musical genre you hate !

Tick

what music makes you want to vomit the most ?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. what music makes you want to vomit the most ?

• country
    • rap
    • reggae
    • classical
    • disco
    • opera
    • speed metal
    • gregorian chant
    • bluegrass
    • r&b
    • jazz
    • adult contemperary
    • salsa
    • swing
    • world beat
    • folk
    • doo wop

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 25 2007, 08:45 PM)
I went with country. I just can't EVER think of a country song that didn't make me gag. Rap is close, but occassionally there's a Will Smith song, or Eminem tune that I can tolerate. Country just makes my ears bleed.

For the most part, I'm not a big country fan, but I've always enjoyed Robert Earl Keen... he isn't really country in the strict sense of the world, but that's what people say it sounds like when I play his music for them.

But Nashville Country and Western makes me violently ill. Ugh.

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 25 2007, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 25 2007, 06:42 PM)
Fridge, If you haven't been to one in ages, you won't know how fun they are! tongue.gif  So i'm guessing you don't like the indie-rave thing that seems to be sweeping across the UK?

I didn't even notice an Indie rave whatever sweeping the country to be honest, so i can't tell you whether i would like it or not.

Plus, I think at nearly 40 years old I would feel a bit of an old fart a rave, don't you? wink.gif

Might just be me then, or it's buried really deep underground. Which doesn't suprise me. Although, with the NME's hyping, it'll be 2007's new fad.

Haha, good point there. I did see a few 40 year olds at the last rave i went to, and they did look out of place. But when everyone's dancing, who cares?! laugh.gif

But i definitely see where you're coming from.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 25 2007, 09:45 PM)
I went with country. I just can't EVER think of a country song that didn't make me gag. Rap is close, but occassionally there's a Will Smith song, or Eminem tune that I can tolerate. Country just makes my ears bleed.

You mean Froggy 101 (of NEPA and The Office) isnt on your presets?

laugh.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 24 2007, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 24 2007, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 24 2007, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 05:53 PM)
To say...you don't like Rap or hip hop...because you just don't like it...and it's not for you...Thats ok.  Everyone has their tastes.  smile.gif

To say...you hate rap because it's garbage and it just guys talking with a beat, is just ignorant.

goodpost.gif

No its not. Its mindless guys (often) talking over a simple beat. It blows.

Tell me the beats on Paul's Boutique are "simple."

Oh OK. I stand corrected and will ammend my statement. While sometimes not simple rythmically, rap music blows. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 24 2007, 11:39 PM)
When it comes to rap I always go back to It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - it's one of the most brilliantly produced albums of all time. There's nothing simple about it, nothing sounded like it before it was released and everything sounded like it after it was released. Rap may not be everyone's cup of tea but anyone serious about music has to at least acknowledge some of the innovations and expressions it introduced as a genre. Rap is here to stay. Get use to it.

Get used to it? Hahahaaaa. Country is here today to stay too, the question was what do we hate, and I find rap to be shite. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 24 2007, 11:27 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 24 2007, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 05:53 PM)
To say...you don't like Rap or hip hop...because you just don't like it...and it's not for you...Thats ok.  Everyone has their tastes.  smile.gif

To say...you hate rap because it's garbage and it just guys talking with a beat, is just ignorant.

goodpost.gif

No its not. Its mindless guys (often) talking over a simple beat. It blows.

What's your beef with a simple beat? Why are fans of simple music and complex music always at war with each other? I'm a Crimhead, and I know you like King Crimson too, and one of the things I find utterly remarkable about them (and artists who follow in their footsteps like NIN or Primus) is their ability to radically juxtapose remarkably simple with remarkably complex music. The Court of the Crimson King, Red, The Sheltering Sky and THRAK are some of the simplest songs out there, easily simpler than any rap you hear on the radio and criticize for being too simple.

Simplicity in music is underrated among fans of complex music and vice versa. The reality is, both can rock and both can suck. I don't like prog because it's complex, I like it because it moves me. I don't like rap because it's simple, I like it because it moves me.

You don't dislike rap because it's simple, (to say that all rap is simple is a misconception anways) you dislike it because it fails to move you. You don't like simple Rush songs despite their simplicity, you like them because they move you.

