the underrated side of zeppelin

fledgehog

I'm sure you all know this already, but I was surprised to read that Robert Plant wrote Thank You for his wife. That's a beautiful song.

Indeed. Her name was Maureen.

I just about almost NEVER see Night Flight praised on te Internet or hear it on radio. I love that song and it's feel good vibe with the organ.

It's a lot of fun to play, too.

I just about almost NEVER see Night Flight praised on te Internet or hear it on radio. I love that song and it's feel good vibe with the organ.

It's a lot of fun to play, too.

One of my fav's. Edited by goose

I heard it on the radio once at like, 1 in the morning. seems like classic rock radio's more willing to pull out deeper cuts when no one's actually listening

• Like 1

I heard it on the radio once at like, 1 in the morning. seems like classic rock radio's more willing to pull out deeper cuts when no one's actually listening

Middle of the night when they're all alone and smokin' a jay...
  • Like 1

"Fool in the Rain" - Bonham's shuffle out shuffles Bernard Purdie. My fav Bonham performance.

:o

I don't know how I missed this post, a few days ago. Out-shuffling Bernard Purdie? I don't know...it is a GREAT performance, to be sure. Excellent choice.

But I think I'd still take Home at Last over Fool in the Rain. Especially during the outro/fade-out, when Purdie is swinging on the snare, the ride, the hi-hat and the kick drum, all together...it just blows me away, every time I hear it.

My favourite Bonham performance, though, is Achilles Last Stand, no question.

• Like 1

Great tune...

Middle of the night when they're all alone and smokin' a jay...

Yeah this is not 1975.

fritz44

I love III - it's just different, and it contains Gallows Pole - enough said already!

Somewhere a few pages back it was mentioned that LZ ripped off many artists and didn't give credits where due.

Gallows Pole is a classic case of this. to my knowledge (and I more than likely could have missed it over the years) is a classic cover from "LeadBelly" (who actually penned many classics that became famous many years later)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Belly

cheers

• Like 1

fritz44

I love III - it's just different, and it contains Gallows Pole - enough said already!

Somewhere a few pages back it was mentioned that LZ ripped off many artists and didn't give credits where due.

Gallows Pole is a classic case of this. to my knowledge (and I more than likely could have missed it over the years) is a classic cover from "LeadBelly" (who actually penned many classics that became famous many years later)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Belly

cheers

That same album has the track Hats Off to (Roy) Harper. Puts a bit of a hole in the "uncredited ripoff" argument.

That same album has the track Hats Off to (Roy) Harper. Puts a bit of a hole in the "uncredited ripoff" argument.

true, i wasn't making a blanket statement of ripping off artists I was saying that more to the fact that much of what we like today has emerged from past artists, My meaning didn't come out as i was trying to project it. evolution of artists from the skiffle bands copying who they heard to what they created from the influences growing up.

sorry for any misconceptions i may have presented.

Edited by ru_ready

"Fool in the Rain" - Bonham's shuffle out shuffles Bernard Purdie. My fav Bonham performance.

:o

I don't know how I missed this post, a few days ago. Out-shuffling Bernard Purdie? I don't know...it is a GREAT performance, to be sure. Excellent choice.

But I think I'd still take Home at Last over Fool in the Rain. Especially during the outro/fade-out, when Purdie is swinging on the snare, the ride, the hi-hat and the kick drum, all together...it just blows me away, every time I hear it.

My favourite Bonham performance, though, is Achilles Last Stand, no question.

That was my thought too. I mean, it's a great shuffle, but out shuffling Bernie??? Let's not get carried away. Jeff Porcarro did a great one for Rosanna too (better than Bonzo's, imo), and he put a hand jive over it.

But, Bernie's groove is sublime :notworthy:

I agree about Achilles Last Stand, Blue J. Bonzo at his best. :ebert:

I've started more than one heated argument with my claim that Jimmy Page never played an original riff in his life. But, he is a great Blues interpreter and one of the finest studio guitarists of his era and a true icon. A great player.

Kind of a funny thread title ... there's an underrated side to Led Zeppelin??? :unsure:

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 1

"Southampton 1973 - The Old Refectory, Southampton University, 22 January 1973"

Listening to this right now (thanks so much for the link to the download, RGLT)...it does sound incredible.

It is evident that the mastering job being done on it has been left incomplete...but it sounds fantastic nonetheless.

I think maybe their most under rated is "In through the Out door." It's probably not my favorite but I like it a lot because it really sounds like they took chances on that one. Unfortunately it was their last proper album. While all LZ albums are varied to some extent they really pushed the boundaries of what was expected of them on this one. As such they probably lost a lot of fans or at least a lot of their fans probably didn't like it. It's usually not ranked very high but I really like it for what it is. Again not my favorite but I think it's probably their most underappreciated along with Presence.
  • Like 1

Poor Tom has one of my favorite Bonham beats ever. I don't know if it was originally just an exercise, or something they looped to make the song after his death, but that is one cool beat.
  • Like 1

Poor Tom has one of my favorite Bonham beats ever. I don't know if it was originally just an exercise, or something they looped to make the song after his death, but that is one cool beat.

:yes: