the underrated side of zeppelin

fledgehog

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51l6eWaKdNL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71TilHtNMBL._SL1256_.jpg

That's the one! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Jimmy was the one who put this all together, and he did quite a good job. Kashmir is exceptional.

I have some great sounding boots .

I'll get the titles and post them here or burn copies for you if you are interested.

Listen to This Eddie recorded by Mike MIllard. Jimmy Page used this boot on the DVD!

"Fool in the Rain" - Bonham's shuffle out shuffles Bernard Purdie. My fav Bonham performance.

Did you get the Deluxe In Through the Outdoor?

Jimmy did a great job with the remasters.

Not yet. I'm content with my current Led Zeppelin discography.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51l6eWaKdNL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71TilHtNMBL._SL1256_.jpg

Jimmy was the one who put this all together, and he did quite a good job. Kashmir is exceptional.

I'll get the titles and post them here or burn copies for you if you are interested.

Listen to This Eddie recorded by Mike MIllard. Jimmy Page used this boot on the DVD!

Ehhmm...Listen to This Eddie was recorded at the L.A. Forum on June 21, 1977. Where is there anything from it on the officially-released DVD? (I have it, and I'm not aware of any of it on there at all).

Ehhmm...Listen to This Eddie was recorded at the L.A. Forum on June 21, 1977. Where is there anything from it on the officially-released DVD? (I have it, and I'm not aware of any of it on there at all).

It's there. Jimmy Page used it on the promos menu. "The Song Remains the Same", I think. You have to remember, it's an audio bootleg not a video bootleg!

^ I will have to put it on, because I don't recall that! Interesting.

Yes, I know that particular show very well. I'd say for audience recordings from the '70s, of any band, I've never heard a better one than that. And the performance is just astonishing.

These are the two shows I was referring to...

"Southampton 1973 - The Old Refectory, Southampton University, 22 January 1973" and "That's Alright New York - Madison Square Garden - New York City - 12 February 1975".

They could be released as is, they sound that good to me.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 1

"Southampton 1973 - The Old Refectory, Southampton University, 22 January 1973" and "That's Alright New York - Madison Square Garden - New York City - 12 February 1975".

Where did you get them?

• Like 1

Where did you get them?

A friend of mine shared them with me when I went through my recent Led Zeppelin marathon.
  • Like 1

Considering the source, this quote is funny. :LOL:

Guess which guitarist said this about Jimmy Page:

“As a player, [Page is] very good in the studio [but] I never saw him play well live. He’s very sloppy. He plays like he’s got a broken hand and he’s two years old.”
Edited by Lorraine

Guess what guitarist said this about Jimmy Page:

“As a player, [Page is] very good in the studio [but] I never saw him play well live. He’s very sloppy. He plays like he’s got a broken hand and he’s two years old.”

Eddie Van Halen?

Guess what guitarist said this about Jimmy Page:

Eddie Van Halen?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I've never heard the Southampton show, but that MSG '75 show is stupendous in sound, I agree! I have it under the title Flying Circus.

TRF's own custom55 attended that show. :)

• Like 1

I've never heard the Southampton show, but that MSG '75 show is stupendous in sound, I agree! I have it under the title Flying Circus.

Rumour is that this boot is the cleaned up version that Kevin Shirley worked on for an official release which was later scrapped.

Yeah, Custom's the man.

I sat in amazement (and a wee bit of jealousy) over drinks before the Rush show with him and listened to his recollections of the many incredible shows he's attended over the years.

I just kept saying, "wow", "wow, dude", "dude, wow".

• Like 2

Led Zeppelin - Old Refectory, University, Southampton, England, 22nd January 1973

Label: CMI Music

Recorded by Eddie Kramer

Mixed by Kevin Shirley

Source: rough multitrack mix-down

Remastered by CMI Music in August 2008

Lineage: EVSD Silver CD->FLAC->WAV->Remaster->FLAC

Total Time: 02:32:28

CD 1:

1. Rock And Roll (4:00)

2. Over The Hills And Far Away (6:07)

3. Black Dog (6:08)

4. Misty Mountain Hop (4:32)

5. Since I've Been Loving You (7:50)

6. Dancing Days (4:40)

7. The Song Remains The Same (6:09)

8. The Rain Song (8:42)

9. Dazed And Confused (28:50)

CD 2:

1. Stairway To Heaven (10:32)

2. Whole Lotta Love Medley (27:54)

~ Everybody Needs Somebody To Love

~ Boogie Chillun’

~ Baby I Don't Care

~ Let's Have A Party

~ I Can't Quit You Baby

3. Heartbreaker (12:15)

4. Organ Solo (3:25)

5. Thank You (9:28)

6. How Many More Times (8:30)

7. Communication Breakdown (3:28)

Comments from the source (not my comments):

"This is my remastered version of this great recording and is made using definitive raw version of this source from Empress Velley "Live At Southampton - Working Tapes" release.

For all who might doesn't know, first leaked R-O version is basically the EV version with some glitches already edited out and with some digital errors (bad CDR copy) on it in addition. "Dancing Days" track is an example.

I fixed all glitches and crackles. Also all three gaps in recording were fixed. No EQ and no Noise Reduction were aplied. Modern standart dynamic compression was applied, so now it sounds as loud and powerful as "How The West Was Won". All tracks are re-indexed.