The sooner everybody realizes that their tastes in music have more to do with taste and less to do with whether or not entire genres of music rock or suck as a whole, the sooner we can end this pointless debate about rap and fans can stop getting their backs up and offending each other.

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 24 2007, 12:34 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Feb 23 2007, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 05:40 PM)
Give your heads a shake, will ya???  There is a huge difference between the rap that YOU hear on the radio and rap/hip hop that is semi underground...or is underground (local).  You think K-Os is crap?  Just some guy talking with a beat?  Wake up. 

Those people on the radio?  Yeah they sold out.  THEY sold out to the industry.  Listen to something soulful... not the garbage you hear on the radio.  There are several rap/hip hop artists I could name that would be worth listening to.

I definitely agree with this. I used to think that all rap was the same gangsta-shit that is recycled over and over on MTV and the like. But after a Roots recommendation from both PuppetKing and my drumming teacher, I bought Phrenology and it's just really good. I've also heard a few tracks by The Beastie Boys which are really fun tunes.

Otherwise though, the gangster-rap is really, really bad shit.

On that list, I dislike most doo-wop (except for doo-wop songs from Zappa which are done tastefully), country, bluegrass, and Gregorian chant.

EDIT: BTW, I voted for Country. IMO, jazz, classical, and swing should not be on that list.

You should check out the bluegrass version of the Wall for a good laugh. Personally, I apreciate the musicianship of the genre, but it's much more tolerable live.

I love that album. Luther Wright and the Wrongs are great!

They should do Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, or even Piper at the Gates of Dawn! (IMFO, the greatest Pink Floyd album.) That'd be great! biggrin.gif

Bluegrass is great!

QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 26 2007, 06:47 PM)
The sooner everybody realizes that their tastes in music have more to do with taste and less to do with whether or not entire genres of music rock or suck as a whole, the sooner we can end this pointless debate about rap and fans can stop getting their backs up and offending each other.

I think you are taking this a bit seriously.

personally, I have far too much going on in my life to be offended by someone criticizing my taste in music. It's really not that important in the grand scheme of things.

However, seeing as I'm here, I'll respond to your point. You are quite correct, there is nothing wrong with simpicity at all. Some of the best songs ever contain three chords.

However, there needs to be melody, and I just don't hear it in rap. if you do, then fair play, I'm glad you enjoy it.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 26 2007, 09:53 AM)

personally, I have far too much going on in my life to be offended by someone criticizing my taste in music. It's really not that important in the grand scheme of things.

However, seeing as I'm here, I'll respond to your point. You are quite correct, there is nothing wrong with simpicity at all. Some of the best songs ever contain three chords.

However, there needs to be melody, and I just don't hear it in rap. if you do, then fair play, I'm glad you enjoy it.

goodpost.gif

I'll go a bit further here. I don't think a song HAS to have melody to be great. I like a lot of music that is intricate or spacy or weird that is not necessarily melodious, but I still like it nonetheless. Rap on the other hand I find almost no redeeming qualities in. Of course it's about taste, but my tastes allow me to say entire genres suck as a whole. Of course people are free to defend said genre, just as I am free to defend genres that they dismiss when I disagree . It's all just harmless banter in the end. No opinions are really being radically changed. At the end of the day people are gonna listen to and enjoy whatever they like no matter what anyone else says.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 23 2007, 10:37 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 23 2007, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 23 2007, 07:30 PM)
The Roots have a drummer? Is it like rock/rap?

No, they are a hip-hop group that happens to employ musicians rather than a DJ. Damn talented musicians at that. I saw them a few weeks ago, and it was one of the most fun shows I've ever been to.

Pretty much all of their albums are worth checking out, but my favorites are Do You Want More??!!!??? (1994), Things Fall Apart (1999), Phrenology (2002), and their latest, Game Theory (2006). Anyone in this thread, who says that rap "doesn't take any talent or musicianship," maybe try these guys out for size.

Damn. I am definetly going to have to check these guys out now.

I am glad somebody became enlightened by this otherwise pointless thread.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 26 2007, 12:53 PM)

I don't regard music any other way, my friend. Music my life. I wouldn't take it anything other than seriously.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 27 2007, 08:04 PM)

I don't regard music any other way, my friend. Music my life. I wouldn't take it anything other than seriously.

laugh.gif

Thats ok, but I have a feeling that in years to come you will change your mind on this a bit. I'm not intending to be patronising here, but once upon a time I lived and breathed music.

