailed answers to my many questions about playing instruments (be it a guitar or bass or drums) - even if I asked the same thing over and over because I forget I had asked it before.

I have all of Zeps albums and always loved them (except ITTOD). I had one shot in high school (77') to go see them and I passed. Geez what was I thinking?... :smash:
  • Like 2

I have all of Zeps albums and always loved them (except ITTOD). I had one shot in high school (77') to go see them and I passed. Geez what was I thinking?... :smash:

I tried to think why I never went to see them back in the seventies, and I think it was because tickets were usually sold out in one day and I wasn't the type to camp out overnight in line just so I could get a ticket to a concert. I'm sorry though that I never went to see them.

Like I said, listening to them was one thing, but actually watching them on stage do the songs (especially Kashmir) was quite the experience - even if it was only a dvd I was watching. Robert Plant was quite the showman and front man - a lot like Geddy in that way - both true performers.

But it was Jimmy Page that absolutely amazed me. And I don't think I would have been so amazed had it not been for all I've learned on here about music.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I tried to think why I never went to see them back in the seventies, and I think it was because tickets were usually sold out in one day and I wasn't the type to camp out overnight in line just so I could get a ticket to a concert. I'm sorry though that I never went to see them.

Like I said, listening to them was one thing, but actually watching them on stage do the songs (especially Kashmir) was quite the experience - even if it was only a dvd I was watching. Robert Plant was quite the showman and front man - a lot like Geddy in that way - both true performers.

But it was Jimmy Page that absolutely amazed me.

Page is amazing no doubt. He is quite the showman as well. Great rhythm section in that band though keeping it all together. The understated JPJ and of course John Bonham. Anything I have watched live from them it is hard to take your eyes off the front men but I like to pay attention to Jones and Bonham as well. They are working their butts off back there to keep it together. They were awesome indeed....
  • Like 3

But it was Jimmy Page that absolutely amazed me.

Page is amazing no doubt. He is quite the showman as well. Great rhythm section in that band though keeping it all together. The understated JPJ and of course John Bonham. Anything I have watched live from them it is hard to take your eyes off the front men but I like to pay attention to Jones and Bonham as well. They are working their butts off back there to keep it together. They were awesome indeed....

I've watched the dvd twice. The more I watch, the more I notice, just like with the Rush videos.

One of the great things about the dvd is that you can see the progression in their looks and demeanor and showmanship from 1970 - when Robert Plant was still not accustomed to his beinig part of the #1 rock band and his performance on-stage was still shy (he has a beautiful smile) - to 1973 and then 1975 and finally 1979, and Jimmy Page had lost so much weight due to his heroin addiction and was so into his playing.

If anyone here likes LZ and doesn't have the dvd simply entitled Led Zeppelin, get it. You won't be sorry.

• Like 1

I've been a huge Zeppelin fan forever.

You need to check out "How the West Was Won".

Great stuff!

Fantastic, yes!

No video content, that I'm aware of, but a fantastic document of their U.S. tour in the summer of 1972.

• Like 1

I always liked them too, and can still remember exactly where I was when I heard their entire first album in early May 1969, but watching them in this dvd they put out was an experience. Kind of late for me to get gushy about Led Zep, but better late than never.
  • Like 1

"Overrated"? Along with The Beatles, greatest band ever in my mind. Only other bands with a reasonable claim to compete for the title would be The Who and Pink Floyd (I love early Stones but after that don't think much of them, at least their output; can't argue that they are maybe the greatest touring band of all time, along with the Dead and Rush maybe).

So...nearly impossible to overrate them to me, Like The Beatles, they spawned a whole genre of imitators, none of which ever came close to their irrepeatable majesty. Along with The Beatles, they tower above all! That's the Way, it is.

Re the underrated part, ITTOD has always seemed underrated to me. Presence seemed to me back in the day when Zeppelin was still kind of a contemporary band, and people seemed to think it was an unexciting follow-up to the amazing PG (PG was never underrated that I could tell) but now it has a pretty strong following (an article in a Rolling Stone retrospective called it their best album, for example). So, I think the only part of Zeppelin's catalogue that's underrated is ITTOD. I love it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51l6eWaKdNL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71TilHtNMBL._SL1256_.jpg

That's the one! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Jimmy was the one who put this all together, and he did quite a good job. Kashmir is exceptional.

I have some great sounding boots .

I'll get the titles and post them here or burn copies for you if you are interested.