• Like 2

More info on that Southampton 1973 show... The show finds the Zeppelin in a smaller venue on a small, carpeted stage. This seems to lend itself to the type of performance given that night - very relaxed, very loose, very cool. Sloppiness abounds, even on well-rehearsed long-time standards, and occasionally yields interesting differences. Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp was dropped out from the set for the second time during this tour. Of particular and special note is an off-hand performance of How Many More Times, which had been retired just over two years prior. You can hear the band play off of each other as they all take turns guiding the music's direction. Plant's voice is shot for most of the performance, typical for the time period. Page experiences sloppiness syndrome on occasion and keeps most of his solos a bit subdued. Bonham also seems to withhold some of the flair - extra fills and subtle nuances - for most of the show. Jones, however, other than a meandering introduction to Thank You, lays down his bass lines as excellently as ever.

The tape begins with a brief soundcheck before Rock and Roll crashes into motion. Plant bids the crowd "good evening" after Over the Hills and Far Away, adding "we're gonna have a good one tonight." Black Dog is utterly devastating. Page blazes through the guitar solo. Since I've Been Loving You is a bit shaky at times, but Page still manages to pull off some beautiful, bluesy passages. Plant introduces Dancing Days as "a song about school days and little boys who never grow up." As the song ends, someone in the crowd shouts "Whole Lotta Love!" to which Plant immediately responds "wrong!"

The Song Remains the Same is somewhat sloppy, Page's fingers get stuck in the strings quite a bit. The Rain Song is beautiful. Page plays a bit of Tarantella Napoletana as Plant jokes with the crowd before dedicating Dazed and Confused to the manager of the Gaumont Theatre, the venue at which the band had played the night before. The lead-in to the bow solo features an excellent frantic jam with Page soloing wildly as Bonzo and Jones hold down the funky rhythm. The band continues to experiment with the structure of the San Francisco interlude. Page shreds through the first guitar solo. His call and response with Plant is preceded by a great mellow, ethereal interlude. The Mars, the Bringer of War section is devastatingly heavy.

Page's fingers get a bit sticky during the guitar solo in Stairway to Heaven. As the song ends, Bonzo can be heard shouting "wunderbar!" As shouted requests pour in from the crowd, Plant introduces Whole Lotta Love as "something that might entice the nine-tenths male audience in this hall tonight to get up and be very groovy" before dedicating the song to Alan Whitehead, a gentleman whose name was found to be scrawled on the walls of the hall's bathroom. Bonzo thrashes wildly at anything within reach during a frenzied Everybody Needs Somebody to Love section. The riotous medley includes Boogie Chillen', an excellent rendition of Elvis Presley's (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care, an amazingly heavy rendition of Let's Have a Party, I Can't Quit You Baby, which features a fantastic blues improvisation, and Goin' Down Slow after a cut in the tape. Definitely a major highlight of the show.

Amidst a flurry of requests from the crowd (someone can be heard shouting for Beck's Bolero), Plant dedicated Heartbreaker to the band's publicist BP Fallon. Jones's bass cuts out within the first few bars, returning after the first verse, only to drop off once again soon after. Page's fingers get stuck in the strings during the a cappella solo. Bonzo provides a quaint bit of rhythmic accompaniment during The 59th Street Bridge Song interlude. Jones returns with a vengeance during the guitar solo section. Thank You is preceded by a sweeping orchestral Mellotron solo from Jones. Page's guitar solo is somewhat subdued, but Bonzo and Jones more than make up for it with their accompaniment.

The biggest surprise of the night is the first performance of How Many More Times since 9/19/1970, which Plant introduces as "one of our early tunes... god knows if we can remember it." The band is a bit rusty after not playing the song in over two years, but they make up for a lack of precision with power and enthusiasm. Plant sings the entire "when I was a young man, I couldn't resist..." interlude for the first time since 1/12/1969 as Page leads the band in an excellent stop-start jam on a heavy riff. The band skips the "Rosie" section, instead going directly into The Hunter. However, Plant urges Page to backtrack during the "got you in the sights..." section, resulting in some confusion and a repeat of The Hunter. After Plant fails to hit the final "gun!", Page jumps directly into Communication Breakdown. He absolutely shreds through the guitar solo. Plant exclaims "I wonder what James Brown said!" as the band gets into a brief funky breakdown. An explosive conclusion to a somewhat uneven performance. As the band leaves the stage, Plant says "and it's a thoroughly knackered goodnight."

The tape is an absolutely amazing mixdown of the multitrack masters. Simply outstanding.

• Like 2

Rumour is that this boot is the cleaned up version that Kevin Shirley worked on for an official release which was later scrapped.

Yeah, Custom's the man.

I sat in amazement (and a wee bit of jealousy) over drinks before the Rush show with him and listened to his recollections of the many incredible shows he's attended over the years.

I attended Rider College from 1973 - 1977. :codger: Rider is located near Trenton/Princeton NJ which is located between NYC and Philly. From 1973 - 1977, when Zeppelin was in either town, I saw there. I saw multiple Zep shows on the 73, 75 and 77 tours.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

Yeah, Custom's the man.

I attended Rider College from 1973 - 1977. :codger: Rider is located near Trenton/Princeton NJ which is located between NYC and Philly. From 1973 - 1977, when Zeppelin was in either town, I saw there. I saw multiple Zep shows on the 73, 75 and 77 tours.

See, this is exactly what I was talking about..."wow", "wow, dude", "dude, wow". :)