It's just that as life brings more commitments and responsibilities, you have to learn to prioritize, and although I still love music, it just douesn't seem as important as the major things any more.

Saying that, it would be a very sad day indeed for me if I learned that music would no longer play any part in my life

QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 27 2007, 12:04 PM)

Same here dude. It's like life, job and religion.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 27 2007, 02:14 PM)

laugh.gif

Thats ok, but I have a feeling that in years to come you will change your mind on this a bit. I'm not intending to be patronising here, but once upon a time I lived and breathed music.

It's just that as life brings more commitments and responsibilities, you have to learn to prioritize, and although I still love music, it just douesn't seem as important as the major things any more.

Saying that, it would be a very sad day indeed for me if I learned that music would no longer play any part in my life

You're wrong. To me, music is life. But, for the sake of your claim, I bet you twenty internet dollars that in twenty internet years this internet person you've never met will still love music as much as I do today.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 27 2007, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Feb 27 2007, 02:14 PM)

laugh.gif

You're wrong. To me, music is life. But, for the sake of your claim, I bet you twenty internet dollars that in twenty internet years this internet person you've never met will still love music as much as I do today.

laugh.gif

Twenty years is a LONG time, and a lot can happen...trust me on this.

Besides, I never claimed you wouldn't love music as much as you do now, it's just that other stuff will come along which is even more important.For example, if you have children it would be extremely wrong to love music more than them

However, in the spirit of sportsmanship, I'll take that virtual bet. wink.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 25 2007, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Feb 25 2007, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 25 2007, 12:48 PM)

And that off shoot of Reggae ,Ska?
Remember those UK  bands The English Beat,The Specials and who could forget Madness- House of Fun and ONE STEP BEYOND !!! They were funny reminded me of Monty Python. smile.gif

Wow, I really dug ska back in the early 80's. I still enjoy it for it's sense of humor, combined with some pretty sharp political commentary thrown in to boot. The Beat's first disc was a fav.

There's some decent ska revival 2 stuff out there. Save Ferris, Reel Big Fish, et al. Makes me want to dig up my old porkpie & skinny tie...

653.gif Skankin'!

I seen Lilly Allen on SNL a few weeks ago she reminded me of a blend between Ska,Reggae . Really good!! yes.gif smile.gif

I'll have to check it out!

QUOTE (Finbar @ Feb 26 2007, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Feb 24 2007, 12:34 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Feb 23 2007, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 23 2007, 05:40 PM)
Give your heads a shake, will ya???  There is a huge difference between the rap that YOU hear on the radio and rap/hip hop that is semi underground...or is underground (local).  You think K-Os is crap?  Just some guy talking with a beat?  Wake up. 

Those people on the radio?  Yeah they sold out.  THEY sold out to the industry.  Listen to something soulful... not the garbage you hear on the radio.  There are several rap/hip hop artists I could name that would be worth listening to.

I definitely agree with this. I used to think that all rap was the same gangsta-shit that is recycled over and over on MTV and the like. But after a Roots recommendation from both PuppetKing and my drumming teacher, I bought Phrenology and it's just really good. I've also heard a few tracks by The Beastie Boys which are really fun tunes.

Otherwise though, the gangster-rap is really, really bad shit.

On that list, I dislike most doo-wop (except for doo-wop songs from Zappa which are done tastefully), country, bluegrass, and Gregorian chant.

EDIT: BTW, I voted for Country. IMO, jazz, classical, and swing should not be on that list.

You should check out the bluegrass version of the Wall for a good laugh. Personally, I apreciate the musicianship of the genre, but it's much more tolerable live.

I love that album. Luther Wright and the Wrongs are great!

They should do Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, or even Piper at the Gates of Dawn! (IMFO, the greatest Pink Floyd album.) That'd be great! biggrin.gif

Bluegrass is great!

What's the band with former members of "X"...the Knitters? They're pretty cool. I wouldn't sit & listen to recorded bluegrass for an extended period, but as I stated before, live is very cool. With bluegrass, a musician can't hide his talent, or lack thereof, so I appreciate the genre a great deal.

goodpost.gif